Subject: المؤسسة العامة للتدريب المهني تعقـد الدورة التدريبية : مهارا
From: anonuser@example.com (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.test
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 09:24 UTC
  New Testing

  Me

From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.test
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 22:27 UTC
oh great, now i have to build a check for empty subjects on def3.
Posted on def2

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.test
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 22:38 UTC
anonymous wrote:

oh great, now i have to build a check for empty subjects on def3.
Posted on def2

nntp.php already does that:
282         if (!strlen($msg_post->subject)) {
283             fud_logerror('Blank subject.', 'nntp_errors', $emsg->raw_msg);
284             $msg_post->subject = '(no subject)';
285         }

I haven't tried this, but what if you change your mod to:

$msg_post->subject = quoted_printable_decode(mb_decode_mimeheader($emsg->subject));

Subject: Re: Re
From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.test
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 23:42 UTC
That might be a quick and easy solution. will try tomorrow.
Posted on def3

From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.test
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 20:50 UTC
$msg_post->subject =
quoted_printable_decode(mb_decode_mimeheader($emsg->subject));

applying this did avoid the collation error, a funny side effect was that messages answering to a message with a changed subject were not synced back any more. the code of ff can be a bit complex at times....

Posted on def2

From: retroguy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.test
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 09:11 UTC
On 10/19/19 1:50 PM, anonymous wrote:
$msg_post->subject =
quoted_printable_decode(mb_decode_mimeheader($emsg->subject));

applying this did avoid the collation error, a funny side effect was
that messages answering to a message with a changed subject were not
synced back any more. the code of ff can be a bit complex at times....

It's strange. My post about ff being difficult was me finding exactly
this same issue also, lol

I really wish ff could handle newsgroup messages by message-ID. That
would fix a lot of issues. When I have more time, I'm going to dig
around the db and see what is saved where. I'm not much of a db person,
but I do understand a bit (probably not enough)