Subject: is perl required for rocksolid?
From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-67h-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 08:38 UTC
  To: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
I understand that perl is a real crappy lang.
www.rocksolidbbs.com

Subject: Re: is perl required for rocksolid?
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 08:55 UTC
AnonUser wrote:

  To: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
I understand that perl is a real crappy lang.

rocksolid is a group of forums that are shared among sites. Perl would only be required if the specific site your using requires perl.

Afaik, most interfaces use php, and def4 makes an impressive use of bash to get it done.

Now if you want to run your own news server to sync to another server, that can require perl if using the most common software, inn, but you really don't need to play with the code for that.

I'm not a perl programmer, what have you heard that makes people consider it crappy?

news.novabbs.com

From: me@usenet.invalid (Me)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 09:02 UTC

turns out,   Rocksolid Light (news.novabbs.com/getrslight) is some sort of news user-agent, NUA.

they really know how to confuse everybody with their silly names.

Subject: perl sucks
From: me@usenet.invalid (Me)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 09:05 UTC
On 2020-01-31 08:55, Retro Guy wrote:

I'm not a perl programmer, what have you heard that makes people consider it crappy?

I remember a posting by a guy who was adamnt on this.

his arguments were pretty sound. perl lacks everything that good langs need.

even Linus Torvalds had it banned from the kernel toolset for good measure.

Subject: Re: perl sucks
From: retrobbs2@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.rocksolid
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 10:18 UTC
Me[11
wrote on Fri, 31 January 2020 09:05]On 2020-01-31 08:55, Retro Guy wrote:

 I'm not a perl programmer, what have you heard that makes people consider it crappy?

I remember a posting by a guy who was adamnt on this.

his arguments were pretty sound. perl lacks everything that good langs need.

even Linus Torvalds had it banned from the kernel toolset for good measure.

and Torvalds is a programmer, unlike Mr retroGuy. but it is great that non-programmers run websites these days...  :evil:  :twisted: