Subject: Re: Fudforum to rslight
From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 10:18 UTC
From: Retro ...@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 10:18 UTC
View all headers
anonymous wrote:

Fudforum has been with us for some time now, and I liked it, so I hate to see it go.
Having said that, I understand your reasoning: ff is pretty much a dead end, development has halted, and all changes are difficult to implement (compared to doing them in rslight, or vichan). However, also vichan, while exciting, is kind of a dead end. There is some development done in lainchan still, but the code is still based on php 5 so eventually something will break and nobosy will be able to fix it. The reason I work on vichan atm is just that it is really a low hanging fruit for us, and the benefits of the software are huge in terms of comfort.

So far, vichan seems to be coming along nicely! It looks good and seems to function well. Right now I'm at the point of trying to decide whether to delete the 12GB fudforum database still sitting on my server. I don't run any ff sites, and my clearnet users seem to have seamlesly moved to using rslight (because they have no choice, I guess). Since I don't think I'll be back to ff, I should delete the database, but going to wait a little longer. I don't have enough space on the hd to back it up locally.

I've also read that ff and rslight are easier to use on a mobile device than google groups, which surprises me (I don't use google groups). I just assumed google had a good mobile interface, but I guess not. ff on mobile sucks. rslight on mobile is useable, and much better than ff, but not great by any means.

www.novabbs.com