From: FBInCIAn...@yahoo.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket,aus.sport.cricket
Subject: Intelligent Ashwin wants 2023 World Cup matches to start early to
minimise dew factor
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 00:12:59 -0800
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 08:12 UTC

Ashwin wants World Cup matches to start early to minimise dew factor

The offspinner believes starting games at 11.30am rather than 1.30pm
would lead to fairer contests

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/r-ashwin-wants-2023-odi-world-cup-matches-to-start-early-to-minimise-dew-factor-1353911

Should day-night matches in India begin earlier to minimise the impact
of the dew factor? R Ashwin certainly thinks so. The India offspinner
wants matches at the upcoming ODI World Cup, which will be played in
India in October-November 2023, to begin at 11.30am - a full two hours
earlier than the usual start of day-night ODI games in India.

In a video on his YouTube channel, Ashwin took the example of India's
first ODI against Sri Lanka in Guwahati to suggest that dew gives
chasing teams an undue advantage. Sent in to bat, India batted with
deliberate urgency keeping the dew factor in mind and posted a total of
373. They eventually won by 67 runs, but Ashwin felt the margin of
victory did not reflect their dominance on the day.

"My suggestion - or rather my opinion - for the World Cup is to look at
what venues we are playing in, and at what times. Why shouldn't we start
matches at 11.30am during the World Cup?"

Day-night ODIs in India usually begin at 1.30pm, and extend well into
the primetime television hours. While starting matches earlier may
arguably lead to fairer contests, broadcasters may be against such a
move given the potential risk of reduced viewership figures. Ashwin,
though, suggested that fans would tune in to watch World Cup matches
regardless of timing.

"People will bring up television viewers and broadcasters, and say that
people won't latch on and watch at that time, but would they not latch
on to World Cup matches?" he asked. "The recent T20 World Cup was also
held in winter, prioritising the summer [for Australia's home bilateral
season]. It wasn't the ideal scenario - T20 is a fast-paced game, how
can you play it in winter? People will say that's not the case in
Australia, but still, we need to prioritise World Cups.

"The ICC knows very well that there will be dew, so let's advance the
game, and if we start at 11.30am, the dew factor won't come into the
game, and why not? Won't all cricket fans prioritise the World Cup and
watch matches at 11.30?"

As things stand, Ashwin suggested that teams around the world look at
dew as one of the most significant factors in shaping day-night games in
India.

"ECB recently invited applications for the analyst's position, and - I
came to know this through some analysts I know - one of the important
questions they asked was, 'How big a factor is dew in Indian conditions
in white-ball cricket?' They're looking to bring in the best analytical
tools possible ahead of the 2023 World Cup, and they've asked all the
pertinent questions, so you can see how crucial everyone in world
cricket thinks the dew factor is in Indian conditions."