From: retro....@retrobbs.synchro.net (Retro Guy)
To: All
Subject: DoveNet/Freenet
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 13:03:43 -0700
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 30 Aug 2017 20:03 UTC

The forums available from DoveNet and Freenet (FMS) appear to be syncing and
working fine. I will add the balance of the FMS forums that are available on
retrobbs soon.

These groups are both readonly, but I may be able to make DoveNet read/write.
Just checking the terms and it may be possible.

I will try to get some usenet newsgroups attached in the near future.

Also, I plan to move the rocksolid nntp server to a leased server to avoid the
problems I'm having here with the power company (it's hot here and transformers
tend to explode, dropping electricity now and then). It's been happening more
than usual, not sure why. Anyway, I want to make sure the server is as
available as possible.

I would like to share rocksolid via qwk networking to qwk compatible bbs
systems. I will make those modifications once we finalise (for now) the list of
groups.

So, rocksolid should be available to nodes, which would be interfaces that
connect to already existing nntp servers, and server nodes, which would run
their own nntp server and be available to other nodes.

Server nodes can then make the network available on one or more networks of
their choice. For example, a server node may only support tor clients (nodes),
or any one or more networks of their choice. If we can get multiple server
nodes, with multiple network coverage, we can work toward a long term, stable
and redundant network.

You can see the added DoveNet forums here (this is a test site):
http://ejff7jtyaus37slkwgeqrrcmyhpj26carp7n27f5h6s5vlbeiy6q.b32.i2p/

As the network is cleaned up, def.i2p would be a good place to bookmark for a
well designed, easy to use interface to rocksolid.

All comments, criticism or suggestions welcome.

Retro Guy

Re: DoveNet/Freenet

<oo712f$ksk$1@networks.retrobbs.synchro.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=457&group=rocksolid.shared.general#457

From: wed...@retrobbs.synchro.net (wed)
To: rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: Re: DoveNet/Freenet
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2017 01:44:33 +0000
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
 by: wed - Thu, 31 Aug 2017 01:44 UTC

>The forums available from DoveNet and Freenet (FMS) appear to be syncing and
>working fine. I will add the balance of the FMS forums that are available on
>retrobbs soon.

>These groups are both readonly, but I may be able to make DoveNet read/write.
>Just checking the terms and it may be possible.

First of, really cool you made that. I will try to finalize my setup on the weekend. For the terms of use, I guess it depends a lot on how you (we/all admins) handle moderation. I have never been on any bbs personally, so I don't know what the common manners are in these. If rocksolid should ever gain popularity in i2p or tor, we will have to deal with all kinds of trolls (and I have to say, I have a bit of a temper when it comes to that, so I will just ban those, but I might not always be able to see and act on shitpostings on short notice).

>I will try to get some usenet newsgroups attached in the near future.

Shall we wait with the announcement until that has happened and everything is in place ? I would say yes, to really make a good launch, but on the other hand, I just read this thread:
http://zzz.i2p/topics/2373-can-i-set-up-a-private-outproxy-for-bypassing-the-china-s-national-firewall-gfw
There is really a need for a general purpose forum in i2p-land. I just wonder why so little traffic went to the existing, like forums.i2p.

>Also, I plan to move the rocksolid nntp server to a leased server to avoid the
>problems I'm having here with the power company (it's hot here and transformers
>tend to explode, dropping electricity now and then). It's been happening more
>than usual, not sure why. Anyway, I want to make sure the server is as
>available as possible.

Good move. When I hear about exploding transformers, I'm glad that I'm in Kathmandu. ;-)

>So, rocksolid should be available to nodes, which would be interfaces that
>connect to already existing nntp servers, and server nodes, which would run
>their own nntp server and be available to other nodes.

Yes, the interface nodes would bring something in terms of reachability for the users, so that one goal is fulfilled - the forum should be 100% on. However, the interface nodes are isolated from the rest of the network if "their" nntp server goes down or is not reachable. also it will prolong the time needed for full propagation of messages. So this setup is ok for newbies or people who just don't want to spent too much time to setup and maintain. But the general goal in my opinion is to maximize the number of server nodes, as only they can really keep up the structure.

>Server nodes can then make the network available on one or more networks of
>their choice. For example, a server node may only support tor clients (nodes),
>or any one or more networks of their choice. If we can get multiple server
>nodes, with multiple network coverage, we can work toward a long term, stable
>and redundant network.

That is a really nice longterm vision. I am curious in which networks nodes will show up, the sky is the limit here.
All that is assuming of course that we can not only build and maintain the infrastructure (seems doable), but also attract both active users and cooperating admins. In my experience, around 10...20 active users give a place like this the feeling that it is live. Below that it feels kind of empty and visitors are more likely to leave after first viewing. Everything above 100 users will lead to more subforums to handle the traffic better (which is fine of course).

>You can see the added DoveNet forums here (this is a test site):
>http://ejff7jtyaus37slkwgeqrrcmyhpj26carp7n27f5h6s5vlbeiy6q.b32.i2p/

Yes, I can see, looking good (no freenet, though). Will you keep that one running on top of retrobbs ?

I was planning to try out overchan (only the frontend) as well, I kind of like the chan design. But this would actually be just another interface for the same node.

>As the network is cleaned up, def.i2p would be a good place to bookmark for a
>well designed, easy to use interface to rocksolid.

Not sure what you mean with "cleaning up" ?

For something completely different: are you concerned about opsec on your end ? I mean, you have a lot of interfaces open (like nntp, ftp, http, telnet, ssh, and so on), do you know the track record of synchronet ? I guess it is not a major target (anymore), due to low spread of usage, so maybe no known issues. But I would bet if somebody gave it a proper fuzzing, some things would come to light. Just a thought, I am always a bit paranoid with boxes that are reachable from the outside world.

Take care,

wed
Posted by:wed <wed@retrobbs.synchro.net>