From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Subject: Plastic rain
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 06:22:06 -0700
 by: Anonymous - Sun, 14 Jun 2020 13:22 UTC

Holy shit, what's next ? We really have trashed this planet of ours good and proper.

Quote:

Microplastics were present in 98% of all of the wet and dry samples analyzed from U.S.protected areas. Observed microplastic particle sizes were between 4 and 188mm and fibersizes were between 20mmand~3mm,with average widths and depths of 18 and 6mm,respectively (fig. S2). Approximately 70% of the particles were within the size range forlongrange and even global transport of dust(<25mm) (6,7), whereas most fiber lengths suggested regional transport (10 to 1000 km)(8).

End quote

Read the full text here:

https://sci-hub.uno/10.1126/science.aaz5819

--
Posted on def2

Re: Plastic rain

<2bd89cc9c7ccda3ac2a748459ddfc77e$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=175&group=rocksolid.shared.news#175

From: AnonU...@rslight.i2p (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Subject: Re: Plastic rain
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 09:56 UTC
 by: AnonUser - Mon, 15 Jun 2020 09:56 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> Holy shit, what's next ? We really have trashed this planet of ours good and proper.

The planet really is a mess. I'm not one who thinks it can't recover but the more we abuse it the longer that can take.

> Quote:

> Microplastics were present in 98% of all of the wet and dry samples analyzed from U.S.protected areas. Observed microplastic particle sizes were between 4 and 188mm and fibersizes were between 20mmand~3mm,with average widths and depths of 18 and 6mm,respectively (fig. S2). Approximately 70% of the particles were within the size range forlongrange and even global transport of dust(<25mm) (6,7), whereas most fiber lengths suggested regional transport (10 to 1000 km)(8).

You had me highly concerned that I might get hit by one of these things until I read the article and saw it's µm and not mm. That 7 1/2 inch piece of plastic flying at me sounds scary lol.

> End quote

> Read the full text here:

> https://sci-hub.uno/10.1126/science.aaz5819

We're destroying ourselves by being forced to breathe and eat this shit.
--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
rslight.i2p

yeah, size matters

<ne.1398.rkh2i@anon.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=176&group=rocksolid.shared.news#176

From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.news
Subject: yeah, size matters
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 11:26:02 -0700
logging-data="13514"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def5.org"
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 16 Jun 2020 18:26 UTC

>That 7 1/2 inch piece of plastic flying at me sounds scary lol.

Although I agree this sounds scary, the smaller particles might be worse for you as they can enter the body more easily, if small enough you can just breath them in.
If any animal would "learn" how to integrate these polymers into its body it might be a big evolutionary step for it.

--
Posted on def2