rocksolid / rocksolid.shared.offtopic / Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

SubjectAuthor
* A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkerstrw
+* Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkerstrw
|`* Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkersGuest
| `- Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkerstrw
+* Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkersAnonUser

Subject: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers
From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 22:24 UTC

I think about refurbishing def3 and/or def4. Before I do this, I would like to know:

-what user interface do you prefer (what node you use mostly) ?
-why ?
-what are the features you would like to see ?
-what is the stuff that is not working, or not working well ?

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 10:20 UTC

bump this to get users attention.

guess a lot of traffic is just coming from bots.

Posted on def4

From: guest@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Guest)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 01:09 UTC
I would like a section for joining i2p families.  You post and up to 10 downloads of certificates/keys for 24 hours.
Posted on: def3.i2p

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2019 20:48 UTC

I would like a section for joining i2p families. You post and up to 10 downloads of certificates/keys for 24 hours.

Thanks for your feedback. You are talking about router families, I assume ? I just don't get what you want the section to do or to provide.

Posted on def4

From: anonuser@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-f22-this (AnonUser)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 14:57 UTC
  To: trw
-what user interface do you prefer (what node you use mostly) ?
-why ?
Don't tell the def people but retrobbs is most convenient for me :P Actually I see def2 is like that but better. Weird color choice.

I like the hierarchical organization and dark theme of def3 though it's hard to line up the left parts with the info on the right (topic, post date) and sometimes the colors make things unreadable (message navigator items, >quotes)

I like the listing of recent posts on def4 though it took me a while to understand at all what's going on there. Okay, it's kind of horrible but I like having an easy view of what's new.

-what are the features you would like to see ?
 Easy viewing of what's new (maybe just a page listing posts in order but not only today's? I don't know what would work best for that)
 Easy viewing
 Easy reading the presented information
I guess I want are def3's message navigator and a nice dark theme on def2's framed, clear, table-style layout. Oh, and search. Actually, a framed and tabled version of def3 with some color tweaks would be great.

-what is the stuff that is not working, or not working well ?
def4 is confusing at first and does something weird mashing posts into little boxes
def3 has some small but confusing layout issues and the color scheme sometimes hurts

Sorry if this isn't very interesting or useful. I'm new here but felt bad that there weren't many responses so I thought I'd have a try at it :)

From: trw@i2pmail.org (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 15:50 UTC
Thanks for your answer. Btw, I am "the def people", meaning the admin of def2,def3 and def4.

I plan to move away from the software currently running on def3 (and maybe def4), and your post is encouraging me in
this....

The software I target has most of the features you were mentioning, I believe, most of all easy navigation and an
overboard.

Posted on: def3.i2p

From: <Mei@none.i2p>
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 11:34 UTC
I really started liking that def4 post feed, though I think that will stop being an issue if I ever get around to setting up a newsreader.

What's the story with different forums being offered by each node?

Also I'm sorry I betrayed you and def by signing up with novaBBS for a silly videogames forum. I hope I can earn your forgiveness in time :p

(Also the "the def people" was a joke about not telling yourself what I was telling you ;) I am a silly and make silly jokes.)

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 13:22 UTC

I really started liking that def4 post feed, though I think
that will stop being an issue if I ever get around to setting
up a newsreader.

Yes, if you use a newsreader, you have access to all the groups hosted it (which is a lot more than is shown on any single node).

What's the story with different forums being offered by each
node?

Well, the only groups that are shown by all nodes host are those of the rocksolid/shared hierarchy. All the other groups are specific to each node, based on personal flavor and administration effort.
It would be tempting to set up a node that shows all available groups, but currently only on rslight this is possible with reasonable effort (although Retro Guy has made a huge effort on novabbs, but even this is still far from complete).

Also I'm sorry I betrayed you and def by signing up with
novaBBS for a silly videogames forum. I hope I can earn your
forgiveness in time :p

Not at all. These are federated forums, and it does not really matter from where you access them. Its sort of the idea behind this project.

Btw, changing software on my node(s) will not mean that I drop any groups.

cheers

trw Posted on def4

From: trw@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 13:26 UTC

Yes, if you use a newsreader, you have access to all the groups hosted it (which is a lot more than is shown on any single node).

I meant of course hosted by the news server. Posted on def4

From: <Mei@none.i2p>
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 13:25 UTC
Edit: (set up a newsreader) or get used to user features like forum subscription and "new since you were last here" indicators.

I'm still looking around to see what's good, what's interesting, how things work, and what things work :) Maybe I'll like the new elephants. Maybe I'll have to use multiple nodes.