Subject: software for family
From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:14 UTC
From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 12:14:52 +0000
View all headers
My child has been watching porn and he keeps getting away with it, he closes the sites before i can see them and my wife doesnt belive me. I cant get his search history because he has tor. Can anyone tell me where can I find an app that records his screen and lets me view it in realtime? I tried to hide obs on his computer but he is good with computers and found it right away. If anyone asks why dont I just punish him is because I want real proof, I dont want to seem abusive to my family and overconfident.

Subject: Re: software for family
From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 20:05 UTC
From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 20:05:56 +0000
View all headers
I dont want to seem abusive to my family

Then don't _be_ abusive. What of it if your son watches porn ? In any event, it is his business, so leave him the fuck alone.

From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 08:41 UTC
From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 08:41:31 +0000
View all headers
Anonymous wrote:

My child has been watching porn and he keeps getting away with it, he closes the sites before i can see them and my wife doesnt belive me. I cant get his search history because he has tor. Can anyone tell me where can I find an app that records his screen and lets me view it in realtime? I tried to hide obs on his computer but he is good with computers and found it right away. If anyone asks why dont I just punish him is because I want real proof, I dont want to seem abusive to my family and overconfident.

So your son is curious and normal? How about you leave him alone and let him enjoy himself now and then. There are a hell of a lot of things he could be doing that are actually bad to do, watching porn isn't one of them.

From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 22:04 UTC
From: Anonym...@rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 22:04:10 +0000
View all headers
Why don't you just block tor on your network?

From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 21:57 UTC
From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 21:57:36 +0000
View all headers
Well, for one, that probably wouldn't do much, since bridges and such exist. Even if he couldn't connect to Tor, he can still, you know, delete his browsing history or use incognito mode.

And second, just let him watch porn for god's sake.

From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 13:32 UTC
From: Anonym...@rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 13:32:16 +0000
View all headers
I think that "just let him watch porn" is not a very good response. You don't know their household dynamics or their culture, and rather than providing help you are instead judging and trying to impose on them your own value system. Children are under the protection and guidance of their parents. Surely you would not advocate a parenting model that allows the child to abuse animals, or to steal from the homeless, or to rape other children. If you can accept that it is the parent's role to establish boundaries for the child from these things, then you must accept that some families are going to establish boundaries that you don't agree with, but that doesn't make them wrong.

So let's reframe the question: his child is using Tor on his home network to spread Trumpian politics and white supremacy. The OP does not want the internet service or home network that he pays for to be used for these purposes. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, yes, he will have a good father-to-son discussion with his child. But beyond that, what technical steps would you also recommend?

From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 04:43 UTC
From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 04:43:41 +0000
View all headers
For fucks sake, you do realize that this discussion takes place on an anonymous board, right ?
And no, blocking internet access is not a solution, and it would not block "trumpism" anyway.
 Also watching porn is not rape.

From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 00:17 UTC
From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 00:17:40 +0000
View all headers
Anonymous wrote:

So let's reframe the question: his child is using Tor on his home network to spread Trumpian politics and white supremacy. The OP does not want the internet service or home network that he pays for to be used for these purposes. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, yes, he will have a good father-to-son discussion with his child. But beyond that, what technical steps would you also recommend?

"Son, your political opinions are incorrect"

From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 00:16 UTC
From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 00:16:44 +0000
View all headers

From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 04:51 UTC
From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 04:51:30 +0000
View all headers
So let's reframe the question: his child is using Tor on his home network to spread Trumpian politics and white supremacy. The OP does not want the internet service or home network that he pays for to be used for these purposes. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, yes, he will have a good father-to-son discussion with his child. But beyond that, what technical steps would you also recommend?

I have a counterquestion for you: why do you think that a social conflict should be resolved by technical means ? The son watches porn, promotes Trump or whatever you don't approve of, why does that mean that the father should look for a technical "solution" to this ?

Going right down to it, the actual question here is: should you manipulate a technical system like tor, which is designed to enable privacy and anonymity, in order to impose your view of the world on others ? And the answer on this is no, of course. This is how tor works. I'm sure that the coding team behind does not approve of all the content that is published with the help of the tor software, but they do what they do regardless, and do not put backdoors and controls in their code (I hope at least)...

From: Anonymous
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 08:11 UTC
From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.helpdesk
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 08:11:38 +0000
View all headers
Anonymous wrote:

So let's reframe the question: his child is using Tor on his home network to spread Trumpian politics and white supremacy. The OP does not want the internet service or home network that he pays for to be used for these purposes. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, yes, he will have a good father-to-son discussion with his child. But beyond that, what technical steps would you also recommend?

I have a counterquestion for you: why do you think that a social conflict should be resolved by technical means ? The son watches porn, promotes Trump or whatever you don't approve of, why does that mean that the father should look for a technical "solution" to this ?

I can tell you from personal experience that prohibiting porn for a teen doesn't work. You can make it as difficult as possible and they'll just end up resenting you in the end. Kids who are deprived of things they want to do sometimes just end up going to far with it once they get out of their parent's control. It ends up messing them up in ways you don't anticipate.