From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Subject: void or artix
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 07:30:41 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 07:30 UTC

Am looking for a systemdless distro to use, and have decided that void linux (which c library to use I'm still not sure, don't know if something isn't supported by musl) and artix would be the best picks for me. I'm quite torn between the two though, and don't know if one would be better than the other. In order to decide I would appreciate some takes from people who have used one or both of the distributions, so that I have more information to make a decision. Huge thanks.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: void or artix

<afcfdffd4363a2538a5b83ec454cd182@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Subject: Re: void or artix
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 07:53:15 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Mon, 24 Jan 2022 07:53 UTC

Anonymous wrote:

> Am looking for a systemdless distro to use, and have decided that void linux (which c library to use I'm still not sure, don't know if something isn't supported by musl) and artix would be the best picks for me. I'm quite torn between the two though, and don't know if one would be better than the other. In order to decide I would appreciate some takes from people who have used one or both of the distributions, so that I have more information to make a decision. Huge thanks.

I have not tried either yet, but reading about them, I might lean toward void simply because I had trouble with Arch in the past (the trouble was me, I really just wanted to use it and it was too cutting edge maybe for me at the time)

void seems a bit more standard with the leaning toward a package system. For C, maybe GNU only again for standarization.

This might not be helpful, but it's my impression anyway just from reading about them.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: void or artix

<ad3aa0c696f8a2ea8315baed02c4bb17@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 10:18:57 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Tue, 25 Jan 2022 10:18 UTC

Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: void or artix

<5755b5e9502feb756511051ec04fe926@rocksolidbbs.com>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: Anonym...@rocksolidbbs.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 17:51:51 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Wed, 9 Feb 2022 17:51 UTC

Void is not bad. I tried it for a few weeks. Just like any start from little it requires screen time. If you want some tips for installing it you can get plenty from this awesome Qubes install:

https://forum.qubes-os.org/t/qubes-os-installation-btrfs-w-detached-encrypted-boot-and-header/7234

Unfortunately I can't use this type of an install because I mate some hardware devices that get in the way. You can take bits and pieces for your purpose. I do.

mkfs.btrfs --csum blake2b is one of them.

--
Posted on RetroBBS

Re: void or artix

<405e0cf12e096002c358aa27c39694ea@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 21:03:48 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Fri, 13 Jan 2023 21:03 UTC

ARTIX
void is niggerlicious distro that promotes BLM (eww) and musl sucks that you can't do any real work on void

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: void or artix

<368370bac679dc1a6cacf034487c5805@news.novabbs.org>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: Anonym...@news.novabbs.org (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 19:48:32 +0000
 by: Anonymous - Thu, 26 Jan 2023 19:48 UTC

I have used both distros as daily drivers. First one was Artix after leaving Arch because of systemd. It was as fine and stable as Arch, until Xorg fucked itself in the ass one day during a kernel update. When I rebooted, there was no kernel. Of course I fixed it, but I didn't want it to happen again, so I hopped to Void.

Have been using it for a couple months now, and zero problems so far. It definitely boots faster than Artix, and is way more minimalist. One thing you might consider as an inconvenience is that it doesn't have packages for forks of Firefox and Chromium, like UGC and Librewolf, though you can make your own packages, compile it yourself or use the AppImage.

About the C library, I personally use the glibc version. If you're going for musl, there is a glibc compatibility layer for it called gcompat.

If you have a simple work environment with not many proprietary software or big and complicated software in general, it might be worth considering using musl, because the simplicity and lower attack surface that comes with it *is* worth it.

>void linux supports BLM
Who cares? It's not even a technical issue, so it has no value whatsoever. Critiquing the devs' point of view and who they are and ignoring what they actually do is called argumentum ad hominem. You wouldn't be so happy if someone said to everyone that every software of yours is bad because you're, for example, white. You're just throwing their entire work aside because of dumb identity politics. Open your eyes and grow up.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light