From: retro....@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com.remove-qac-this (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Subject: Re: Dropbox service on i2p
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 11:03:28 -0700
To: All
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 12 Jul 2019 18:03 UTC

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 08:12:56 -0400
"trw" <trw@i2pmail.org> wrote:

> check out a similar service, with a lot more features (in fact, it is
> based on the code of dropbox, but not compatible anymore):
>
> http://boxs.i2p
> http://owm3fy2t5vwbxowk5gsshihkwjfknqq7y4ylbeyhvzta7r3ybrpq.b32.i2p/
> http://boxs.i2p/?i2paddresshelper=btgtA~3zYWhhynEfFjLQTJvI7ICO40ze-z97BwBkC-igTPLIzbotH7rPc-BTxh8AHFQBpagEswqIF678kSue0-pgQq8BIjsmbfaWwuI3DFEHgoO7OoJW8ruO5xSsFdTSSF-KiksJNMPUEU8SZ0Ue0nwxm7NsBzbgzXPOZYMad3S6fC4b1oxFpb3MZ6oMBMsmm8t7hJ3duRgNtL2CvlDdkSLDnj3aMO2~uhc1cy7q9ko8JKR3dHxCtgM-qQF~TllO2b9ad9bLzb1mELipTqVcg3rPUmZ3lHQ1Ri9Ka3xUvb6mbS556pKKCemFsfK2dSRb701K~SsKf1f9NB56EjiL7AmqrarCEytIXbgfUtSvLzhnCr-Cc1LT68yVFl3BQjqX6VGSx1IVelnkkfUzQSb0-gpR6Vj-LxMvmuITAXH8LJiwNddwl7md6-z-DZjLDEyV3Xnw7OX8RbR7QCSkfCZe0A726NdnWeuwEGISwPs6a2sRkMgES5B90czNkAnkGzL0BQAEAAcAAA%3d%3d
>
> http://ana5icnp3au4qy5i.onion/
>
> it is still in development, but already usable.

This is looking very nice!

Just did a small upload, works fine. I'll be playing with it some more
later to check out all the features. Great work!

Retro Guy

Re: Dropbox service on i2p

<3f4b46e2c016d4c1cd978c8f716cd3d0$1@z5bqfv5v75kxy7pj.onion>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=79&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#79

From: anonym...@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 18:25:19 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="24040"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def2.org"
 by: anonymous - Fri, 12 Jul 2019 18:25 UTC

why thank you, i aim to please :-)

the feature i am most proud of is the private box, as it required really
deep digging into the cli options for gpg. in the end, it was simple as
usual, but the way to find out was...well, a hard one...

i think it will be the last web service i do in bash. something mightier
is called for...

cheers

trw
Posted on def2

Re: Dropbox service on i2p

<e08358bcfec6a20f943373b3c82b4785$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=80&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#80

From: Retro ...@rslight.anon (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 20:59:16 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="1328"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 12 Jul 2019 20:59 UTC

anonymous wrote:

> i think it will be the last web service i do in bash. something mightier
> is called for...

Do you have a language in mind? Just curious. I'm impressed what you've
accomplished with bash but can certainly understand that other methods
might be the direction to go.

I use php because I'm familiar with it, but there are some other methods
out there that work well. Synchronet uses ssjs, which is interesting.

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light

Re: Dropbox service on i2p

<0b67196c15e4feb0c065d2c9dc00b376@def4>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=81&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#81

From: trw...@anon.com (trw)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 21:46:57+0000
 by: trw - Fri, 12 Jul 2019 21:46 UTC

php to hack around in rislight/ff/$forum_software
python for my own projects

btw, how do you adjust the reload time on rslight ? i have lost already two text drafts because the frame reloaded while i was typing ....

cheers

trw

Posted on def4

Re: Dropbox service on i2p

<20190712150048.0e8a9ad2@desktop14.dt>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=82&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#82

From: retro_...@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 15:00:48 -0700
 by: Retro Guy - Fri, 12 Jul 2019 22:00 UTC

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 21:46:57+0000
trw <trw@anon.com> wrote:

> php to hack around in rislight/ff/$forum_software
> python for my own projects
>
> btw, how do you adjust the reload time on rslight ? i have lost
> already two text drafts because the frame reloaded while i was
> typing ....

Oh, that's not good. The reload is 600 seconds. I really only wanted to
apply this to the group list, but I was lazy and just let it apply to
all pages.

Maybe I should just remove that entirely. In 'head.inc', remove this
line:

I'll remove it from 0.6.3

Retro Guy

Re: Dropbox service on i2p

<84f8c83bc36d6dc6e0de27ea4b003586$1@def2.i2p>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=83&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#83

From: anonym...@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 10:08:12 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="2883"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def2.org"
 by: anonymous - Sat, 13 Jul 2019 10:08 UTC

did that now....testing....

to pass the time: i still have the hope that i/we could develop a
universal interface one day that lets you plug any php/sql based forum
software into inn2.

it would be about hijacking two functions:

1) when the forum software receives a message and writes it to the db, a
function must be triggered that posts the same message to a newsgroup. the
function is existing already (for example as part of rslight), so it would
be only to call it and hand it over the right parameters (either directly,
or just pointers to the db)

2) when a message is received in a newsgroup, a function must post the
same message to a forum. Here it would be about handing the right
parameters to the forum function and let it do its work.

i bet the code that you have written for rslight could be easily adapted
to serve any forum software based on php/sql. that would be really neat,
as it would lower the bar to participate in federation by a lot, since the
admin would not have to migrate to a new software, just install a plugin.

writing 9 min now...doing crtl+a crtl+c all the time ... :-)
but seems to be working....

cheers

trw
Posted on def2

Re: Dropbox service on i2p

<2b1c61b2e03f701e780bcdebbf0e3e2d$1@news.novabbs.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/computers/article-flat.php?id=85&group=rocksolid.shared.i2p#85

From: Retro ...@rslight.anon (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.i2p
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 05:18:54 -0000 (UTC)
logging-data="8211"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@novabbs.com"
 by: Retro Guy - Mon, 15 Jul 2019 05:18 UTC

anonymous wrote:

> to pass the time: i still have the hope that i/we could develop a
> universal interface one day that lets you plug any php/sql based forum
> software into inn2.

> it would be about hijacking two functions:

> 1) when the forum software receives a message and writes it to the db, a
> function must be triggered that posts the same message to a newsgroup. the
> function is existing already (for example as part of rslight), so it would
> be only to call it and hand it over the right parameters (either directly,
> or just pointers to the db)

> 2) when a message is received in a newsgroup, a function must post the
> same message to a forum. Here it would be about handing the right
> parameters to the forum function and let it do its work.

> i bet the code that you have written for rslight could be easily adapted
> to serve any forum software based on php/sql. that would be really neat,
> as it would lower the bar to participate in federation by a lot, since the
> admin would not have to migrate to a new software, just install a plugin.

I've also put some thought into this, but haven't pursued anything yet as
I've just been focusing on rslight to get rid of some of the major bugs
(which has been done to a good extent)

I agree with your thoughts and observations, and have still the thought
that it's good to find the "best" way to do it from the start:

Do we write an interface script? Something along the lines of pullnews and
do all the work without any plugins, just run the script? This requires
specific code for every variation of database layouts of web interface
software.

Do we write a plugin that does as you state above, post to the db and to
nntp server at the same time? This is what fudforum does. Then to work the
other direction, we need a plugin to pull articles from the nntp server
(fudforum uses nntp.php)

Looking at nntp.php (ff), it works reasonably well, but is of course
written specifically for ff, and depends on other files included, and
config files. It would take some time to modify it to work with other
software, but still might be a good basis to start from.

Posting to the nntp server is easy, probably easier than pulling articles
from a db, modifying them (for nntp format) and then posting them.

At this point, I lean toward a plugin for posting, and a script for
pulling. This is how ff does it, and it seems to be a reasonable way to do
it. rslight already contains the code to produce nntp messages, which we
can of course modify as needed.

I would like to take some time to dissect nntp.php and see how simple I
can bring it down (removing dependencies on ff, etc.). Then try to get it
working just writing a plain text file. Once that works, we try to write
directly to a db. What do you think?

For a plugin, it should be a simple matter of adding nntp config, then
taking the variables containing post info and structuring into a var for
nntp format, then just send it with rpost or similiar.

These are my current thoughts, I'd like to try to agree on what method we
feel is best, then we can each get some testing started.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts

Retro Guy

--
Posted on Rocksolid Light