From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: rslight.i2p (news.novabbs.com) 17 Mar 2020
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 02:20:03 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 18 Mar 2020 02:20 UTC

Rocksolid Light will be disabled for a time today, 17 Mar 2020, as I apply the recent changes from my test server.

I need to disable as the spool will be completely moved and I don't want it changing while working on it.

If all goes well, I'll post what the main changes are. If not, I'll restore backup and keep it to myself :)

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
192.168.0.220

Re: rslight.i2p (news.novabbs.com) 17 Mar 2020

<b69e62b1230e7c18892d68d6e0f59772$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=58&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#58

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Subject: Re: rslight.i2p (news.novabbs.com) 17 Mar 2020
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 03:10:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 18 Mar 2020 03:10 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

> Rocksolid Light will be disabled for a time today, 17 Mar 2020, as I apply the recent changes from my test server.

> I need to disable as the spool will be completely moved and I don't want it changing while working on it.

> If all goes well, I'll post what the main changes are. If not, I'll restore backup and keep it to myself :)

Ok, let's post from it using rslight (already have using a newsreader)

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight.i2p (news.novabbs.com) 17 Mar 2020

<f437336ed5a947e48dfda8dd37fa98e1$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=59&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#59

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 03:25:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Wed, 18 Mar 2020 03:25 UTC

Seems ok. Here's what's changed:

All "sections" (rocksolid, arts, interests etc.) are now using the same nntp server instance. While testing, they each used an instance and a port. Now one instance of the nntp server handles the entire site.

All spools have been moved to /var/spool/rslight, and have been combined. They were previously in the /var/www/html/... area, as that's how newsportal was designed and I didn't change that until now. This required changing the names of files as they are created else each section's files would overwrite the others.

Duplication of any spool data is gone.

Nothing in /var/www/html is written by the server, and nothing needs to be edited (unless you move other stuff to non-standard locations).

The menu at the top with the sections is simply created by a text file in /etc/rslight. Just add, remove, reorder the names, and that's how they appear. The naming is based on (and must match) the directory names you choose to use.

Adding groups in any section is automatically applied to the nntp server settings.

All maintenance, spooling, sending messages etc. is handled by one file for the entire site. Just run 'cron.php' in crontab and it will determine what "sections" you may have, even if just one, and perform updates, etc. on all of them.

There is more, but not terribly interesting stuff. As always, I expect bugs to show up and will hopefully be able to address them effectively.

Retro Guy
--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight.i2p (news.novabbs.com) 17 Mar 2020

<bbcbb11cc4361a26abbc0ad253887ca7$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=60&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#60

From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 11:05:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Retro Guy - Sun, 22 Mar 2020 11:05 UTC

Overview info is now completely handled by the nntp server, not passed from the upstream server. This allows connections to upstream servers that don't handle xover, or serve in a different format.

Group descriptions are served, and pulled from any upstream server that serves them. This should propagate descriptions fine (and is doing so).

Any filtering (spamassassin or whatever) is handled by the nntp server so that posting directly to the server still filters posts (spam). If you don't enable the nntp server in rslight, then filtering will be handled by rslight. This doesn't need to be configured, it will just happen. You just configure whether to use filtering or not.

Article numbering is maintained for the nntp server, so no dependence on the upstream server's article numbers. This allows changing to a different upstream server and not messing up article numbers. Since all incoming articles are checked against a database of already received articles (by Message-ID), there should not be duplicates.

Path info will be added in the header, X-Rslight-Path:. This allows for avoiding loops and reducing wasted bandwith passing messages that don't need to be passed.

The methods I'm using to send messages would work great to link to FMS (Freenet). I need to think about if I want to add that feature back (we had that a couple of years ago). The nntp server can send/receive from FMS without the issue of duplicates we had originally. It would work just like using FMS itself (as far as seeing your messages. This is something I still need to think about, whether I want to do this.

So far it's working well.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
news.novabbs.com

Re: rslight.i2p (news.novabbs.com) 17 Mar 2020

<r5ck87$jr3$1@i2pn2.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=61&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#61

From: retro...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 02:32:03 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Tue, 24 Mar 2020 09:32 UTC

I've connected some of the groups in a fudforum install to rslight as it's
upstream server. All seems to be working well. Tested receiving and posting,
no problems so far.

It (rslight) should be able to handle other rslight installs, and fudforum
installs as clients. That's the plan anyway. So far so good.

Also nice that it provides nntp access to readers (which is how I've been
connecting lately).

Retro Guy

Re: rslight.i2p (news.novabbs.com) 17 Mar 2020

<9080c712dd47947eb826a25946fe4493@def4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=62&group=rocksolid.nodes.announce#62

From: ano...@anon.com (anon)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 17:22:39+0000
 by: anon - Tue, 24 Mar 2020 17:22 UTC

sounds very very good. i hope i will be able to dedicate some time to upgrade my servers to all the new stuff. would also like to run this rslight version.

cheers

trw

Posted on def4