rocksolid / rocksolid.shared.linux / Re: simple newsspool creator

SubjectAuthor
* simple newsspool creatorRetro Guy
`* Re: simple newsspool creatortrw
 +* Re: simple newsspool creatorRetro Guy

Subject: simple newsspool creator
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 09:28 UTC
I've written a small script that will connect to a remote news server as a reader, and create a local spool from the articles. This spool matches an inn spool exactly, and will clone the remote server's spool for whatever groups you want, and however may days you configure. It is meant to be run as a cron job.

It's not done, so not releasing it yet (no error checking or tracking last article number yet).

This will allow rocksolid overboard to work on a site with no news server, and I think this may also allow bbs to run on a server without a news server. It may have uses besides these also.

Subject: Re: simple newsspool creator
From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 17:20 UTC
This will allow rocksolid overboard to work on a site with no news server,
that's great. it will lower the effort to install a new node.

and I think this may also allow bbs to run on a server without a news server.
unfortunately not (or at least not if you want to do posts on the node). posting works only locally.

It may have uses besides these also.
is it a shellscript ? if nothing else, i would love to look at the code ans learn.

Posted on: def3.i2p

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 08:42 UTC
trw wrote:

and I think this may also allow bbs to run on a server without a news
server.
unfortunately not (or at least not if you want to do posts on the node).
posting works only locally.

Does bbs use rpost? If so, I have a bash script I wrote that posts to a remote server using rpost. Seems to work fine:

rpost $newsserver -U $username -P $password <<%end
$(<message.including.headers.txt)
%end

If your outgoing message is just header and body lines of plain text, that should work. You can also send headers one by one, or whatever you want before %end.

It may have uses besides these also.
is it a shellscript ? if nothing else, i would love to look at the code ans
learn.

My spool script is written in php.

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 11:25 UTC
Currently running this script via cron to see how well it works (or doesn't :)

So far it's going well, I have a cloned rocksolid/* spool now and we'll see if it stays properly in sync.

From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 21:45 UTC
Does bbs use rpost? If so, I have a bash script I wrote that posts to a remote server using rpost. Seems to work fine:

No, I have tried that before. bbs uses rnews, and the vm does not have a rpost binary.
Posted on: def3.i2p

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-54k-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 00:38 UTC
  To: trw
trw wrote:

Does bbs use rpost? If so, I have a bash script I wrote that posts to a
remote server using rpost. Seems to work fine:

No, I have tried that before. bbs uses rnews, and the vm does not have a
rpost binary.

Ah, ok. I was thinking your were using rpost.

One thing about my script 'spoolnews.php', is that it can be modified to read articles from the server, then reformat them for injecting elsewhere. I'll try to keep the code as non-inn specific as possible.

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-54k-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 00:40 UTC
  To: Retro Guy
Also, I just realized (why didn't I before?) that I can make a perfectly good news spool from a Synchronet installation. I'm doing that now to see how well overboard may work if the news server is other than inn.

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-om4-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 01:58 UTC
  To: Retro Guy
Retro Guy wrote:

Also, I just realized (why didn't I before?) that I can make a perfectly good news spool from a Synchronet installation. I'm doing that now to see how well overboard may work if the news server is other than inn.

This seems to be working.

I've created and added a cron job to keep a news spool up to date on retrobbs, which has Synchronet as a news server, not inn.

The overboard for rocksolid.* and DOVE-Net.* is working, but it will take a few days to sort properly, as it uses the file timestamps to predict the article date (the date displayed is from the article).

Since the spool was created all at once, every article looks like it is new. I want to monitor over the next few days to see how it sorts out.

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-2yp-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 02:41 UTC
  To: Retro Guy
Retro Guy wrote:

The overboard for rocksolid.* and DOVE-Net.* is working, but it will take a few days to sort properly, as it uses the file timestamps to predict the article date (the date displayed is from the article).

Found a bug that saved the last article number retrieved plus one (so one article skipped each run). That's been fixed. I'll tackle bugs as they show up, which I expect plenty of at the start.

The overboard(s) on retrobbs now are running using the spoolnews script, so it doesn't matter where the news server is (Synchronet or inn, or ???).

From: retro.guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-kqi-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 08:36 UTC
  To: Retro Guy
Retro Guy wrote:

Found a bug that saved the last article number retrieved plus one (so one article skipped each run). That's been fixed. I'll tackle bugs as they show up, which I expect plenty of at the start.

Another bug found: Was creating zero length files for articles that don't exist on the server. Fixed.