Subject: account creation
From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 19:36 UTC
From: pos...@anon.com (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 12:36:34 -0700
logging-data="3073"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@def5.org"
View all headers
I have added account creation authentication by email (receive code, then enter it).

Now that sounds really serious. Is a captcha not enough for this purpose (to disallow batch creation) ?

Subject: Re: account creation
From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 11:27 UTC
From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.nodes.announce
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 11:27:44 +0000
View all headers
Anonymous wrote:

I have added account creation authentication by email (receive code, then enter it).

Now that sounds really serious. Is a captcha not enough for this purpose (to disallow batch creation) ?

It's really for clearnet users who like to troll and just constantly creating new accounts. At least this way they need to spend a minute creating a new email address also. They would easily deal with a captcha as it's a "real" person.

This does not apply to i2p or tor users, they just don't have their email address (that you just make up during registration) marked in their config as verified. I can send password reset, etc to a verified email address, so a bit more friendly features for clearnet users.

Posting in rocksolid.* doesn't even require an account, so I'm guessing most users would never see it or care, and it's also a toggle in config so other admins can just turn it off (it's off by default).

I'll admit that part of writing in the feature was because I thought it would be fun to write and make it work, and it was :) A lot of what rslight has become is what I feel like creating. I have my fun, and I put a switch for each in config to use it or not use it.

Also, Welcome back def2 and def4!

www.novabbs.com