From: rslightu...@rslight.i2p (rslightuser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Subject: docker
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 10:31:28 +0000
 by: rslightuser - Mon, 21 Sep 2020 10:31 UTC

Anyone have experience with using docker for gui applications?

Good idea, bad idea, pointless idea?
--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
rslight.i2p

Re: docker

<rkah7p$htq$1@shakotay.alphanet.ch>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: schae...@alphanet.ch (Marc SCHAEFER)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Subject: Re: docker
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 17:35:21 +0200 (CEST)
 by: Marc SCHAEFER - Mon, 21 Sep 2020 15:35 UTC

rslightuser <rslightuser@rslight.i2p> wrote:
> Anyone have experience with using docker for gui applications?

I have installed x2go in a docker container, it works. I also in the
past installed kdenlive in a lxc container.

So yes, it works, with a simple ssh -X or with a full-featured remote
desktop application such as x2go.

Why are you asking? :)

Re: docker

<6befeae04481bce72d94473d3bc1df0f$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: rslightu...@rslight.i2p (rslightuser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 08:12:55 +0000
 by: rslightuser - Tue, 22 Sep 2020 08:12 UTC

Marc SCHAEFER wrote:

> rslightuser <rslightuser@rslight.i2p> wrote:
>> Anyone have experience with using docker for gui applications?

> I have installed x2go in a docker container, it works. I also in the
> past installed kdenlive in a lxc container.

> So yes, it works, with a simple ssh -X or with a full-featured remote
> desktop application such as x2go.

That sounds interesting. I will probably give it a try soon.

> Why are you asking? :)

I see some of the benefits of docker for server applications, etc., and
was curious about the performance of a gui application. I'm guessing it
really depends on how you are displaying (ssh -X, vnc, fb).

Mostly it's just out of curiosity, as I have no real need to do it, but
I enjoy experimentation and learning.

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
rslight.i2p

Re: docker

<rkd6q9$lpn$1@shakotay.alphanet.ch>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: schae...@alphanet.ch (Marc SCHAEFER)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 17:55:53 +0200 (CEST)
 by: Marc SCHAEFER - Tue, 22 Sep 2020 15:55 UTC

rslightuser <rslightuser@rslight.i2p> wrote:
> I see some of the benefits of docker for server applications, etc., and
> was curious about the performance of a gui application. I'm guessing it
> really depends on how you are displaying (ssh -X, vnc, fb).

Actually, it depends on the CPU of the docker host and on the network
connectivity.

Editing full-video HD with kdenlive was possible in the past with a 4G
connection with x2go.

Re: docker

<4a85d496f3eda5709bc6fd7402568554$1@rslight.i2p>

 copy mid   Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
From: rslightu...@rslight.i2p (rslightuser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.linux
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2020 00:53:50 +0000
 by: rslightuser - Wed, 23 Sep 2020 00:53 UTC

Marc SCHAEFER wrote:

> rslightuser <rslightuser@rslight.i2p> wrote:
>> I see some of the benefits of docker for server applications, etc., and
>> was curious about the performance of a gui application. I'm guessing it
>> really depends on how you are displaying (ssh -X, vnc, fb).

> Actually, it depends on the CPU of the docker host and on the network
> connectivity.

I'll be displaying on the same machine as the docker container, the host is
reasonably fast, not great but fine. I've done this with vms and displaying
in the vm is fine, but ssh -X is a bit slow. Wondering how docker compares so
thank you for the comments!

> Editing full-video HD with kdenlive was possible in the past with a 4G
> connection with x2go.

That's nice to hear. I actually want to try cinelerra with docker, so hearing
video editing works is good news :)

--
Posted on: Rocksolid Light
rslight.i2p