Subject: Re: Welcome new BBS users
From: Mei...@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 08:48 UTC
From: Mei...@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 08:48:15 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
I was only joking! I didn't mean to ACTUALLY bring in a bunch of randoms! I am NOT cleaning up this mess :P
rslight.i2p

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 09:06 UTC
From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 09:06:24 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
Mei wrote:

I was only joking! I didn't mean to ACTUALLY bring in a bunch of randoms! I am NOT cleaning up this mess :P

We have had a few, uh, visitors lately lol!

Mei, we'd like to speak with you "downtown" please :)

In other news, some users on google groups were having a debate about why google allows posts to come into "their" group from my sites. They even demanded that I stop linking my site to their "forum". You can explain Usenet, but that doesn't mean people will understand.

I'd kinda like to see whatever response google may give them, it might be fun to read.

Over and out (for now)...

news.novabbs.com

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 21:17 UTC
From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2020 21:17:03+0000

In other news, some users on google groups were having a debate about why google allows posts to come into "their" group from my sites. They even demanded that I stop linking my site to their "forum". You can explain Usenet, but that doesn't mean people will understand.

omfg, i hope you are joking. "get off of my google cloud, you leech",lmao.
might actually be pretty easy to troll these ppl, huh ?

From: Mei...@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 22:55 UTC
From: Mei...@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 22:55:15 -0000 (UTC)
View all headers
Retro Guy wrote:
We have had a few, uh, visitors lately lol!
Aye.

Mei, we'd like to speak with you "downtown" please :)
What? Are you the newsgroup cops? Am I being detained?!

In other news, some users on google groups were having a debate about why google allows posts to come into "their" group from my sites. They even demanded that I stop linking my site to their "forum". You can explain Usenet, but that doesn't mean people will understand.
I didn't see that discussion but it wouldn't surprise me to find that some people think "Google" Groups is a Google thing rather than just Google's node on Usenet. Does Groups do anything to make this clear or does it just look like another single-site forum to its users?

Here's hoping we don't end up with one of those ridiculous feuds some groups have. Those people must be shockingly bored or impressively angry.
rslight.i2p

From: retro....@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-fll-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 23:25 UTC
From: retro....@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-fll-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 23:25:29 +0000
To: Mei
  To: Mei
Mei wrote:

Retro Guy wrote:

In other news, some users on google groups were having a debate about why google allows posts to come into "their" group from my sites. They even demanded that I stop linking my site to their "forum". You can explain Usenet, but that doesn't mean people will understand.
I didn't see that discussion but it wouldn't surprise me to find that some people think "Google" Groups is a Google thing rather than just Google's node on Usenet. Does Groups do anything to make this clear or does it just look like another single-site forum to its users?

Here's hoping we don't end up with one of those ridiculous feuds some groups have. Those people must be shockingly bored or impressively angry.

This kind of stuff lol:

---------------

Leave ME and my post off novabbs.

The only way to do that I know if is for you to stop posting on Usenet.

https://www.novabbs.com/index.php?t=msg&th=388483&start=0&

No. That’s not true pissbum.

Cujo could probably answer in more detail, but it appears that RetroGuy's site is run via the software program FUDforum 3.0.7 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FUDforum).  All he would have to do is subscribe to AAPC to get all the messages, which then are reposted on the Novabbs site.  Getting a Novabbs address just means that the software then sends "your" message to AAPC for you.  If "your" Novabbs messages are not appearing, then the Novabbs software is not sending your messages out.  Retroguy could ban people from posting through Novabbs and could probably filter out all the other messages that are not sent through Novabbs personal addresses.  Or, he could unsubscribe his group address from AAPC.  We could ask RetroGuy to not post any messages from:  ME, NancyGene, and any others who want to opt out.  We never opted in.     ------------

Other posts seem to show they think "subscribing" to aapc means scraping the posts from google.

Well, off to work now, have fun (I won't :)

www.rocksolidbbs.com

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 23:32 UTC
From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2020 23:32:42+0000

from the thread:

 All your posts show up there though..............

But they shouldn’t. Because I’ve never been to that site.

priceless...