Rocksolid Light

Welcome to novaBBS

register   nodelist   faq

To request a group be added, ask in Rocksolid Nodes and specify 'novabbs'

rocksolid / Programming / Re: vichan to do list

SubjectAuthor
* Re: vichan to do listanon
+- Re: vichan to do listRetro Guy
`* Re: vichan to do listanon
 `* Re: vichan to do listRetro Guy
  `* Re: vichan to do listRetro Guy
   `* Re: vichan to do listRetro Guy
    `* Re: vichan to do listanonymous

Subject: Re: vichan to do list
From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 06:14 UTC
Retro Guy wrote:

anon wrote:

Feel free to try the VICHAN command again on the test server nntp server.

I could reach your server now, and tried it. It works well for articles with text only, for articles with attachments it returns nothing.

See this, for example:

vichan <ts.368.2r2bix@anon.com>

It also currently only accepts an article number, not message-id. I didn't put a lot of effort into implementing the command until we decide whether we want it. If so, adding message-id is easy, I already do it for the article command.

I have added ability to pull article by message-id for each command:
ARTICLE
BODY
HEAD
VICHAN

Also, I have applied your fix to vichan.php, thanks!

This is running on the test site right now.

www.novabbs.com

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2020 06:20 UTC
Retro Guy wrote:

Retro Guy wrote:

anon wrote:

Feel free to try the VICHAN command again on the test server nntp server.

I could reach your server now, and tried it. It works well for articles with text only, for articles with attachments it returns nothing.

See this, for example:

vichan <ts.368.2r2bix@anon.com>

It also currently only accepts an article number, not message-id. I didn't put a lot of effort into implementing the command until we decide whether we want it. If so, adding message-id is easy, I already do it for the article command.

I have added ability to pull article by message-id for each command:
ARTICLE
BODY
HEAD
VICHAN

Also, I have applied your fix to vichan.php, thanks!

This is running on the test site right now.

I've just uploaded nntp.php and vichan.php to the download site. I moved this stuff into a subdir '/testing'.

vichan.php contains your fix.
nntp.php supports vichan, and search by message-id

www.novabbs.com

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 01:01 UTC

a little update:

the good part: i could integrate your code, and together with the other lib i could build a solution that works locally without interfering with rslight (to be confirmed, of course).
that could be made into a solution that runs also without a local newsserver if vichan_message_read could get the article from a news server instead of reading it from the spool.
Also, I managed now to give the articles directly to vichan, without writing it to disk first and I can also capture the reply and do something with it, like syncing again later in case of errors (not implemented yet). All this makes the syncing faster and more reliable.
On the bad side, I have apparently trashed my vichan installation with all the hacking and trying i did, and I can't figure out what I broke exactly. So this will take some more time, until I know all the ins and outs of this software. cheers

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 01:30 UTC

On the bad side, I have apparently trashed my vichan

note to self: rtfm. was setting an option to true where a regex was expected.

Posted on def4

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 07:31 UTC
anon wrote:

a little update:

the good part: i could integrate your code, and together with the other lib i could build a solution that works locally without interfering with rslight (to be confirmed, of course).
that could be made into a solution that runs also without a local newsserver if vichan_message_read could get the article from a news server instead of reading it from the spool.

That can be done pretty easily. What I don't know is how do you know what article number you want to retrieve? Do you keep track, or just ask for the next article and if it doesn't exist, quit?

Also, I managed now to give the articles directly to vichan, without writing it to disk first and I can also capture the reply and do something with it, like syncing again later in case of errors (not implemented yet). All this makes the syncing faster and more reliable.

Are you sending now through nntp commands, or still placing in rslight outgoing spool?

On the bad side, I have apparently trashed my vichan installation with all the hacking and trying i did, and I can't figure out what I broke exactly. So this will take some more time, until I know all the ins and outs of this software.

Done that before :)

www.novabbs.com

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 07:57 UTC
Retro Guy wrote:

anon wrote:

a little update:

the good part: i could integrate your code, and together with the other lib i could build a solution that works locally without interfering with rslight (to be confirmed, of course).
that could be made into a solution that runs also without a local newsserver if vichan_message_read could get the article from a news server instead of reading it from the spool.

That can be done pretty easily. What I don't know is how do you know what article number you want to retrieve? Do you keep track, or just ask for the next article and if it doesn't exist, quit?

I changed vichan.php to use a news server instead of a spool. It seems to be working fine:

$ ./vichan.php 91 rocksolid.shared.test
O:11:"messageType":2:{s:6:"header";O:10:"headerType":27:{s:6:"number";N;s:2:"id";s:59:"<635faa159efe9999f6f2b469d70207e6$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>";s:4:"from";s:18:"anonymous@anon.com";s:4:"name";s:9:"anonymous";s:7:"subject";s:34:"testing after upgrade to rslight d";s:10:"newsgroups";s:21:"rocksolid.shared.test";s:8:"followup";N;s:4:"date";i:1590583800;s:11:"date_thread";N;s:12:"organization";s:4:"def2";s:10:"xnoarchive";N;s:10:"references";N;s:13:"bestreference";N;s:25:"content_transfer_encoding";s:4:"8bit";s:12:"mime_version";N;s:12:"content_type";a:1:{i:0;s:10:"text/plain";}s:20:"content_type_charset";a:1:{i:0;s:5:"utf-8";}s:17:"content_type_name";a:1:{i:0;s:7:"unnamed";}s:21:"content_type_boundary";N;s:19:"content_type_format";a:1:{i:0;s:6:"flowed";}s:7:"answers";N;s:8:"isAnswer";b:0;s:8:"username";s:9:"anonymous";s:10:"user_agent";s:45:"Rocksolid Light (news.novabbs.com/getrslight)";s:7:"isReply";N;s:10:"threadsize";N;s:12:"rslight_site";s:60:"$2y$10$iwF363fhTVNz2W/yh0h6kO99Zid/znmcJHaaT5rXt47tlJppHDmo2";}s:4:"body";a:1:{i:0;s:49:"well ?
z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion
";}}

This requests article 91 of rocksolid.shared.test. vichan.php then contacts a nntp server and requests the article, then converts it to output vichan can use. It does not look to a spool at all, so no local spool necessary.

I'll upload it now as vichan_nntp.php to the download directory. You will need to configure the server name and other info in the file before it will work (so it can contact the server).

www.novabbs.com

From: anonym...@anon.com (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 12:24 UTC
That can be done pretty easily. What I don't know is how do you know what article number you want to retrieve? Do you keep track, or just ask for the next article and if it doesn't exist, quit?

I ask the server for the group listings and then just walk through all the articles that don't exist already in my local index file (so yes, i keep track of what i received on my end).

Are you sending now through nntp commands, or still placing in rslight outgoing spool?

Talking about outgoing (so from vichan to rslight), i still use the spool. this is the next thing to change, though. after that change you can run vichan standalone and just connect to a remote news server.
In the text you were referring to I was talking about the opposite, getting articles into vichan. Before, I was just reading the oldest file in a defined directory, which was kind of lame. Now I have recoded the post routine and I post the articles directly (as a json object) to a php script that reads them from php://input and parses them (and then inserts them into vichan of course).
Doing this, you can also push articles from remote (so two instances of vichan could push directly messages to each other). Some work still to be done to achieve this, of course.
But I like the idea very much to have a way to cut out the middle man so to speak and sync messages directly via http, as it is much easier to setup and in some instances would also be faster (of course this cannot fully substitute syncing via news servers, because they are so much more reliable for this, but it could be a nice feature especially for new admins).

I will try out your new code now, and try to build something that I can share. If everything works as planned, it should be enough to add two scripts to an vichan installation to hook it up to our newsgroups.

z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion

From: anonym...@anon.com (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 12:36 UTC
vichan_nntp.php

it gives:

#!/usr/bin/php
b:0;

care to rename :-] ?

can't wait to try that, as it will also make it very easy to use several news servers for updating.

z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion

From: anonym...@anon.com (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 15:03 UTC
meaning there is the executable (.php) in the download area, not the source (.txt).
z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 22:36 UTC
anonymous wrote:

vichan_nntp.php

it gives:

#!/usr/bin/php
b:0;

care to rename :-] ?

can't wait to try that, as it will also make it very easy to use several news servers for updating.

oops, sorry. It's changed now: vichan_nntp.php.txt

www.novabbs.com

Pages:12
rocksolid light 0.6.5f
clearnet i2p tor