Subject: def3 server stats
From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 12:52 UTC

def3 is at ca 100k single requests per day, which makes the little machine run like hell. might have to upgrade the hardware if that corona situation goes on (because i guess the spike is liked to that).

Subject: Re: def3 server stats
From: retroguy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 23:08 UTC
anon wrote:

def3 is at ca 100k single requests per day, which makes the little machine
run like hell. might have to upgrade the hardware if that corona situation
goes on (because i guess the spike is liked to that).

Sounds like it's handling it pretty well. How small a system are you
running?

Retro Guy

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2020 11:26 UTC

The vm has:
CPu: 3,8 Mhz single core
Ram: 128 mb

I think Ram is the critical resso├║rce, I get a 503 sometimes now without anything being wrong.

cheers

trw Posted on def4

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-5k9-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 10:00 UTC
  To: anon
anon wrote:

The vm has:
CPu: 3,8 Mhz single core
Ram: 128 mb

I think Ram is the critical resso├║rce, I get a 503 sometimes now without anything being wrong.

Have you looked at how many php processes are running at any given time? It may be failed processes that are not being killed.

I've found that timed out php processes can remain, but no longer serve a purpose. I had a lot of trouble with apache as a server. With nginx, I'm able to modify configuration and the problem is gone for me. What web server are you using? If Apache, are you using mod_php? If nginx or lighttpd (or even synchronet), you most likely are using php-fpm, which is probably the best choice, but then you you might need to edit config a bit to run fudforum (or rslight) to handle a bigger load.

When I ran fudforum on apache, with a lot of connections, I had to set a cron job to kill old php processes. I don't do that at all now with nginx, but did need to add a couple of lines to nginx.conf to allow a longer timeout.

Posted on: RetroBBS
www.rocksolidbbs.com

From: anon@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 21:35 UTC

Have you looked at how many php processes are running at any given time? It may be failed processes that are not being killed. I've found that timed out php processes can remain, but no longer serve a purpose.

No, I did not check this yet, but thanks for the hint.

I had a lot of trouble with apache as a server. With nginx, I'm able to modify configuration and the problem is gone for me.

What exactly did you modify ?

What web server are you using? If Apache, are you using mod_php? If nginx or lighttpd (or even synchronet), you most likely are using php-fpm, which is probably the best choice, but then you you might need to edit config a bit to run fudforum (or rslight) to handle a bigger load.

I run nginx + php-fpm.

When I ran fudforum on apache, with a lot of connections, I had to set a cron job to kill old php processes. I don't do that at all now with nginx, but did need to add a couple of lines to nginx.conf to allow a longer timeout.

I will look into that, thanks a lot. Apache generally performs less good then nginx when it comes to a lot of connections, one of the reasons for me to avoid it.

Posted on def4

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 06:37 UTC
anon wrote:

I had a lot of trouble with apache as a server. With nginx, I'm able to modify configuration and the problem is gone for me.

What exactly did you modify ?

Here are the additions to my nginx.conf

    ## fastcgi
    fastcgi_max_temp_file_size 0;
    fastcgi_buffers 128 2048k;
    fastcgi_buffer_size 2048k;

    fastcgi_read_timeout 600;
    fastcgi_send_timeout 600;

    proxy_buffering on;
    proxy_buffer_size 128k;
    proxy_buffers 4 256k;
    proxy_busy_buffers_size 256k;

news.novabbs.com

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 08:43 UTC
Retro Guy wrote:

anon wrote:

I had a lot of trouble with apache as a server. With nginx, I'm able to modify configuration and the problem is gone for me.

What exactly did you modify ?

Here are the additions to my nginx.conf

    ## fastcgi
    fastcgi_max_temp_file_size 0;
    fastcgi_buffers 128 2048k;
    fastcgi_buffer_size 2048k;

    fastcgi_read_timeout 600;
    fastcgi_send_timeout 600;

    proxy_buffering on;
    proxy_buffer_size 128k;
    proxy_buffers 4 256k;
    proxy_busy_buffers_size 256k;

I should mention these go inside http { }

section.

news.novabbs.com