Subject: NoCeM from novabbs
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 05:05 UTC
I believe I have NoCeM working now (I can send a cancel post that works)

This is used as a way to cancel spam across servers. Only an install set up to act on the posts will actually cancel (or allow:hide) a message.

All my servers now act on the messages I send except for i2pn.org, which passes everything through. If you wish to respond to the posts and act on them, you will need to set up NoCeM on your end:

https://www.mankier.com/8/perl-nocem#Description

The key needed to verify is here: https://news.novabbs.com/hierarchy/nocem.txt
(or rslight.i2p/hierarchy/nocem.txt)

If you are curious what I list, please reference the message-ids in the post.

Subject: Re: NoCeM from novabbs
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 05:08 UTC
Retro Guy wrote:

If you are curious what I list, please reference the message-ids in the post.

It might help if I mention where I post. All NoCeM messages by me are posted to 'rocksolid.spam'

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 07:49 UTC
I've cleaned up the format of the posts to show more info:

Sender, Date and Subject for each message listed.

Took a bit to get the posts through the spam filter :)

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 16:01 UTC

All NoCeM messages by me are posted to 'rocksolid.spam'
I have created that group on def2. Not sure if I will install the software or not yet.

Was the ddos attack bots posting spam or what ? in that case a captcha will go a long way. just saying...

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2019 10:05 UTC
anon wrote:

All NoCeM messages by me are posted to 'rocksolid.spam'
I have created that group on def2. Not sure if I will install the software or not yet.

It's just a way to have the posts automatically deleted without intervention. There's really not much spam that gets through, but when it does, I need to delete it on every one of my servers, which is a pain. This way, I just list it once and all the servers delete it. Also, I receive quite a bit of legal notice (Defamation) from EU law firms asking for posts to be taken down. While I'm not legally obligated to do anything as I'm not in the EU, the posts are pointless crap in mostly programming groups calling people (not posters in the groups) assassins, pedos, etc., so I take them down, and this allows me to do it easily and in bulk (there are a lot of such posts.)

Was the ddos attack bots posting spam or what ? in that case a captcha will go a long way. just saying...

The dos is hits at a very fast rate (many per second) to the same resources over and over again, and multiple pages simultaneously. It does not fit the fingerprint of a spider, but of software designed to shut down a site. This ties up the server processes and then the web server appears down (no more processes available). This has been increasing rapidly over the past few weeks to the point that I temporarily was restarting the web server in a cron job to keep it running.

Nothing to do with spam, it's just what appears to be intentional overwhelming of the server. Seems to be fine now that the connections can be dropped quickly. It's really not much different than what fail2ban would do.

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2019 21:04 UTC

It's just a way to have the posts automatically deleted >without intervention. There's really not much spam that gets >through, but when it does, I need to delete it on every one >of my servers, which is a pain. This way, I just list it once >and all the servers delete it.

seems like a nice solution. for me it is enough if i can follow your cancels. i have written a little script for convenient deletion.

Also, I receive quite a bit of legal notice (Defamation) from >EU law firms asking for posts to be taken down. While I'm not >legally obligated to do anything as I'm not in the EU, the >posts are pointless crap in mostly programming groups calling >people (not posters in the groups) assassins, pedos, etc.,

makes me glad i stayed out of the clearnet. i never received any requests like this, but i would probably just ignore them.

The dos is hits at a very fast rate (many per second) to the >same resources over and over again, and multiple pages >simultaneously. It does not fit the fingerprint of a spider, >but of software designed to shut down a site. This ties up >the server processes and then the web server appears down (no >more processes available). This has been increasing rapidly >over the past few weeks to the point that I temporarily was >restarting the web server in a cron job to keep it running.

so you're saying somebody is trying to shut your servers down ? strange. some pointless vandalism...

Nothing to do with spam, it's just what appears to be >intentional overwhelming of the server. Seems to be fine now >that the connections can be dropped quickly. It's really not >much different than what fail2ban would do.

good that you found a way to solve this.