Subject: nocem in rslight
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 05:29 UTC
I've had nocem working for rslight for a short time, but it's been a bit of a manual process. I now have it fully automated, reading from groups in the same way inn works with it. The nice part is that since it requires gnupg to verify messages, that has allowed me to integrate gnupg into rslight, which can be used for other things. Thinking mainly about site to site communication via signed or encrypted data via the built in nntp server.

I'm adding configuration now for nocem as to who's posts you want to recognize (which nocem messages to act on). I mostly only act on my own posts, which are mostly spam posted on my own sites. nocem will only act on posts from senders you authorise, and which pass signature verification.

This is working on freebsd and debian.

news.novabbs.com

Subject: Re: nocem in rslight
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 09:44 UTC
nocem client is working fine. Just like spamassassin support, it's disabled by default in a new install. Over the next few weeks, I'll be cleaning up code a bit, fixing indentation, reducing some variable use and of course watching for bugs.

Unless some major bug shows up, 0.6.5a is the latest for now. It will probably be a couple of months before a new version is released. I cleaned up the config files reasonably well in the last release, so the plan is that the next release is just run an upgrade script and you're done. I separated the config, spool and scripts as best as I could in 0.6.5a, so upgrades should be fairly simple and safe. I just upgraded retrobbs.i2p by extracting an upgrade tgz right over what was installed and no problems. I'll include some sort of changelog in the next release hopefully. I'm pretty lazy so who knows :)

news.novabbs.com

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 10:42 UTC
Working only on bug fixes right now. Nothing major found so far, but cleaning up code, fixing things that probably won't be obvious bugs to anyone, and optimizing what I can.

I'm currently cleaning and reinstalling on one Debian system and one Freebsd system for testing. I'm increasing logging, which helps debugging obviously. After each group of changes (fixes, hopefully), I reinstall to test. So far so good.

news.novabbs.com

From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 01:34 UTC
Recent fixes:

Detect and handle attempted attacks in overboard.php. While rslight does not use sql, most attacks seem to attempt sql injection, which was leading to unnecessary spool files being created. That is fixed now.

Fixed References: line when messages are posted. If the line is too long, it is wrapped so references are not lost.

Removed function calls from spoolnews.php that are not necessary when polling 'nocem' groups. The 'spoolnews' section is used internally by rslight, and there is no need to update lists and threads as they will never be displayed to a user for this section. This allows this section to depend only on two files, not an entire rslight install.

Removing .lock files when a script exits. Previously, the lock files remained (in system temp dir) and worked fine as the pid in the file is what was read, but now going ahead and deleting the file on script completion.

Renamed nocem temp files (in rslight spool ./nocem) to include group name received from. This doesn't change any functionality, but makes it easier to see if any particular group is not working. Currently still saving these files in /processed or /failed, but will be expiring them after a time in a future mod so as to not waste disk space.

Made a minor change in nntp.php for some newsreaders that won't list groups that are readable but not writable without authenticating. Currently it seems nntp.php works fine with Thunderbird, Knode and tin. I'll be checking slrn soon, but haven't yet. Of course, the main point is that it works with rslight :)

Other "fixes" have included renaming of some variables to make more sense, and making sure that if a feature is disabled (spamassassin, nocem, synchronet etc) in config, they really are disabled in the code.

All testing is being done on freebsd and debian stretch at this time.

news.novabbs.com