Subject: Internet of shit : this time, the doorbell
From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 00:24 UTC
Attachments: Hackable-Home_Inline-960x480.jpg (image/jpeg)
From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 16:24:08 -0800
https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/11/the-smart-video-doorbells-letting-hackers-into-your-home/

Quote/

The model we tested – the Victure VD300 – sends your wi-fi name and password to servers in China unencrypted. Any hacker able to intercept this data could waltz right into your home network and gain access to other devices on it. This problematic doorbell is a number one bestseller on Amazon, with a review score of 4.3 out of 5 from over 1,000 ratings.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/11/the-smart-video-doorbells-letting-hackers-into-your-home/ - Which?

lmao.

Rant/
I can't believe that there are people out there earning money with code that is so shitty that it would make Bill Gates blush. And I can't believe that there are people out there buying that shit.
/Rant

Attachments: Hackable-Home_Inline-960x480.jpg
Subject: Re: Internet of shit : this time, the doorbell
From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 09:48 UTC
From: Anonym...@rslight.i2p (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.security
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 09:48:09 +0000
View all headers
Anonymous wrote:

Rant/
I can't believe that there are people out there earning money with code that is so shitty that it would make Bill Gates blush. And I can't believe that there are people out there buying that shit. /Rant

People buy it because they have no idea of the issue. Most wouldn't understand if you tried to explain it and then they may think you're just a nut.

I bought a wireless security cam a few years ago and tried to hook it up. It's a nice camera but connecting to wireless was impossible (eventually I figured it out). I assumed it would use dhcp, but no. It took me days to find out digging online that it has a burned in ip address and apparently assumes it will match up with everyone's setup. I eventually fired up an old wireless router and set it to match just to see if the camera actually worked (it did). Who ships a product without putting even the least thought into such simple things?

No, I never did use the camera. It's sitting in a box somewhere.
news.novabbs.org