From: use...@novabbs.org (rslight rss feeds)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.feeds.tech
Subject: Planet Debian
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:56:45 +0000
 by: rslight rss feeds - Wed, 12 Jul 2023 13:56 UTC

Reproducible Builds: Reproducible Builds in June 2023
https://reproducible-builds.org/reports/2023-06/
July 12, 2023, 1:17 PM
Welcome to the June 2023 report from the Reproducible Builds project
In our reports, we outline the most important things that we have been up to over the past month. As always, if you are interested in contributing to the project, please visit our Contribute page on our website.
We are very happy to announce the upcoming Reproducible Builds Summit which set to take place from October 31st — November 2nd 2023, in the vibrant city of Hamburg, Germany.
Our summits are a unique gathering...
--------------------
Matt Brown: 2023 Mid Year Review
https://www.mattb.nz/w/2023/07/13/2023-mid-year-review/
July 12, 2023, 12:44 PM
I’m six months into my journey of building a business which means its time to reflect and review the goals I set for the year.
No further investment in co2mon.nz
In March I made the decision to focus on completing the market research for co2mon.nz. The results of that research led to two key conclusions:
Indoor air quality/ventilation is not a problem many people are actively thinking about or looking to spend money to improve.
Even when introduced to the problem and educated about the need, ...
--------------------
Jonathan Carter: Debian 12
https://jonathancarter.org/2023/07/12/debian-12/
July 12, 2023, 11:04 AM
Last month, the Debian project released Debian 12, with the usual low-key fanfare that Debian usually announces a release with. Even though we shipped with some bugs we’d rather not have (which are at least fixable over the next point releases), the feedback for Debian 12 has been nothing short of overwhelmingly good. From users to the independent Linux blogs to the YouTubers to the tech news sites, the vast majority of feedback so far is that it’s not just one of Debian’s most important r...
--------------------
John Goerzen: Backing Up and Archiving to Removable Media: dar vs. git-annex
https://changelog.complete.org/archives/10535-backing-up-and-archiving-to-removable-media-dar-vs-git-annex
July 12, 2023, 1:53 AM
This is the fourth in a series about archiving to removable media (optical discs such as BD-Rs and DVD+Rs or portable hard drives). Here are the first three parts:
In part 1, I laid out my goals for the project, and considered a number of tools before determining dar and git-annex were my leading options.
In part 2, I took a deep dive into git-annex and simulated using it for this project.
In part 3, I did the same with dar.
And in this part, I want to put it together to come up with an initia...
--------------------
Simon Josefsson: Coping with non-free Debian
https://blog.josefsson.org/2023/07/11/coping-with-non-free-debian/
July 11, 2023, 1:27 PM
A personal reflection on how I moved from my Debian home to find two new homes with Trisquel and Guix for my own ethical computing, and while doing so settled my dilemma about further Debian contributions.
Debian‘s contributions to the free software community has been tremendous. Debian was one of the early distributions in the 1990’s that combined the GNU tools (compiler, linker, shell, editor, and a set of Unix tools) with the Linux kernel and published a free software operating system...
--------------------
Matthew Garrett: Roots of Trust are difficult
https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/66907.html
July 11, 2023, 7:58 AM
The phrase "Root of Trust" turns up at various points in discussions about verified boot and measured boot, and to a first approximation nobody is able to give you a coherent explanation of what it means[1]. The Trusted Computing Group has a fairly wordy definition, but (a) it's a lot of words and (b) I don't like it, so instead I'm going to start by defining a root of trust as "A thing that has to be trustworthy for anything else on your computer to be trustworthy".(An aside: when I say "trustw...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppSpdlog 0.0.14 on CRAN: Upstream Update
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/07/10#rcppspdlog_0.0.14
July 11, 2023, 1:11 AM
Version 0.0.14 of RcppSpdlog is now
on CRAN and has just been
uploaded to Debian. RcppSpdlog
bundles spdlog, a
wonderful header-only C++ logging library with all the bells and
whistles you would want that was written by Gabi Melman, and also includes fmt by Victor Zverovich. You can learn
more at the nice package
documention site.
This release simply brings an update to the just release spdlog 1.12.0 from a few
days ago.
The NEWS entry for this release follows.
Changes in
RcppSpdlog version 0.0...
--------------------
Shirish Agarwal: PLIO, Mum, Debconf, Pressure Cooker, RISC-V,
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2023/07/10/plio-mum-debconf-pressure-cooker-risc-v/
July 10, 2023, 3:54 PM
PLIO
I have been looking for an image viewer that can view images via modification date by default. The newer, the better. Alas, most of the image viewers do not do that. Even feh somehow fails. What I need is default listing of images as thumbnails by modification date. I put it up on Unix Stackexchange couple of years ago. Somebody shared ristretto but that just gives listing and doesn’t give the way I want it. To be more illustrative, maybe this may serve as a guide to what I mean.
--------------------
Lukas Märdian: Netplan and systemd-networkd on Debian Bookworm
https://blog.slyon.de/2023/07/10/netplan-and-systemd-networkd-on-debian-bookworm/
July 10, 2023, 9:44 AM
Debian’s cloud-images are using systemd-networkd as their default network stack in Bookworm. A slim and feature rich networking daemon that comes included with Systemd itself. Debian’s cloud-images are deploying Netplan on top of this as an easy-to-use, declarative control layer.
If you want to experiment with systemd-networkd and Netplan on Debian, this can be done easily in QEMU using the official images. To start, you need to download the relevant .qcow2 Debian cloud-image from: https:...
--------------------
Michael Ablassmeier: Java timezone sheanigans
https://abbbi.github.io//timezone/
July 10, 2023, 12:00 AM
While running CI tests for a application that is implemented in C and Java,
some configuration scripts set the current timezone. The C implemented parts
catch the change just nicely, but the java related parts still report the
default image timezone.
A simple example:
import java.util.*;
import java.text.*;
class simpleTest
{ public static void main(String args[])
{
Calendar cal = Calendar.getInstance();
System.out.println("TIME ZONE :"+ cal.getTimeZone()....
This was some portion of the side effect of recent Gandi.net announcements.
FAQ - New Mailbox service and management of your current mailboxes - Gandi News
fabre.debian.net rely on the old Mailbox service of Gandi.n...
--------------------
Russell Coker: Matrix
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2023/07/09/matrix/
July 9, 2023, 7:53 AM
Introduction
In 2020 I first setup a Matrix [1] server. Matrix is a full featured instant messaging protocol which requires a less stringent definition of “instant”, messages being delayed for minutes aren’t that uncommon in my experience. Matrix is a federated service where the servers all store copies of the room data, so when you connect your client to it’s home server it gets all the messages that were published while you were offline, it is widely regarded as being IRC but without a...
--------------------
Vasudev Kamath: Using LUKS-Encrypted USB Stick with TPM2 Integration
https://copyninja.in/blog/luks2_tpm_mount.html
July 9, 2023, 7:47 AM
I use a LUKS-encrypted USB stick to store my GPG and SSH keys, which acts as a
backup and portable key setup when working on different laptops. One
inconvenience with LUKS-encrypted USB sticks is that you need to enter the
password every time you want to mount the device, either through a Window
Manager like KDE or using the cryptsetup luksOpen command. Fortunately, many
laptops nowadays come equipped with TPM2 modules, which can be utilized to
automatically decrypt the device and subsequently m...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: #40: Another r2u Example – Making Colab Easier
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/07/08#040_r2u_used_at_colab
July 8, 2023, 11:26 PM
Welcome to the 40th post in the $R^4 series. This
one will just be a very brief illustration of r2u use in what might be
an unexpected place: Google
Colab. Colab has a strong bent towards Jupyter and Python but has
been supporting R compute kernels for some time (by changing what they
call the ‘runtime’). And with a little exploration one can identify
these are (currently, as of July 2023) running Ubuntu 20.04 aka
‘focal’.
Which is of course one of two system supported by our lovely r2u ...
--------------------
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer: Open question: Podman and user/group IDs
https://perezmeyer.com.ar/blog/2023/07/08/podman_and_user_group_ids/
July 8, 2023, 8:45 PM
Here is an open question for Podman users: is there a (ideally simple) way to keep the user/group ID between the real system and the container?
Let me be more verbose.
I use Docker mostly in two "special" cases:
As Yocto build environment: I can use whatever the people I work with/Yocto version wants.
For creating developer environments: I create Docker containers that have the same environments as the CI docker instances I use with GitLab + development tools I run sharing the X socket. In that...
--------------------
Russell Coker: Sandboxing Phone Apps
https://etbe.coker.com.au/2023/07/08/sandboxing-phone-apps/
July 8, 2023, 10:11 AM
As a follow up to Wayland [1]:
A difficult problem with Linux desktop systems (which includes phones and tablets) is restricting application access so that applications can’t mess with each other’s data or configuration but also allowing them to share data as needed. This has been mostly solved for Android but that involved giving up all “legacy” Linux apps. I think that we need to get phones capable of running a full desktop environment and having Android level security on phone apps an...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: digest 0.6.33 on CRAN: Bugfix
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/07/07#digest_0.6.33
July 7, 2023, 11:43 PM
Release 0.6.33 of the digest package
arrived at CRAN today and has
been uploaded to Debian
already.
digest
creates hash digests of arbitrary R objects (using the md5,
sha-1, sha-256, sha-512,
crc32, xxhash32, xxhash64,
murmur32, spookyhash, blake3, and
crc32c algorithms) permitting easy comparison of R language
objects. It is a mature and widely-used (with 58.6 million downloads
just on the partial cloud mirrors of CRAN which keep logs) as many tasks
may involve caching of objects for which it p...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: Rcpp 1.0.11 on CRAN: Updates and Maintenance
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/07/06#rcpp_1.0.11
July 7, 2023, 1:04 AM
The Rcpp Core Team is delighted to announce that the newest release
1.0.11 of the Rcpp package arrived on
CRAN and in Debian earlier today. Windows and
macOS builds should appear at CRAN in the next few days, as will builds
in different Linux distribution–and of course at r2u. The release was
finalized three days ago, but given the widespread use and extended
reverse dependencies at CRAN it
usually takes a few days to be processed. This release continues with
the six-months January-July cycle ...
--------------------
Thorsten Alteholz: My Debian Activities in June 2023
http://blog.alteholz.eu/2023/07/my-debian-activities-in-june-2023/
July 6, 2023, 3:09 PM
FTP master
This month I accepted 221 and rejected 33 packages. The overall number of packages that got accepted was 221.
Yeah, Bookworm was released this month. Thanks a lot to everybody who was involved in doing this.
Debian LTS
This was my hundred-eighth month that I did some work for the Debian LTS initiative, started by Raphael Hertzog at Freexian.
This month my all in all workload has been 14h.
During that time I uploaded:
[DLA 3440-1] cups security update for one CVE (as the CVE was emb...
--------------------
Reproducible Builds: Reproducible Builds Summit 2023 in Hamburg
https://reproducible-builds.org/news/2023/07/05/reproducible-builds-hamburg-meeting/
July 5, 2023, 12:00 AM
We are glad to announce the upcoming Reproducible Builds Summit, set to take place from October 31st to November 2nd, 2023, in the vibrant city of Hamburg, Germany.
This year, we are thrilled to host the seventh edition of this exciting event following the success of previous summits in various iconic locations around the world, including Venice (2022), Marrakesh (2019), Paris (2018), Berlin (2017), Berlin (2016) Athens (2015).
If you’re excited about joining us this year, please make sure t...
--------------------
Dirk Eddelbuettel: RcppAnnoy 0.0.21 on CRAN: Upstream Update
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2023/07/02#rcppannoy_0.0.21
July 2, 2023, 11:41 PM
Another minor maintenance release, now at version 0.0.20, of RcppAnnoy
has arrived on CRAN.
RcppAnnoy
is the Rcpp-based R integration of
the nifty Annoy library
by Erik Bernhardsson. Annoy is a small and
lightweight C++ template header library for very fast approximate
nearest neighbours—originally developed to drive the Spotify music discovery
algorithm.
This release mainly updates the included copy of Annoy to version 1.7.3 which
now provides a C++ namespace in the header API. So I sent a pa...
--------------------
Steinar H. Gunderson: The bestest sine function, redux
http://blog.sesse.net/blog/tech/2023-07-01-16-32_the_bestest_sine_function_redux.html
July 1, 2023, 3:32 PM
A small followup to the last post:
Sreepathi Pai pointed out that Z3 isn't the fastest solver when it comes to
floats; CVC5 is faster
but cannot optimize. However, OptiMathSAT,
while non-free, detronizes Z3 on this problem; the minimization time goes
down from eight hours to five minutes! (Pai also pointed to
sat-smt.codes, if you want to read 650+ pages
about SAT/SMT techniques.)
I discovered that the desired range is not [0,16384) but [0,16384];
that is, you need to include 16384. This makes...
--------------------
Steinar H. Gunderson: The smallest Pride contribution
http://blog.sesse.net/blog/tech/2023-07-01-15-47_the_smallest_pride_contribution.html
July 1, 2023, 2:47 PM
Happy Pride! In lieu of doing something actually useful for the case,
here is a patch
to make screen show the Pride flag emoji correctly.
I hadn't counted on screen literally being from 1987, though. In K&amp;R C!
This patch is for all the LBGT+ users needing Unicode 15.0 support in
the screens running on their SVR4 PDP-11s....
--------------------
Bastian Venthur: dotenv-cli update
https://venthur.de/2023-07-01-dotenv-cli-update.html
July 1, 2023, 1:00 PM
Thanks to Nicholas Guriev,
dotenv-cli now uses exec instead of popen to create the new process on
POSIX systems.
As a refresher, dotenv-cli is a package that
provides the dotenv command. dotenv reads the .env file from the current
directory, puts the contents in the environment variables, and executes the
given command with the extra environment variables set.
dotenv comes in handy if you follow the 12 factor app
methodology or just need to run a program locally with specific environment
variabl...
--------------------
Debian Brasil: MiniDebConf Brasília 2023 - um breve relato
https://debianbrasil.org.br/blog/minidebconf-brasilia-2023-um-breve-relato/
July 1, 2023, 11:00 AM
No período de 25 a 27 de maio, Brasília foi palco da
MiniDebConf 2023. Esse encontro, composto
por diversas atividades como palestras, oficinas, sprints,
BSP (Bug Squashing Party), assinatura de chaves,
eventos sociais e hacking, teve como principal objetivo reunir a comunidade e
celebrar o maior projeto de Software Livre do mundo: o
Debian.
A MiniDebConf Brasília 2023 foi um sucesso graças à participação de todas e
todos, independentemente do nível de conhecimento sobre o Debian. Valor...
--------------------
Debian Brasil: MiniDebConf Brasília 2023 - a brief report
https://debianbrasil.org.br/blog/minidebconf-brasilia-2023-a-brief-report/
July 1, 2023, 11:00 AM
From May 25th to 27th, Brasília hosted the
MiniDebConf 2023. This gathering, composed
of various activities such as talks, workshops, sprints, BSP (Bug Squashing
Party), key signing, social events, and hacking, aimed to bring the community
together and celebrate the world's largest Free Software project: Debian.
The MiniDebConf Brasília 2023 was a success thanks to the participation of
everyone, regardless of their level of knowledge about Debian. We valued the
presence of both beginners who ...
--------------------
Junichi Uekawa: New month.
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/diary/daily/2023-Jul-1.html.en#2023-Jul-1-11:50:53
July 1, 2023, 2:50 AM
New month. It's been 15 years since I joined the current company. That's a long time.
--------------------
Paul Wise: FLOSS Activities June 2023
http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2023/07/01/floss-activities/
July 1, 2023, 12:33 AM
Focus
This month I didn't have any particular focus.
I just worked on issues in my info bubble.
Changes
thermal_daemon:
fix thermal_monitor build,
make power group configurable,