rocksolid / rocksolid.nodes.announce / Re: New default theme for def3

SubjectAuthor
* New default theme for def3trw
+* Re: New default theme for def3trw
|`- Re: New default theme for def3Retro Guy
`* Re: New default theme for def3AnonUser
 `* Re: New default theme for def3trw
  +- Re: New default theme for def3Retro Guy
  `* Re: New default theme for def3AnonUser
   `* Re: New default theme for def3trw
    +- Re: New default theme for def3trw
    `* Re: New default theme for def3Retro Guy
     `* Re: New default theme for def3trw
      `* Re: New default theme for def3Guest
       `- Re: New default theme for def3trw

Subject: New default theme for def3
From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 20:53 UTC
I have finally decided to change the theme. This is not the final version, but I like the colors and concept, so I will
take it as a base. Thanks to the coder who did the original, it is called "Dark penguin".
If you want the old theme back, you can change that for your account in the control panel after logging in.

Let me know if there are any specific painpoints or wishes with the new theme. I am already working on an overbaord
(latest messages).

cheers

trw Posted on: def3.i2p

Subject: Re: New default theme for def3
From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2019 22:06 UTC
Thanks to <<guest>>, def3 has a new css which has much better looks than the previous one. It took me some time to check and doublecheck it (css can be malicious both towards the server and the user), and I changed one detail, but now I have to say it is really nice. Good job, guest.

Let me know if there should be any glitches or if a functionality should not work like expected.

cheers

trw Posted on def3

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-122a-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 08:57 UTC
  To: trw
trw wrote:

Thanks to <<guest>>, def3 has a new css which has much better looks than the
previous one. It took me some time to check and doublecheck it (css can be malicious both towards the server and the user), and I changed one detail, but now I have to say it is really nice.
Good job, guest.

Looks very nice! Browsing around a bit now.

From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-n1t-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 18:27 UTC
Attachments: forum.css.patch (text/x-diff)
The new theme looks great! However, there are a few bugs or issues the
theme.

The font-size for the tr element with class .MsgR2 in the posts is a bit
too small. I was playing around with the values and 12px looks better and
more readable.

There's also a bug with .ContentTable's negative margins making both the
top ("Show: Today's Messages..." etc.) and bottom (login form) overlap
with it. It also overlaps with controls when you look at a thread. It
looks like it was done that way to remove the borders within the posts,
but that can be solved another way, css list item selectors.

In the same table the numbers for messages and topics aren't
center-aligned or right-aligned. Left aligning numbers in tables looks
really bad and should be avoided in UI design. When you visit a board, the
numbers are aligned center and it looks a lot better.

compare:
http://def3.i2p/ (left alignment for numbers)
http://def3.i2p/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=19 (center alignment for numbers)

I think the color for the quoted text is really hard on the eyes (blue),
might want to try something that isn't so harsh on the eyes, something
like #3598dc.

I've attached a patch :).

- crowbar

Attachments: forum.css.patch (text/x-diff)
From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 20:17 UTC
thanks for the feedback, i will check it out. cool that there are so many css experts among the readers, i don't know too much about it....

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 22:35 UTC
trw wrote:

thanks for the feedback, i will check it out. cool that there are so many
css experts among the readers, i don't know too much about it....

It's looking very nice def3.i2p. The layout looks good and colour selections and fonts also. Very easy on the eyes.

From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-472-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 21:46 UTC
  To: trw
thanks for the feedback, i will check it out. cool that there are so many css
experts among the readers, i don't know too much about it....
Lucky you. I had the misfortune to work professionally as a web dev. It's not something I'm going to do professionally ever again, unless I'm about to become homeless or on the verge of starvation.

- crowbar

From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 19:53 UTC
I had the misfortune to work professionally as a web dev
yeah, it shows. thanks for solving the overlapping issue, i finally went for 10px instead of 12px, looks much nicer. also aligning the numbers.

the color of quoted text I need to change directly in the nntp import module, it is a long standing request, even from before i switched to this theme. i thought it might be acceptable with the new color scheme but this blue is just too nasty, does'nt matter the background color.

cheers

trw Posted on def3

From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 20:16 UTC
ok, fixed the color as well. the function is in scripts_common.inc, the new function is this:

/** Apply different colors to different levels of quoted text. */
function color_quotes($body, $forum_opt)
{
$body = str_replace("\r\n", PHP_EOL, $body); // Get rid of carriage returns on non-Windows systems.

if ($forum_opt & 16) { // BBCode tag style.
$body = preg_replace('/^>\h*>\h*>\h*>(.*)$/m', '>>>> \1',  $body);
$body = preg_replace('/^>\h*>\h*>(.*)$/m',     '>>> \1', $body);
$body = preg_replace('/^>\h*>(.*)$/m',         '>> \1',       $body);
$body = preg_replace('/^>(.*)$/m',             '> \1',        $body);
} else if (!($forum_opt & 8)) { // Tag style is not NONE (thus, HTML).
$body = preg_replace('/^>\h*>\h*>\h*>(.*)$/m', '<font color="mintcream"> >>>> \1</font>', $body);
$body = preg_replace('/^>\h*>\h*>(.*)$/m',     '<font color="lightsteelblue"> >>> \1</font>',   $body);
$body = preg_replace('/^>\h*>(.*)$/m',         '<font color="lightblue"> >> \1</font>',            $body);
$body = preg_replace('/^>(.*)$/m',             '<font color="cornflowerblue"> > \1</font>',                $body);
}

return $body;
}

Posted on def3

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 23:30 UTC
Just noticed something re def3 colours.

In tbb, I can't see the scrollbar on the right. It is there, but the contrast
between colours is so little that I have a lot of trouble finding it. In i2p it
appears as the standard browser scrollbar.