rocksolid / rocksolid.shared.offtopic / Re: Mei's Meanderings About Rocksolid, Usenet, etc.

SubjectAuthor
* Mei's Meanderings About Rocksolid, Usenet, etc.Mei
`- Re: Mei's Meanderings About Rocksolid, Usenet, etc.Retro Guy

Subject: Mei's Meanderings About Rocksolid, Usenet, etc.
From: Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 14:37 UTC
(Continued from thread "A question to our handful of posters, and our 1 Mio lurkers")
Retro Guy wrote:
On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 02:19:11 -0000 (UTC)
Mei@rslight.i2p (Mei) wrote:

Retro Guy wrote:
As trw (def) already mentioned, feel free to use any node you like. They're different in their presentation and in content, but all the
sites carry the Rocksolid.* hierarchy.
Thanks. Between my own connection problems and whatever is happening
to seemingly all of the Rocksolid nodes it looks like I'll just have
to use whichever I can get to at the moment :P

If you want to use a newsreader, please do. If you have any trouble
just let us know and we'll try to help.
I don't actually know which one(s) I can use over I2P. I was hoping
for something graphical that I wouldn't have to learn the thing to
use it but that seems to be not a thing. Maybe I'll look at some TUI
ones anyway or just make my own. Could be fun.
Scratch that, I don't know what I was thinking. It's not like I need
a special I2P newsreader or something (facepalm)

As trw mentioned, Thunderbird works fine. Any newsreader should be able
to be used, even Pan :)
Pan just hangs and Thunderbird... I hate that thing. Its interface is the strangest thing, it feels like it's built to be obtuse. Oldschool Blender at least didn't feel like it was trying to hide everything it was doing or could do.

I (we) have access to all Usenet text groups, so if there is a
group you'd like to see on any of the sites that isn't already
there, just ask. I can add to novaBBS, rslight and retrobbs, and
I'm sure if you ask trw it will certainly be considered. All groups
are available to the def side of things.
Now that's risky! All these groups to choose from... ;P I suppose
nova (Nova? Aahh why did you lowercase its name :P) would be where I
would hope to get to additional groups. As for which ones I'd be
interested in... Oh, it turns out I can look at them via Google
Groups. Usenet is a desiccated old corpse of a thing, isn't it? If
only you could resurrect some groups; they're all so dusty and dead
but for spam. Also there are more than few of them. It may take a
while to look through them. Is there a list of groups that have had
activity within the last few months?

Most of the groups on novabbs.i2p (www.novabbs.com) are groups that I
have checked that are reasonable to use (active and spam isn't too
bad). I'm sure a few aren't so great, but I did check them before
adding them. Feel free to browse through on that site and ask if you
want any of those groups added to rslight or another rocksolid site.

So far I see:
*comp.lang.haskell (Okay, it's pretty dead but I want to ask "Can Haskell... revive a Usenet group?" :P Of course if it can I would
tr==be interested in participating) *comp.programming.contests looks like it's been dead for ages but may
be brought back discussing some of the many challenge/contest sites
around now (SPOJ, Codewars, Project Euler, etc.) if that's
appropriate there. Probably not but I can dream :P
*comp.lang.functional
*rec.humor
*alt.humor.puns
*rec.humor.oracle
*Some of the other comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.* groups seem relatively not-dead, namely .adventure, .strategic, and somewhat .rpg

I've just added the above on rslight.i2p (news.novabbs.com), and will
add to novabbs.i2p (www.novabbs.com) soon.
com? Never heard of it! :P

The two rec.* groups seem to be all spam. If I'm wrong and you'd still
like to see them on either site, just let me know. Of course they're
all available with a newsreader at any time.
I'll work on the newsreader situation, but I'm seeing... admittedly weak humor in rec.humor (titles seem iffy but a lot of it isn't spam) and no spam at all in rec.humor.oracle. I'm not committed to them; I just thought they would add a little bit of interesting life to what's web-visible.

Nice to see you here, have fun, and if you have questions or
comments we're here most of the time.
Thanks! :3 We'll see about this "fun" thing.
I'll also see about not dragging out one post over the course of
days. Sorry for the messy post.

The "fun" part is mandatory! :)
Retro Guy

The (Retro) Man can't hold me down! Fight the power!
Is that a Rocksolid rule? Maybe I can hide under the elephants if I get bored :P

Subject: Re: Mei's Meanderings About Rocksolid, Usenet, etc.
From: retro_guy@retrobbs.rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.offtopic
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 08:13 UTC

Retro Guy wrote:

The two rec.* groups seem to be all spam. If I'm wrong and you'd
still like to see them on either site, just let me know. Of course
they're all available with a newsreader at any time.
I'll work on the newsreader situation, but I'm seeing... admittedly
weak humor in rec.humor (titles seem iffy but a lot of it isn't spam)
and no spam at all in rec.humor.oracle. I'm not committed to them; I
just thought they would add a little bit of interesting life to
what's web-visible.

I added them to rslight yesterday and to novabbs just now. I've also
restructured the groups list on rslight into categories, not just based
on hierarchy.

The "fun" part is mandatory! :)
Retro Guy

The (Retro) Man can't hold me down! Fight the power!
Is that a Rocksolid rule? Maybe I can hide under the elephants if I
get bored :P

I'm too lazy to wield power :)