From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Subject: uml vs lkvm
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 17:42:11+0000
 by: anon - Sat, 14 Jul 2018 17:42 UTC

Any form of comparison is welcome.

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: uml vs lkvm

<8c8298bff0094e7e880ad90e3aac3ffe@def4.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Subject: Re: uml vs lkvm
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 19:48:42+0000
 by: anon - Sat, 14 Jul 2018 19:48 UTC

don't know enough about the subject, but these people maybe do:

https://virt.kernelnewbies.org/

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: uml vs lkvm

<25d6cb2b524796095225ef5a70d5935c$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: Retro ...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 11:25:49 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="31393"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 15 Jul 2018 11:25 UTC

anon wrote:

> Any form of comparison is welcome.

> Posted on def4.i2p

I have some thoughts, but may be outdated:

I used uml several times, but quite a while ago. I found it easy to set up
and use, but not particularly fast.

My experience with kvm is much more recent, and I'm quite pleased with it.
It's fast, but not necessarily easy to manage. I'm sure it is once you get
used to it, but if you just set some vms up to run and don't mess with
them much, I need a cheat sheet to work with them.

I do run vboxheadless also, and find it very competitive with kvm. I'm
pleased with both.

I may take some time to mess with uml again, assuming it has progressed
quite a bit since my last experiences with it.

That's about all I have atm.

Posted on Rocksolid Light.

Re: uml vs lkvm

<1f6630cd4eac47955f022122e4b01782@def4.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 21:48:41+0000
 by: anon - Sat, 14 Jul 2018 21:48 UTC

Not happening, just legitimately tried lkvm and it's performance is horrible compared to other kvm solutions, they also tried really hard to push it into mainline but failed for multiple reasons. Also I've been there before (lxc can be weird with it's problems) nothing comes up for kvmtool or lkvm on the forums or the wiki.

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: uml vs lkvm

<884b14a07fc77e287c546488a6721103@def4.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 22:38:40+0000
 by: anon - Sat, 14 Jul 2018 22:38 UTC

can't help you here, using qemu myself (and pretty satisfied).

Posted on def4.i2p

Re: uml vs lkvm

<7e8c3a3ba2b87930498efd8cc9f8181b@def4.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 19:59:25+0000
 by: anon - Sun, 15 Jul 2018 19:59 UTC

I just found out about ukvm and it seams to be worse off than lkvm, back to qemu for my kvm solution.

> I may take some time to mess with uml again, assuming it has progressed quite a bit since my last experiences with it.

Depends skas is default now and in mainline with uml but the patches to other architectures like mips (or was it sparc) and arm are long dead also musl based toolchains can't build uml correctly the patches for it are broken again (and it was just fixed recently). I wonder if putting jail on uml's cmdline breaks some of the changes of skas.

Posted on def4.i2p