Subject: alright, i have it going
From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 08:50 UTC
From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 01:50:53 -0700
echo "Sending: ".$outgoing_dir.$message."\n\r";
and, more importantly:
fputs($ns, "MODE READERrn");
fputs($ns, "MODE READER\r\n");
and like that in all the places sending this sequence.

in the process i discovered that subjects with "\" will break something in bbs :-).

anyway, it is working, and vichan posts directly to news servers now.
so now, it can run without any local news server, meaning you should be able to sync any existing installation to newsgroups.
very cool.
i need to clean up my code, it is still horrible right now, and i guess it can be done in half of the lines.
after that, maybe we should publish that somewhere it can be found (thinking some fork on github or so...). i know i said earlier a fork would be too heavy for me, but maybe we can offer it to some existing fork ? what do you think ?
i just have the feeling it would be unfair to build on something existing and than not sharing your results.

anyway, it is working. very nice. :-)

Subject: Re: alright, i have it going
From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 09:18 UTC
From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 09:18 UTC
View all headers
Anonymous wrote:

thanks for the code. i had to change a few places, like:
echo "Sending: ".$outgoing_dir.$message."rn";
echo "Sending: ".$outgoing_dir.$message."nr";
and, more importantly:
fputs($ns, "MODE READERrn");
fputs($ns, "MODE READERrn");
and like that in all the places sending this sequence.

Yes, rslight removes the backslash when displaying the code. What I sent had the backslashes but they were stripped for display.

in the process i discovered that subjects with "" will break something in bbs :-).

There's always something new in everybody's code :)

anyway, it is working, and vichan posts directly to news servers now. so now, it can run without any local news server, meaning you should be able to sync any existing installation to newsgroups.
very cool.

One of the links I sent in r.s.encryption is an rslight nntp server. If you want to test syncing vichan directly to rslight and back, it might be a great test to prove no inn servers are required. I already sync one rslight site to another successfully. (My freebsd test site to rslight.i2p)

i need to clean up my code, it is still horrible right now, and i guess it can be done in half of the lines.

Uh, yeah, me too :)

after that, maybe we should publish that somewhere it can be found (thinking some fork on github or so...). i know i said earlier a fork would be too heavy for me, but maybe we can offer it to some existing fork ? what do you think ?
i just have the feeling it would be unfair to build on something existing and than not sharing your results.

I agree that when it's working well, provide a download at least. That's all I do for rslight. I have no github, cvs or anything, but it can be downloaded. I'd do the same for vichan. If someone wants to fork what you wrote, that's great, but it's nice to keep your own fork for your own mods, etc.

anyway, it is working. very nice. :-)

I'm amazed at how fast you got this working! Great work!

www.novabbs.com

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 09:26 UTC
From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.programming
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2020 09:26 UTC
View all headers
Retro Guy wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

in the process i discovered that subjects with "" will break something in bbs :-).

There's always something new in everybody's code :)

I noticed earlier today that rslight's overboard did not display koi-8 correctly. The article would display properly, but not in the overboard. That's fixed now :)

www.novabbs.com