If you want to see card tricks, you have to expect to take cards. -- Harry Blackstone

sport / rec.autos.sport.f1 / Why did they restart?

SubjectAuthor
* Why did they restart?Matt Larkin
+- Re: Why did they restart?XYXPDQ
+- Re: Why did they restart?geoff
+- Re: Why did they restart?Mark Jackson
+- Re: Why did they restart?~misfit~
+* Re: Why did they restart?Dex
|`* Re: Why did they restart?Mark
| `* Re: Why did they restart?leonard hofstatder
|  `* Re: Why did they restart?~misfit~
|   `- Re: Why did they restart?Alan Baker
+- Re: Why did they restart?Slang
`* Re: Why did they restart?RzR-t3h LeGeNd
 `- Re: Why did they restart?Mr Gobrien

1
Why did they restart?

<2a3610e1-c78e-4cef-aa4d-667ca0542a22n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10619&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#10619

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 14:46:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Why did they restart?
From: matthew....@gmail.com (Matt Larkin)
 by: Matt Larkin - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 21:46 UTC

I only watched the highlights and didn't hang around to watch post
race commentary etc so I must have missed something.

But I thought when a certain percentage of race distance had completed
that a red flag brought about the end of the race with some sort of lap
countback for positions etc.

Has that changed?

Re: Why did they restart?

<d3920662-0e72-47d1-a7b1-d5529a9fc386n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10621&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#10621

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 14:49:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Why did they restart?
From: qwrtz...@gmail.com (XYXPDQ)
 by: XYXPDQ - Sun, 6 Jun 2021 21:49 UTC

It certainly produced an exciting two laps unlike finishing under safety car or just calling it.

Re: Why did they restart?

<z4idnePciMIL6iD9nZ2dnUU7-IGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10626&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#10626

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 13:34:11 +1200
 by: geoff - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 01:34 UTC

On 7/06/2021 9:46 am, Matt Larkin wrote:
> I only watched the highlights and didn't hang around to watch post
> race commentary etc so I must have missed something.
>
> But I thought when a certain percentage of race distance had completed
> that a red flag brought about the end of the race with some sort of lap
> countback for positions etc.
>
> Has that changed?

Why restart ? Why not ?

geoff

Re: Why did they restart?

<ii5e8dF8anU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10631&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#10631

From: mjack...@alumni.caltech.edu (Mark Jackson)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2021 22:23:07 -0400
 by: Mark Jackson - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 02:23 UTC

On 6/6/2021 5:46 PM, Matt Larkin wrote:
> But I thought when a certain percentage of race distance had
> completed that a red flag brought about the end of the race with some
> sort of lap countback for positions etc.

Section 42 of the F1 sporting regs makes it clear that the race will be
restarted if at all possible and with as little delay as possible. No
mention of a minimum number of laps remaining. Shortened race with
countback applies only if the race "cannot be resumed."

> Has that changed?

Not since 2006. Prior to that a race that had reached 75% distance was
not restarted.

--
Mark Jackson - https://mark-jackson.online/
If mockery could solve our problems, we’d have no problems at all.

Re: Why did they restart?

<s9k54n$7v5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10633&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#10633

From: shaun.at...@gmail.com (~misfit~)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 15:51:50 +1200
 by: ~misfit~ - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 03:51 UTC

On 7/06/2021 9:46 am, Matt Larkin wrote:
> I only watched the highlights and didn't hang around to watch post
> race commentary etc so I must have missed something.
>
> But I thought when a certain percentage of race distance had completed
> that a red flag brought about the end of the race with some sort of lap
> countback for positions etc.
>
> Has that changed?

IIRC that only applies if the race isn't to be restarted (due to weather conditions, low light
conditions or the 2 hour race time limit among other reasons).
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Re: Why did they restart?

<s9kepc$pjr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10640&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#10640

From: vai...@nospam.today (Dex)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2021 07:36:28 +0100
 by: Dex - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 06:36 UTC

On 06/06/2021 22:46, Matt Larkin wrote:
> I only watched the highlights and didn't hang around to watch post
> race commentary etc so I must have missed something.
>
> But I thought when a certain percentage of race distance had completed
> that a red flag brought about the end of the race with some sort of lap
> countback for positions etc.
>
> Has that changed?

Red Bull request to the racing director? They said there was no
indication of tyre failure beforehand, same with Stroll. So get everyone
in to do a tyre change.

Was much more entertaining than finishing under a safety car.

Re: Why did they restart?

<s9kkk4$k0a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10642&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#10642

From: mpco...@gmail.com (Mark)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 08:16:04 -0000 (UTC)
Sender: "Mark P. Conmy"<cscmpc@comp-pc1032.leeds.ac.uk>
 by: Mark - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 08:16 UTC

Dex <vaidam@nospam.today> wrote:
> On 06/06/2021 22:46, Matt Larkin wrote:
>> I only watched the highlights and didn't hang around to watch post
>> race commentary etc so I must have missed something.
>>
>> But I thought when a certain percentage of race distance had completed
>> that a red flag brought about the end of the race with some sort of lap
>> countback for positions etc.
>>
>> Has that changed?
>
> Red Bull request to the racing director? They said there was no
> indication of tyre failure beforehand, same with Stroll. So get everyone
> in to do a tyre change.
>
> Was much more entertaining than finishing under a safety car.

I think this is a key reason.

While there was no reason not to restart - light was fine, time was
fine, lots of teams willing and able to restart - it would have looked
dodgy that Red Bull initiated the call to red flag the race rather than
use a full safety car. Clearly they were worried about their second car
blowing out, though I'm sure they'd say they were worried about the
whole field. If they then benefited from that call too - because of
countback - it would have looked too self-serving.

As it was - particularly with Hamilton's mistake - it was an
entertaining end. Just a shame it wasn't a few laps more.

Re: Why did they restart?

<s9li19$dij$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10655&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#10655

From: cippali...@cippalippa.com (Slang)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 18:37:45 +0200
 by: Slang - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 16:37 UTC

Il 06/06/2021 23:46, Matt Larkin ha scritto:
> I only watched the highlights and didn't hang around to watch post
> race commentary etc so I must have missed something.
>
> But I thought when a certain percentage of race distance had completed
> that a red flag brought about the end of the race with some sort of lap
> countback for positions etc.
>
> Has that changed?

Because MASI knows it has to decide so that LH can win, always.
A conclusion under SC would have frozen the order of arrival with Perez
winning.
But this time it went really bad.
;-)

Re: Why did they restart?

<s9ma1e$diu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10683&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#10683

From: n.n...@comcast.net (leonard hofstatder)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 18:27:43 -0500
 by: leonard hofstatder - Mon, 7 Jun 2021 23:27 UTC

On 6/7/2021 3:16 AM, Mark wrote:
> Dex <vaidam@nospam.today> wrote:
>> On 06/06/2021 22:46, Matt Larkin wrote:
>>> I only watched the highlights and didn't hang around to watch post
>>> race commentary etc so I must have missed something.
>>>
>>> But I thought when a certain percentage of race distance had completed
>>> that a red flag brought about the end of the race with some sort of lap
>>> countback for positions etc.
>>>
>>> Has that changed?
>>
>> Red Bull request to the racing director? They said there was no
>> indication of tyre failure beforehand, same with Stroll. So get everyone
>> in to do a tyre change.
>>
>> Was much more entertaining than finishing under a safety car.
>
> I think this is a key reason.
>
> While there was no reason not to restart - light was fine, time was
> fine, lots of teams willing and able to restart - it would have looked
> dodgy that Red Bull initiated the call to red flag the race rather than
> use a full safety car. Clearly they were worried about their second car
> blowing out, though I'm sure they'd say they were worried about the
> whole field. If they then benefited from that call too - because of
> countback - it would have looked too self-serving.
>
> As it was - particularly with Hamilton's mistake - it was an
> entertaining end. Just a shame it wasn't a few laps more.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a36641502/blame-the-americans-for-pivotal-standing-restart-in-f1-azerbaijan-grand-prix/

Re: Why did they restart?

<s9me49$1u0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10685&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#10685

From: shaun.at...@gmail.com (~misfit~)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 12:37:29 +1200
 by: ~misfit~ - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 00:37 UTC

On 8/06/2021 11:27 am, leonard hofstatder wrote:
> On 6/7/2021 3:16 AM, Mark wrote:
>> Dex <vaidam@nospam.today> wrote:

>>> Red Bull request to the racing director? They said there was no
>>> indication of tyre failure beforehand, same with Stroll. So get everyone
>>> in to do a tyre change.
>>>
>>> Was much more entertaining than finishing under a safety car.
>>
>> I think this is a key reason.
>>
>> While there was no reason not to restart - light was fine, time was
>> fine, lots of teams willing and able to restart - it would have looked
>> dodgy that Red Bull initiated the call to red flag the race rather than
>> use a full safety car. Clearly they were worried about their second car
>> blowing out, though I'm sure they'd say they were worried about the
>> whole field. If they then benefited from that call too - because of
>> countback - it would have looked too self-serving.
>>
>> As it was - particularly with Hamilton's mistake - it was an
>> entertaining end. Just a shame it wasn't a few laps more.
>>

> https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a36641502/blame-the-americans-for-pivotal-standing-restart-in-f1-azerbaijan-grand-prix/

Yep. I remember when Liberty changed the red flag re-start from a safety car start to a standing start.
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Re: Why did they restart?

<s9mgjo$der$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10687&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#10687

From: notonyou...@no.no.no.no (Alan Baker)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 18:19:50 -0700
 by: Alan Baker - Tue, 8 Jun 2021 01:19 UTC

On 2021-06-07 5:37 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
> On 8/06/2021 11:27 am, leonard hofstatder wrote:

>>> I think this is a key reason.
>>>
>>> While there was no reason not to restart - light was fine, time was
>>> fine, lots of teams willing and able to restart - it would have looked
>>> dodgy that Red Bull initiated the call to red flag the race rather than
>>> use a full safety car. Clearly they were worried about their second car
>>> blowing out, though I'm sure they'd say they were worried about the
>>> whole field. If they then benefited from that call too - because of
>>> countback - it would have looked too self-serving.
>>>
>>> As it was - particularly with Hamilton's mistake - it was an
>>> entertaining end. Just a shame it wasn't a few laps more.
>>>

>> https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a36641502/blame-the-americans-for-pivotal-standing-restart-in-f1-azerbaijan-grand-prix/
>

> Yep. I remember when Liberty changed the red flag re-start from a safety
> car start to a standing start.

Liberty did NOT do that.

Certainly, they could influence the FIA, but Liberty Media does NOT make
the rules.

Re: Why did they restart?

<4YExI.123897$gpy1.15675@fx11.ams4>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10791&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#10791

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
From: 2r4z...@gmail.com (RzR-t3h LeGeNd)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 12:04:00 +0300
 by: RzR-t3h LeGeNd - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 09:04 UTC

On 6/7/2021 12:46 AM, Matt Larkin wrote:
> I only watched the highlights and didn't hang around to watch post
> race commentary etc so I must have missed something.
>
> But I thought when a certain percentage of race distance had completed
> that a red flag brought about the end of the race with some sort of lap
> countback for positions etc.
>
> Has that changed?

Only way for Verstappen to maybe nab points...

Re: Why did they restart?

<bb9489b9-c502-4e73-bc22-309053716d65n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10794&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#10794

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 08:55:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: mr_gobr...@yahoo.co.uk (Mr Gobrien)
 by: Mr Gobrien - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 15:55 UTC

i think the autoweek article is correct - just more imported nascar type gimmickry.