From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Subject: Media server for home lan
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2019 20:41:07+0000
 by: anon - Wed, 25 Dec 2019 20:41 UTC

Hello,

I have a question for the Linux users that know about media streaming, which is which software to use for the following usecase:
-home lan only, no access control needed
-plus 50k files (mp3 and ogg)
Must have:
-streaming music for multiple users
-devices used by clients: laptop/tablet/mobiles
-playlist creation
-searching collection by tag
-headless install (means: webbased admin and user ui)
-old hardware
-debian 9.0
-no bloatware
-independent of central server (must work without inet connection) and privacy respecting (no central registration or upload of playlists to central server or something similar)
-not UPnP based
Nice to have:
-download of subcollections (download of playlists)
-all the other nice features of modern media servers (what is playing, upload, comments,...)
-movie streaming
-OSS
-runs on raspberry
-can work with NAS or similar

So far I have tested and rejected Plex (intended for use with centralized server, also bloatware) and Kodi (not intended for headless use). Emby seems not to support Debian on my hardware.
Madsonic is a very decent software I have found, it is in Java, but still light enough for my case and with many features. Only downside is you have to pay for it after a trial period, which I am seriously considering at this point (although it is released under the GPL, seems strange somehow). Actually, I don't mind paying, it is all the effort to do it that scares me off. :-)
Leaves Subsonic, which I have not tried yet.

Any opinions or experience to share ?

Posted on def4

Re: Media server for home lan

<be4194467a42e44154eb73700c3d7ba1$1@www.i2pn2.org>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: AnonU...@i2pn2.org (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Subject: Re: Media server for home lan
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 02:43:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: AnonUser - Thu, 26 Dec 2019 02:43 UTC

I'd be glad to see some suggestions to this.

I currently use Plex, and it's working fine for me. One Linux server (plex) is serving multiple apple tvs over wireless without issue. But I see that plex doesn't fit your described needs.

Running a media server on raspberry pi seems maybe a bit difficult, but I don't have one so what do I know :)

--
Posted on news.i2pn2.org