+- so many bot requestsAnonymous
+- oh, and another thingAnonymous
+- this will take some more work to get it doneAnonymous
+- def2 is unstable for the time beingAnonymous
+* maximum file sizeAnonymous
|`- Re: maximum file sizeRetro Guy
+- also added a footerAnonymous
+* ok switching vichan back onAnonymous
|`- Re: ok switching vichan back onRetro Guy
+- Global varsAnonymous
+- def2 is fully switched to vichan nowAnonymous
`- Re: def2.i2p moving to vichananon

Subject: def2.i2p moving to vichan
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 13:13 UTC
Attachments: unnamed (image/png)
so, after some hours on the keyboard and some trial and error, i got a basic setup of vichan working together with rslight, so that they exchange messages in a meaningful way.
time to switch...
some explanations and remarks on this:

-the vichan interface will only be reachable under def2.i2p, not the tor address, at least for a while. i want to get some experience with this before i subject to the rough world of onions :-).
-the interface is new - the content is still the same. so just because this is an image board software, does not mean that we have a lot of images all of a sudden, or imageboard typical content. you might of course change this.
-also the rules for moderation have not changed - keep the pepe-the-frog memes, the "jews-did-it" and "nigga u r gay" bits to yourself, they are not welcome here and will be instantly deleted (thanks to the nice mod interface of vichan). Same goes for cp of any kind, and of course the other typical stuff (drugs, weapons, hitmen, cc, hacking as a service and so on).
-there _is_ a change in my attitude to js: this interface makes heavy use of it, and although you can use it without, you will miss some of the nicer features. so i still don't encourage you to have js switched on in general, but i have to admit that this sites setup encourages it (sigh).
-this is all still kind of beta, so if you find something not working, please report it and i will try to fix it.
-if you would like to see any plugin or feature enabled, drop me a line in this thread and i will look into it (no promises, though, some of the stuff is just ugly and/or bloatware).

enjoy,

trw

Attachments: unnamed
Subject: so many bot requests
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 16:02 UTC
the first effect from switching is that I see now how many bot requests I get on def2.i2p, apparently just scanning fixed addresses. some misconfigured search engine, most like.

Subject: oh, and another thing
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 21:49 UTC
i forgot to mention earlier: the dates of the messages are the dates of import, so it will be correct (or near correct) for new messages, but not corrent for the older ones. the order of the messages is preserved though, so you the oldest where you would expect them, at the end.

Subject: this will take some more work to get it done
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 19:18 UTC
Attachments: unnamed (image/png)
at least in a good way :-)

Attachments: unnamed
Subject: def2 is unstable for the time being
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 13:10 UTC
partly linked to the new surface, partly to some sync problems.
users are advised to use another node until this is straightened out.

working on it,

Subject: maximum file size
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 19:09 UTC
max file size on def2.i2p is set to 450 kb for the time being.
this is mostly to stay compatible with the rest of the rocksolid setup (some messages with bigger content have not been forwarded but silently dropped).
added ability to post text and zip files.
the syncing problems seems mostly solved by now, let's see if it stays stable.

Posted on def2.i2p

Subject: also added a footer
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 19:12 UTC
that will show once it is synced (so not on the side itself).
Posted on def2.i2p

Subject: Re: maximum file size
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 23:17 UTC
Anonymous wrote:

max file size on def2.i2p is set to 450 kb for the time being.
this is mostly to stay compatible with the rest of the rocksolid setup (some messages with bigger content have not been forwarded but silently dropped).
added ability to post text and zip files.
the syncing problems seems mostly solved by now, let's see if it stays stable.

My inn servers are set for 1M max size (default). Most of my usenet peers restrict incoming messaages anywhere from 32k (aioe) to 128k. Most messages larger than that won't propagate out of our network (which is ok, just making it known).

The size of a message is the actual size. As files take up more space when encoded for transport, and there are headers, etc., the size of the attachment would end up needing to be smaller to keep the messasge size within limits.

rslight does not limit message size, but I probably will add such a config option in the future. Most likely to match the 1M of the inn servers.

www.novabbs.com

Subject: ok switching vichan back on
From: poster@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 18:02 UTC
rslight is still working with the new solution, no so reason not to. still only i2p so far.

Posted on def2.i2p

Subject: Re: ok switching vichan back on
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 02:02 UTC
Anonymous wrote:

rslight is still working with the new solution, no so reason not to. still only i2p so far.

I believe there was a problem with global variables (I use way too many of them). It's possible we were changing a value where we really didn't want to do that, and it was messing up rslight.

If we don't source code from the rslight tree, it should be fine. If you need a function from rslight, just copy it and take it, running it separately from the rslight install.

Of course, we don't want to write to /var/spool/rslight at all from outside rslight stuff. If another spool is needed for something, we just create that.

www.novabbs.com