From: gue...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Subject: Are the forums at the bottom READ-ONLY (Newsfeeds)
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2019 16:55:24 -0500
 by: Guest - Sat, 7 Dec 2019 21:55 UTC

I was trying to post on the NewsFeeds and I got error. Read Only?
Posted on def3

Re: Are the forums at the bottom READ-ONLY (Newsfeeds)

<4a832d839adc7156844b0363f2d63fff@def4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=46&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#46

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2019 00:10:13+0000
 by: anon - Sun, 8 Dec 2019 00:10 UTC

what was the error message ?
there is nothing set up to prevent from posting to these groups.
note that while it should be possible (and has been done on def3 and also def4), this does not mean that your post will be synced back to the original source (this is a one way communication). so the only ones being able to read your comment or reply will be the visitors of def3 and def4.

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Re: Are the forums at the bottom READ-ONLY (Newsfeeds)

<acf22978bc01fe17cce733b1541fdf77$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=47&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#47

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2019 09:57:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 8 Dec 2019 09:57 UTC

anon wrote:

> what was the error message ?
> there is nothing set up to prevent from posting to these groups.
> note that while it should be possible (and has been done on def3 and also def4), this does not mean that your post will be synced back to the original source (this is a one way communication). so the only ones being able to read your comment or reply will be the visitors of def3 and def4.

Are these the usenet newsgroups or the ones labeled "Rocksolid Feeds"

As long as posting is allowed on def3, and I think it is, posting in the newsgroups should propagate throughout usenet. If it's the Rocksolid Feeds, the posts should show up on def3 in the groups.

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Are the forums at the bottom READ-ONLY (Newsfeeds)

<507a128738c4a948f60b73c8f9da0781@def4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=48&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#48

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2019 11:25:52+0000
 by: anon - Sun, 8 Dec 2019 11:25 UTC

>Are these the usenet newsgroups or the ones labeled "Rocksolid Feeds"

with those i checked and posting is possible on def3.
the problem was with posting to newsgroups, which produced an error message like:
"FATAL ERROR..."
that was wrong ownership of the message files of ff, fixed by now (posted a test message here: http://x5qrtsbiebrxj65t.onion/index.php?t=msg&th=70989&start=0)

>As long as posting is allowed on def3, and I think it is,
Yes, that is the intention. It looks like this person was the first to post to a public newsgroup on def3, though, so the config error never showed.

>posting in the newsgroups should propagate throughout usenet.
if you don't filter it on your end, then yes. question if you want the guest account to be able to post to these groups (so far no trouble, i would say).

>If it's the Rocksolid Feeds, the posts should show up on def3 >in the groups.
and on def4 as well. do you still carry these groups on your end ?

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Re: Are the forums at the bottom READ-ONLY (Newsfeeds)

<4422615c463f8dd77e477b35cef097f3$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=49&group=rocksolid.nodes.help#49

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.help
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2019 09:35:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 9 Dec 2019 09:35 UTC

anon wrote:

>>Are these the usenet newsgroups or the ones labeled "Rocksolid Feeds"

> with those i checked and posting is possible on def3.
> the problem was with posting to newsgroups, which produced an error message like:
> "FATAL ERROR..."
> that was wrong ownership of the message files of ff, fixed by now (posted a test message here: http://x5qrtsbiebrxj65t.onion/index.php?t=msg&th=70989&start=0)

I don't see that message outside def3. I checked 7uu54r... and don't see it there either. Could you add alt.test and we can troubleshoot?

>>As long as posting is allowed on def3, and I think it is,
> Yes, that is the intention. It looks like this person was the first to post to a public newsgroup on def3, though, so the config error never showed.

>>posting in the newsgroups should propagate throughout usenet.
> if you don't filter it on your end, then yes. question if you want the guest account to be able to post to these groups (so far no trouble, i would say).

so far guest has been fine, but if someone abuses the privilege then the only way to block is to block the guest account which kind of spoils it for everyone else. usernames are close to anonymous but easier to manage when trying to keep from being a source of spam into usenet.

My filtering mostly ends up with false negatives. At this point, I haven't seen a false positive in a while, which is my goal. I'd rather some spam get through than messages get blocked that should not. I have yet to see anything blocked by the filter coming from your end.

>>If it's the Rocksolid Feeds, the posts should show up on def3 >in the groups.
> and on def4 as well. do you still carry these groups on your end ?

I had removed the feeds temporarily from rslight, but never put them back. I've added a link back to the site now.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light