rocksolid / rocksolid.shared.offtopic / Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers

SubjectAuthor
* A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkerstrw
+* Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkerstrw
|`* Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkersGuest
| `- Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkerstrw
+* Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkersAnonUser

Subject: Re: A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers
From: Retro Guy@rslight.i2p (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 09:01 UTC
<Mei@none.i2p> wrote:

Edit: (set up a newsreader) or get used to user features like forum
subscription and "new since you were last here" indicators.

I'm still looking around to see what's good, what's interesting, how things
work, and what things work :) Maybe I'll like the new elephants. Maybe I'll have to use multiple nodes. As trw (def) already mentioned, feel free to use any node you like. They're different in their presentation and in content, but all the sites carry the Rocksolid.* hierarchy.

If you want to use a newsreader, please do. If you have any trouble just let us know and we'll try to help.

I (we) have access to all Usenet text groups, so if there is a group you'd like to see on any of the sites that isn't already there, just ask. I can add to novaBBS, rslight and retrobbs, and I'm sure if you ask trw it will certainly be considered. All groups are available to the def side of things.

Nice to see you here, have fun, and if you have questions or comments we're here most of the time.

From: Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 02:19 UTC
Retro Guy wrote:
As trw (def) already mentioned, feel free to use any node you like. They're different in their presentation and in content, but all the sites carry the Rocksolid.* hierarchy.
Thanks. Between my own connection problems and whatever is happening to seemingly all of the Rocksolid nodes it looks like I'll just have to use whichever I can get to at the moment :P

If you want to use a newsreader, please do. If you have any trouble just let us know and we'll try to help.
I don't actually know which one(s) I can use over I2P. I was hoping for something graphical that I wouldn't have to learn the thing to use it but that seems to be not a thing. Maybe I'll look at some TUI ones anyway or just make my own. Could be fun.
Scratch that, I don't know what I was thinking. It's not like I need a special I2P newsreader or something (facepalm)
Except one that works, unlike pan. Project idea still on the table! Or the stove, I guess.

I (we) have access to all Usenet text groups, so if there is a group you'd like to see on any of the sites that isn't already there, just ask. I can add to novaBBS, rslight and retrobbs, and I'm sure if you ask trw it will certainly be considered. All groups are available to the def side of things.
Now that's risky! All these groups to choose from... ;P I suppose nova (Nova? Aahh why did you lowercase its name :P) would be where I would hope to get to additional groups. As for which ones I'd be interested in...
Oh, it turns out I can look at them via Google Groups. Usenet is a desiccated old corpse of a thing, isn't it? If only you could resurrect some groups; they're all so dusty and dead but for spam.
Also there are more than few of them. It may take a while to look through them. Is there a list of groups that have had activity within the last few months?
So far I see:
*comp.lang.haskell (Okay, it's pretty dead but I want to ask "Can Haskell... revive a Usenet group?" :P Of course if it can I would tr==be interested in participating) *comp.programming.contests looks like it's been dead for ages but may be brought back discussing some of the many challenge/contest sites around now (SPOJ, Codewars, Project Euler, etc.) if that's appropriate there. Probably not but I can dream :P
*comp.lang.functional
*rec.humor
*alt.humor.puns
*rec.humor.oracle
*Some of the other comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* groups seem relatively not-dead, namely .adventure, .strategic, and somewhat .rpg

What the hell happened to alt.languages.*?! Some kinda weird religious bomb went off in there. Anyway, I've only got a small infinity of groups left to look through but I'd like to post this some time this month and still have time to look at something other than Usenet groups @.@
Are they all accessible via direct access (newsreader)? All aleph-whatever Usenet groups empty but for spam and the dozen or so with people in them? :P

Nice to see you here, have fun, and if you have questions or comments we're here most of the time.
Thanks! :3 We'll see about this "fun" thing.
I'll also see about not dragging out one post over the course of days. Sorry for the messy post.

From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 07:09 UTC
I will check the groups you have named, probably on the weekend, and might display them on def4 (dead groups will not be displayed, though). Not sure if googlegroups display the rocksolid.* hierarchy, but you can get them on some "normal" newsservers as well (check neodome, for example).

As for newsreaders: what's wrong with Thunderbird ? Used that one to test the servers all the time, works well...

See you around

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 08:41 UTC
On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 02:19:11 -0000 (UTC)
Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei) wrote:

Retro Guy wrote:
As trw (def) already mentioned, feel free to use any node you like.
They're different in their presentation and in content, but all the
sites carry the Rocksolid.* hierarchy.
Thanks. Between my own connection problems and whatever is happening
to seemingly all of the Rocksolid nodes it looks like I'll just have
to use whichever I can get to at the moment :P

If you want to use a newsreader, please do. If you have any trouble
just let us know and we'll try to help.
I don't actually know which one(s) I can use over I2P. I was hoping
for something graphical that I wouldn't have to learn the thing to
use it but that seems to be not a thing. Maybe I'll look at some TUI
ones anyway or just make my own. Could be fun.
Scratch that, I don't know what I was thinking. It's not like I need
a special I2P newsreader or something (facepalm)

As trw mentioned, Thunderbird works fine. Any newsreader should be able
to be used, even Pan :)

I (we) have access to all Usenet text groups, so if there is a
group you'd like to see on any of the sites that isn't already
there, just ask. I can add to novaBBS, rslight and retrobbs, and
I'm sure if you ask trw it will certainly be considered. All groups
are available to the def side of things.
Now that's risky! All these groups to choose from... ;P I suppose
nova (Nova? Aahh why did you lowercase its name :P) would be where I
would hope to get to additional groups. As for which ones I'd be
interested in... Oh, it turns out I can look at them via Google
Groups. Usenet is a desiccated old corpse of a thing, isn't it? If
only you could resurrect some groups; they're all so dusty and dead
but for spam. Also there are more than few of them. It may take a
while to look through them. Is there a list of groups that have had
activity within the last few months?

Most of the groups on novabbs.i2p (www.novabbs.com) are groups that I
have checked that are reasonable to use (active and spam isn't too
bad). I'm sure a few aren't so great, but I did check them before
adding them. Feel free to browse through on that site and ask if you
want any of those groups added to rslight or another rocksolid site.

So far I see:
*comp.lang.haskell (Okay, it's pretty dead but I want to ask "Can
Haskell... revive a Usenet group?" :P Of course if it can I would
tr==be interested in participating)
*comp.programming.contests looks like it's been dead for ages but may
be brought back discussing some of the many challenge/contest sites
around now (SPOJ, Codewars, Project Euler, etc.) if that's
appropriate there. Probably not but I can dream :P
*comp.lang.functional
*rec.humor
*alt.humor.puns
*rec.humor.oracle
*Some of the other comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* groups seem relatively
not-dead, namely .adventure, .strategic, and somewhat .rpg

I've just added the above on rslight.i2p (news.novabbs.com), and will
add to novabbs.i2p (www.novabbs.com) soon.

The two rec.* groups seem to be all spam. If I'm wrong and you'd still
like to see them on either site, just let me know. Of course they're
all available with a newsreader at any time.

Nice to see you here, have fun, and if you have questions or
comments we're here most of the time.
Thanks! :3 We'll see about this "fun" thing.
I'll also see about not dragging out one post over the course of
days. Sorry for the messy post.

The "fun" part is mandatory! :)

Retro Guy

From: Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 14:38 UTC
I've started a new thread to continue my offtopic babblings. It looks like I've already derailed this one a lot :- Sorry about that.

So! How do people feel about def nodes? I like the "Latest from Rocksolid" thing def4 has, the easy on the eyes theme of def3, and the super clear layout of def2. I'm sure it would be appreciated if even one of you million lurkers (popular place, according to the official def statistics in the thread subject!) wanted to pipe up ;P
As for the posters, don't just hang there on the walls! Join in :D

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 08:15 UTC
On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 14:38:19 -0000 (UTC)
Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei) wrote:

I've started a new thread to continue my offtopic babblings. It looks
like I've already derailed this one a lot :- Sorry about that.

So! How do people feel about def nodes? I like the "Latest from
Rocksolid" thing def4 has, the easy on the eyes theme of def3, and
the super clear layout of def2. I'm sure it would be appreciated if
even one of you million lurkers (popular place, according to the
official def statistics in the thread subject!) wanted to pipe up ;P
As for the posters, don't just hang there on the walls! Join in :D

I like the def statistics. I don't know from where they're derived, but
1 Mio is a nice number!

Retro Guy

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 22:40 UTC

Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei) wrote:

Retro Guy wrote:

If you want to use a newsreader, please do. If you have any
trouble just let us know and we'll try to help.
I don't actually know which one(s) I can use over I2P. I was hoping
for something graphical that I wouldn't have to learn the thing to
use it but that seems to be not a thing. Maybe I'll look at some TUI
ones anyway or just make my own. Could be fun.
Scratch that, I don't know what I was thinking. It's not like I need
a special I2P newsreader or something (facepalm)

As trw mentioned, Thunderbird works fine. Any newsreader should be
able to be used, even Pan :)

Another one I use regularly is Claws Mail. It's really not a bad
newsreader at all. If you look at the headers of a lot of my posts
(including this one), it's sent with claws mail.

Retro Guy

From: anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 23:16 UTC
I like the def statistics. I don't know from where they're derived, but
1 Mio is a nice number!

These are not meant literally, more like a figure of speech (to indicate like "a lot"). :-)
Posted on def2

From: Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 00:05 UTC

Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei) wrote:

Retro Guy wrote:

If you want to use a newsreader, please do. If you have any
trouble just let us know and we'll try to help.
I don't actually know which one(s) I can use over I2P. I was hoping
for something graphical that I wouldn't have to learn the thing to
use it but that seems to be not a thing. Maybe I'll look at some TUI
ones anyway or just make my own. Could be fun.
Scratch that, I don't know what I was thinking. It's not like I need
a special I2P newsreader or something (facepalm)

As trw mentioned, Thunderbird works fine. Any newsreader should be
able to be used, even Pan :)

Another one I use regularly is Claws Mail. It's really not a bad
newsreader at all. If you look at the headers of a lot of my posts
(including this one), it's sent with claws mail.

Retro Guy
Nice, thanks. I may still have a go at making my own for fun.
How hard could it be? :P

From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 01:25 UTC
On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 23:16:19 -0000 (UTC)
anonymous@def2.anon (anonymous) wrote:

I like the def statistics. I don't know from where they're derived,
but 1 Mio is a nice number!

These are not meant literally, more like a figure of speech (to
indicate like "a lot"). :-)
Posted on def2

I do realize that, I just like the number :)