rocksolid / rocksolid.nodes.announce / i have a feature request for rslight

SubjectAuthor
* rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
+* Re: rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
|`* Re: rslight-0.6.5dAnonUser
| `* Re: rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
|  `* Re: rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
|   `- Re: rslight-0.6.5dRetro Guy
+- this is your favorite guineapig againAnonymous
+- of, the threads are intact nowAnonymous
+* i have a feature request for rslightAnonymous
|`- Re: i have a feature request for rslightRetro Guy
+* i was too optimisticAnonymous
|`- Re: i was too optimisticRetro Guy
+* also missing indecesAnonymous
|`- Re: also missing indecesRetro Guy
+- status report :-)Anonymous
+- several newsserversAnonymous
+* NoneAnonymous
|`- Re: Noneanonymous
+* still problemsAnonymous
|`* Re: still problemsRetro Guy
| +- Re: still problemsRetro Guy
| `* Re: still problemsanonymous
|  `* Re: still problemsRetro Guy
|   `* Re: still problemsanon
|    +- Re: still problemsRetro Guy
|    `* Re: still problemsRetro Guy
|     `- Re: still problemsanonymous
+- message can be accessed nowAnonymous
+- i don't get itAnonymous
+- still not working, reallyAnonymous
+* charset in subjectsAnonymous
|`- Re: charset in subjectsRetro Guy
+- this was vichanAnonymous
+* first sync after changeAnonymous
|`* Re: first sync after changeRetro Guy
| `* Re: first sync after changeRetro Guy
|  `* Re: first sync after changeRetro Guy
|   `- Re: first sync after changeRetro Guy
+- deleted the spool filesAnonymous
+* that fixed social as wellAnonymous
|`- Re: that fixed social as wellRetro Guy
+- Re: rslight-0.6.5danon
+* the new function works at leastAnonymous
|`* Re: the new function works at leastRetro Guy
| `* Re: the new function works at leastanon
|  `- Re: the new function works at leastRetro Guy
+- so far so goodAnonymous
+* but the message is thereAnonymous
|`- Re: but the message is thereRetro Guy
+* okAnonymous
|`* Re: okRetro Guy
| `* Re: okRetro Guy
|  `* Re: okRetro Guy
|   `* Re: okRetro Guy
|    `* Re: okRetro Guy
|     `* Re: okRetro Guy
|      `* Re: okRetro Guy
|       `* Re: okRetro Guy
|        `- Re: okRetro Guy
+* watermarksAnonymous
|`- Re: watermarksRetro Guy
+* the new spoolnews.phpAnonymous
|`- Re: the new spoolnews.phpRetro Guy
+- seems to be workingAnonymous
+* now can you explain why the bugsAnonymous
|`- Re: now can you explain why the bugsRetro Guy
`- this fixed quite a lotAnonymous

Subject: rslight-0.6.5d
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 05:30 UTC
Rocksolid Light 0.6.5d has been applied to rslight.i2p as an upgrade. I'm running this on two test sites also.

Barring any major issues, I'll put a download online soon.

To upgrade, extract the .tgz file to a temporary location, then execute the <platform>-upgrade.sh file for your platform (as root).

This will overwrite everything in your web accessible directories except 'common', and will overwrite the scripts in <$config_dir>/scripts/

Distribution config files will be added to your config directory ending in .dist. Please check these for any additions that need to be copied to your current config files.

Once done, kill your nntp server (for example):
ps aux | grep nntp
www-data 18060 23.3  1.0 207924 10544 ?        Ss   May16 1297:33 php /etc/rslight/scripts/nntp.php
kill 18060

then allow it to restart when cron.php runs next. You may also just reboot if you wish. I plan to have an easier way to do this in a future release.

Note: Future upgrades may overwrite files in <$webroot>/common/, so if you have a custom style.css, header.php or images, copy them to mods/ or mods/images so they continue to be used.

news.novabbs.com

Subject: Re: rslight-0.6.5d
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 09:10 UTC
Minor changes and bug fixes in 0.6.5d include:

Fixed sending group descriptions to a newsreader whether they come from your local groups.txt file or upstream server, and make sure they are formatted properly for all currently tested newsreaders.

Changed local descriptions display to use your local groups.txt file if descriptions exist there, then only from upstream. This allows customization of descriptions locally, and not propagating them.

Allow groups.txt to be space or tab separated so pasting a file including either will work.

Fixed Xref header in local spool files as some newsreaders (Pan) use this header to then retrieve the message.

Added STAT command to nntp server, and modified spoolnews.php to use stat to check for duplicate article before pulling it. This reduces bandwidth use substantially if changing upstream news servers as rslight used to pull the entire article, then just discard it.

Also fixed another area of duplicate checking to make sure it is group specific, allowing for crossposted articles.

Fixed a bug where both overboard.php and result.php were overwriting a variable from config ($maxarticles). This didn't really cause a problem, but isn't good practice.

Added the ability to bind nntp server to all networks instead of just one address.

Added the ability to auto create accounts just by using them.

Added feature to return to group automatically after posting, without any need to click anything. Thanks to the "def" admin for this :)

Fixed search, finally!!!

Removed some unused code from a couple of files.

Minor bug fixes.

news.novabbs.com

From: AnonUser@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 23 May 2020 09:54 UTC
Still just touching up a few things:

Changed the delimiter in <section>-overview files to TAB. <group>-overview files already do, now all overview files do. 0.6.5x will continue to read the files with either delimiter, so already created lines still work.

I will add the icon for Latest (left of group names) to be checked in mods/images so it is not overwritten on upgrade.

That's it right now. Just did a full update on rslight.i2p (the OS) and applied the very latest rslight code after that. Also, made sure my i2p router is up to date.

www.novabbs.com

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 00:00 UTC
Attachments: rslight-pan.png (image/png)
rslight nntp server working fine with Pan (attached pic)

Attachments: rslight-pan.png
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 03:43 UTC
Added the port number to the filename where remote server pointers are stored. This is necessary mainly for i2p users as changing from one nntp server to another in i2p will probably still have the same hostname (the hostname of your router). This way it knows it's a different server.

Improved the self-identification of rslight sites, which is only used internally for some features. Spoofing would have been very simple, now it's quite a bit harder to do so (anything is possible).

Improved logging for spoolnews to help in troubleshooting, and force the script to exit much earlier if unable to connect to remote server.

Cleaned up spoolnews lock files to not allow send.php to run while pulling articles. I've been trying to duplicate the issue def is having, and cleaning up what I can think of. I haven't been able to duplicate the issue, but fixing this one, and improving troubleshooting are the result of this.

I may consider timing the connection to the remote server, and if it takes longer than 'x', assume we're on a slow network and taking a few extra steps to make sure we get/send as necessary. I think this might be better than asking an admin to set a variable to tell us, so maybe just test and see. I don't want to take these extra steps on clearnet, as it's just a waste of processing and time if not necessary.

www.novabbs.com

From: retroguy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 06:32 UTC
In trying to duplicate the problem on def2, I found a bug that MIGHT be the
issue. I was able to create posts that never showed up anywhere, or
sometimes in rocksolid.spam.

I see what was happening, and have made a fix in nntp.php.

If all seems ok, I'll have 0.6.5d online very soon.

Retro Guy

Subject: this is your favorite guineapig again
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 13:10 UTC
Attachments: unnamed (image/jpeg)
Just went through this upgrade step by step, and basically it all worked out well. The backups were not needed :-).
Just one thing noteworthy: some threads that used to be intact are fragmented now. So I guess the order of retrieval is also important to rslight.
I have not yet emptied the spool completely, but might do that as a next step (or not, I can live with some broken threads).

so far so good.

Attachments: unnamed
Subject: of, the threads are intact now
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 13:22 UTC
that is amazing, selfhealing, huh ?

Subject: i have a feature request for rslight
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 21:42 UTC
could you make an option to update from several different news servers ? it would be nice to check and connect to several sources in order to make the whole network more stable and fault tolerant.

Subject: i was too optimistic
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 22:55 UTC
the overboard has some problem, it runs partly and fails with a 500 to the client.
where does rslight log such things ?