From: FBInCIAn...@yahoo.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Subject: Winning in India is bigger than Ashes - Steve Smith
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket,aus.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 06:53:55 +0000
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 06:53 UTC

Steve Smith's opinion is based on past Ashes series.

Steve Smith – “It’s a difficult place to win a Test match let alone a
series so you know if we were able to topple that mountain that would be
huge. I think if we can win in India that would be bigger than the Ashes.”

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/winning-in-india-is-
bigger-than-ashes-watch-aussie-test-stars-spill-beans-on-challenges-they-
face-when-playing-against-india-8426555/

‘Winning in India is bigger than Ashes’: Watch Aussie Test stars spill
beans on challenges they face while playing against India
Australia haven’t beaten India in a Test series since 2015. India have
been dominating the Border-Gavaskar trophy winning both home and away for
the last eight years.

Ahead of the much looked-forward-to Border-Gavaskar Trophy that gets
underway from Thursday, 9th February in Nagpur, the Baggy Greens reveal
what it’s like playing a Test series in India.

From comparing the India tour with the Ashes to revealing their most
challenging fears, here is how the visitors reacted when asked ‘What’s
tougher: An India tour, or away Ashes series?’:

Mitchell Starc – “Playing a series in India would be special to our group.
I think it’s always been a bit of a crown jewel for Australian touring
teams… it’s one of the if not the hardest place to play away with such
foreign conditions…how strong the Indian team are at the moment. For our
group where we sit at this minute and how we’re building a group and
learning and adapting and bringing that experience in. I think that would
be really special.”

“On one side you have got all this great history of Ashes…whether you play
in England or not and then you have got this tour of India which has
always been out of reach for many Australian teams. So, if we could win an
away Ashes and an away India then that would be a huge opportunity for any
Australian team but certainly a unique opportunity to do this year.”

David Warner – “Really looking forward to it…it’s always a hard graph and
the one thing I’m looking forward to is applying myself against the best
spinners of the world. Being a part of that last Ashes was fantastic but
to go to India and beat them in India…that’s the toughest challenge in
Test cricket for us.”

Josh Hazlewood – “It’s probably the last thing to think of…winning a
series in England and winning a series in India…we won a testament last
time we had good chances to win the series but didn’t quite grab them.
It’s probably been longer since Australia won there and less frequently
they have won there. In world cricket, that’s how runs go…we will try
winning in India.”

Steve Smith – “It’s a difficult place to win a Test match let alone a
series so you know if we were able to topple that mountain that would be
huge. I think if we can win in India that would be bigger than the Ashes.”

Travis Head – “The robbery is growing and growing and growing and that
would get one up from us at home and be nice to do it the other way
around.”

Nathan Lyon – “It’s gonna be hard work, we know that but I think I can
play a massive role in that. I’m really looking forward to it.”

Re: Winning in India is bigger than Ashes - Steve Smith

<k4bpsoFmm7kU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1098&group=rec.sport.cricket#1098

From: nos...@lane-farm.fsnet.co.uk (David North)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket,aus.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2023 07:51:51 +0000
 by: David North - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 07:51 UTC

On 06/02/2023 06:53, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:

> https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/winning-in-india-is-
> bigger-than-ashes-watch-aussie-test-stars-spill-beans-on-challenges-they-
> face-when-playing-against-india-8426555/

There are a few misquotes in that article:

> David Warner – “Really looking forward to it…it’s always a hard graph

graft

> Josh Hazlewood – “It’s probably the last thing to think of…winning a
> series in England and winning a series in India…we won a testament last
> time

Test match

> Travis Head – “The robbery is growing and growing and growing

That rivalry

--
David North

Re: Winning in India is bigger than Ashes - Steve Smith

<17412f87d634197b$9$826775$4ed35ede@news.thundernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1099&group=rec.sport.cricket#1099

From: FBInCIAn...@yahoo.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket,aus.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 08:39:56 +0000
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 08:39 UTC

On Mon, 06 Feb 2023 07:51:51 +0000, David North wrote:

> On 06/02/2023 06:53, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
>
>> https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/winning-in-india-is-
>> bigger-than-ashes-watch-aussie-test-stars-spill-beans-on-challenges-
they-
>> face-when-playing-against-india-8426555/
>
> There are a few misquotes in that article:
>
>> David Warner – “Really looking forward to it…it’s always a hard graph
>
> graft
>
>> Josh Hazlewood – “It’s probably the last thing to think of…winning a
>> series in England and winning a series in India…we won a testament last
>> time
>
> Test match
>
>> Travis Head – “The robbery is growing and growing and growing
>
> That rivalry

That's why I mentioned ONLY Steve Smith's personal opinion in the title.

But definitely Border-Gavaskar Trophy has been more exciting and rivalry
fierce to watch than Ashes for the last 10 years, since Ashes has been
really onesided and boring more often than not.

Next Ashes will be great to watch though, with England's new bazball
approach and 9 out of last 10 tests wins.

Re: Winning in India is bigger than Ashes - Steve Smith

<1741394de51c8458$1$1229296$48d358de@news.thundernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1100&group=rec.sport.cricket#1100

From: FBInCIAn...@yahoo.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket,aus.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 11:39:03 +0000
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Mon, 6 Feb 2023 11:39 UTC

On Mon, 06 Feb 2023 07:51:51 +0000, David North wrote:

> On 06/02/2023 06:53, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
>
>> https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/winning-in-india-is-
>> bigger-than-ashes-watch-aussie-test-stars-spill-beans-on-challenges-
they-
>> face-when-playing-against-india-8426555/
>
> There are a few misquotes in that article:
>
>> David Warner – “Really looking forward to it…it’s always a hard graph
>
> graft
>
>> Josh Hazlewood – “It’s probably the last thing to think of…winning a
>> series in England and winning a series in India…we won a testament last
>> time
>
> Test match
>
>> Travis Head – “The robbery is growing and growing and growing
>
> That rivalry

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/india-vs-australia-a-history-of-
enthralling-contests-1355998

India vs Australia this century: one classic after the other

Dramatic, unpredictable, controversial - for over two decades now, the
Border-Gavaskar trophy has been one of cricket's great rivalries

Andrew McGlashan

Australia and India first played Test cricket against each other in 1947,
but it's over the last two decades that the rivalry has grown into one of
the dominant duels in the game. Ahead of the next instalment of the Border-
Gavaskar Trophy, a look back on how each series has played out since the
turn of the millennium

India vs Australia 2000-01
India won 2-1
Though the two sides have had history before, this series took the rivalry
up several notches and featured one of the greatest comebacks. Australia
had built a formidable side - perhaps their best ever - under Steve Waugh,
and their victory in the opening Test made it a record 16 wins in a row.

Despite a hat-trick by Harbhajan Singh - the first ever by an Indian
bowler in the format - Test No. 17 looked all but won in Kolkata when
India were made to follow on. Then came VVS Laxman and Rahul Dravid. The
pair batted throughout the fourth day, building a fifth-wicket stand of
376 and setting Australia 384 to get. At times the draw looked odds on,
but Sachin Tendulkar blew the game open and Harbhajan secured a historic
win.

What followed in Chennai was scarcely less dramatic. Matthew Hayden scored
a double-century to cap a remarkable series for him, and Harbhajan took 15
wickets. India needed 155 and edged over the line by two wickets.

Australia vs India, 2003-04
series drawn 1-1
This series featured a truly epic encounter in Adelaide. Ricky Ponting's
242 had led Australia to a seemingly impregnable 556, but once again
Dravid and Laxman had other ideas. This time they added 303 for the fifth
wicket, Dravid going on to post 233, as India almost drew level, to make
it a one-innings contest. Then Ajit Agarkar had his finest hour, taking 6
for 41 to leave a tantalising target of 230. Again it was Dravid who led
the chase, an unbeaten 72 securing another place in the game's folklore.

Australia hit back in the Boxing Day Test despite Virender Sehwag's
stunning 195, with another Ponting double setting up the series-levelling
victory. The decider at the SCG saw India fill their boots to the tune of
705 for 7, with Tendulkar forging an unbeaten 241 and Laxman a majestic
178. Anil Kumble almost single-handedly bowled Australia out, but Justin
Langer and Simon Katich hit centuries. After a second-innings dash (and
another 91 not out from Dravid), Australia were set 443. They gave it a
crack, led by Katich and Waugh in his final Test, before everyone
ultimately shook hands and drew breath.

India vs Australia, 2004-05
Australia won 2-1
Captained by Adam Gilchrist in the absence of an injured Ponting,
Australia secured one of their finest overseas series wins. Gilchrist
himself was key in the opening Test, in Bangalore, with a rapid century,
alongside a majestic 151 on debut by Michael Clarke. A three-pronged pace
attack, supplemented by Shane Warne, then worked through India's batting
with efficiency and precision.

The second Test, in Chennai was a ding-dong battle until a final-day
washout denied a gripping finish. Australia had folded from 136 for 0 to
235 all out in the first innings before Sehwag cracked 155. However,
Damien Martyn's century kept the visitors in the contest. At the end,
everyone was left wondering about what could have been if it hadn't rained
with India in pursuit of a target of 229.

There was no tight tussle in the match that decided the series: Australia
steamrolled India in a 342-run win in Nagpur. Martyn had one of his finest
Tests, with 114 and 97, while Clarke made 91. Jason Gillespie led the way
with the ball, taking nine in the match. A fit-again Ponting returned for
the final Test in Mumbai, on a hugely challenging surface, where India
nicked a thrilling win, defending just 107 after Clarke had taken an
extraordinary 6 for 9.

Australia vs India, 2007-08
Australia won 2-1
A series that began with a comfortable Australia win at the MCG took a
controversial, ill-tempered twist in Sydney, where a racism controversy
involving Harbhajan and Andrew Symonds overshadowed the match. Harbhajan
was initially banned for three Tests before the ban was overturned on
appeal. Symonds dominated the early stages of that game with a career-best
162 not out, having survived an edge behind on 30 that umpire Steve
Bucknor did not spot. There was more umpiring controversy on the final day
when Dravid was given caught behind and Clarke secured a victory in the
dying moments - equalling Australia's previous 16-match winning run. The
post-match conversation was fractious, with Kumble channelling talk from
the days of Bodyline: "Only one team was playing in the spirit of the
game." Briefly, India threatened to quit the tour.

Tempers had calmed by Perth, where Ishant Sharma rattled Ponting with a
thrilling spell, and India produced a brilliant victory. Unfortunately,
the series came to an underwhelming finish in Adelaide, where a flat pitch
was the only winner, besides some batting averages.

India vs Australia, 2008-09
India won 2-0
Australia failed to repeat their triumph of four years earlier, the
weakness of their spin attack proving telling. They showed promising signs
in the opening Test, with Ponting and Mike Hussey's centuries dominating a
drawn game, but India were far too good in Mohali, where the differences
started to show.

Delhi was a match for the batters. Laxman enhanced his brilliant record
against Australia while Gautam Gambhir also made a double century. In a
bid to try and level the series, Australia gave a debut to offspinner
Jason Krejza in the final Test and he collected 12 wickets, although at
the eye-watering cost of 358 runs. The visitors were made to pay for a
first-innings slide from 229 for 2 to 355 all out, and eventually a target
of 382 proved well out of reach.

India vs Australia, 2010-11
India won 2-0
This short two-match series began with a classic in Mohali. Australia were
given a strong base: Shane Watson's century and Tim Paine's 92 carried
them over 400. No one passed three figures for India - Tendulkar fell lbw
to Marcus North on 98 - with Mitchell Johnson taking five wickets to leave
things almost all square. From 87 for 0, Australia then lost all ten
wickets for 105 runs to leave a target of 216. At 124 for 8, the visitors
were comfortable favourites but their arch nemesis, Laxman, found an ally
in Ishant to get within 11 runs of the target. Amid late drama, Pragyan
Ojha helped India scramble over the line.

The second Test, in Bengaluru saw two big first innings. Tendulkar's
double-century was the dominant display as Australia fought hard to stay
in touch. However, ultimately a target of 207 set early on the final day
was well short of being competitive, and Cheteshwar Pujara broke the back
of India's chase.

Australia vs India, 2011-12
Australia won 4-0
After a hard-fought opening game in Melbourne, it became a one-sided
series with the home side far too strong, although Australia did get their
first glimpse in Test cricket of a certain Virat Kohli. At the MCG, India
let a strong position slip when they were 214 for 2 in reply to 333, but
they then had Australia rocking at 27 for 4. A stand of 115 between
Ponting and Clarke - former and current captains - got the home side back
on track and in the end 292 proved well out of reach for India.

India were also overwhelmed in Sydney and Perth. At the SCG, Clarke hit an
unbeaten 329 in huge stands with Ponting (134) and Hussey (150 not out)
while at the WACA, David Warner made a scintillating 180 off 159 balls,
including a century in a session on the first evening. Australia's four-
pronged pace attack was too much for India to handle. Ponting (221), with
what was his last Test century, and Clarke (210) filled their boots again
in Adelaide in another comfortable win, but India's first innings included
116 from Kohli at a ground where he would continue to shine.

India vs Australia, 2012-13
India won 4-0
As the previous series had been one-sided in favour of the hosts, so was
this. For Australia it would forever be known for the "Homeworkgate" saga
that led to four players - Shane Watson, James Pattinson, Mitchell Johnson
and Usman Khawaja - being dropped for the third Test, having failed to
follow team orders.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Winning in India is bigger than Ashes - Steve Smith

<17417e147c4c833e$5$826775$4ed35ede@news.thundernews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1101&group=rec.sport.cricket#1101

From: FBInCIAn...@yahoo.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket,aus.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2023 08:39:22 +0000
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Tue, 7 Feb 2023 08:39 UTC

On Mon, 06 Feb 2023 07:51:51 +0000, David North wrote:

> On 06/02/2023 06:53, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer wrote:
>
>> https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/winning-in-india-is-
>> bigger-than-ashes-watch-aussie-test-stars-spill-beans-on-challenges-
they-
>> face-when-playing-against-india-8426555/
>
> There are a few misquotes in that article:
>
>> David Warner – “Really looking forward to it…it’s always a hard graph
>
> graft
>
>> Josh Hazlewood – “It’s probably the last thing to think of…winning a
>> series in England and winning a series in India…we won a testament last
>> time
>
> Test match
>
>> Travis Head – “The robbery is growing and growing and growing
>
> That rivalry

Ashes lost its luster in the last 10 years because of its one sided games
and England NOT being able to put up a fight with Australia.

Ravi Shastri on India vs Aus rivalry:

Asked whether India versus Australia was the greatest rivalry in modern-
day sport, Shastri replied: “No question. It’s not just the cricket on the
field. The buzz that an India-Australia series creates is second to none
in world cricket. India is one of the teams that has really competed
against Australia. That’s what has got everybody to watch the series. More
than anything else, credit must be given to the Indian players for making
that happen. Australia always had a reputation: of playing in a certain
fashion and dismantling sides. For India to step up and play them at their
own game speaks volumes for the way the Indian players have performed over
the last few years.”