Most people's favorite way to end a game is by winning.

sport / rec.sport.soccer / Re: Shirts #19 to 23 in World Cups

SubjectAuthor
* Shirts #19 to 23 in World CupsLléo
+* Re: Shirts #19 to 23 in World CupsJesus Petry
|`- Re: Shirts #19 to 23 in World CupsLléo
+* Re: Shirts #19 to 23 in World CupsFutbolmetrix
|+* Re: Shirts #19 to 23 in World CupsWerner Pichler
||`- Re: Shirts #19 to 23 in World CupsLléo
|`- Re: Shirts #19 to 23 in World CupsLléo
`- Re: Shirts #19 to 23 in World CupsWerner Pichler

1
Shirts #19 to 23 in World Cups

<a5bcedc2-2621-4431-82fd-0a106b05ce1bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10971&group=rec.sport.soccer#10971

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2022 20:15:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Shirts #19 to 23 in World Cups
From: llb.mo...@gmail.com (Lléo)
 by: Lléo - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 03:15 UTC

Continuing the theme of my previous post, about squad numbers and how long we
have to wait until WC kickoff, here's a quick rundown about the previous numbers
(19 to 23), from highest to lowest.

23 is the youngest number of the lot, used only from 2002 onwards. It's often a
not very interesting one, as it tends to end up with a reserve goalkeeper, who
is not likely to see much action. This is the case of its most frequent user,
Spanish goalkeeper Pepe Reina, who carried it from 2006 to 2018, though he only
played one game (a meaningless first round game against Australia in 2014, when
both sides were out of contention). Uruguayan goalkeeper Martín Silva also fits
this bill, having featured three WC's as his country's #23, but never playing
a minute. From those who took up the field, there are Switzerland's Xherdan
Shaqiri (2010 to 2018, also the number's top goalscorer, with 4 goals) and
Australia's Mark Bresciano (2006 to 2014) with three WC's with #23 in their backs.

Other notable users: Italy's Marco Materazzi (2006), who beyond winning that WC
also got Zidane sent off in that final; the Netherlands' Tim Krul, who came from
the subs bench at the end of extra time to stop Costa Rica on the penalty shootout
in the 2014 quarterfinals; and rss old favorite "Super" Mario Gomez, who used it
in 2010 and 2018, having missed 2014 after an injury-plagued season (as well as
carrying it in Euros 2012 and 2016).

22, like 23, usually ended up in the back of reserve keepers. But in that capacity,
it lays claim to fame as it was worn by Faryd Mondragón in his three games for
Colombia in 1998 and, 16 years later, for five minutes of Colombia's first round
clash with Japan, as Pekerman subbed him in to become the oldest player to ever
feature in a WC (a record broken four years later by another goalie, Egyptian Essam
El Hadary). Other than that, little to write home about what is basically a list of
backup keepers, some of which would feature for their countries in future WC's.
Most frequent user is Uruguayan defender Martín Cáceres (2010 to 2018), and other
honourable mentions go to Alexi Lalas (1994 and 1998), Franck Ribery (2002), and
the top goalscorer using number 22, Russia's Artem Dzyuba (3 goals in 2018)..

21 is a more interesting one. You get all kinds of players here: forwards, such as
Christian Vieri (the number's top goalscorer, with 9 goals), Gianluca Vialli,
Gianfranco Zola, Edinson Cavani and David Silva; midfielders, such as Luis Enrique,
Michel, Andrea Pirlo and Jose Daniel Valencia ; defenders, such as Christoph
Metzelder and Mauro Galvão; and even goalkeepers, such as Ramón Quiroga (once
booked in the opponent's half of the pitch in Peru's 1-0 loss to Poland in 1978)
and Stere Adamache (Romanian, first goalkeeper to be substituted during open play
in a World Cup match, Romania's 3-2 loss to Brasil in 1970). There are four players
who used it for three WC's: Jesus Arellano (Mexico, 1998 to 2006), David Silva
(Spain, 2010 to 2018), Luis Enrique (Spain, 1994 to 2002) and Andrea Pirlo (Italy,
2006 to 2014). Of course, we should make an honourable mention to another rss
favorite, Marko Marin, who used it for Germany in 2010.

20 gets a lot of action with forwards. Most famous example of course is Paolo
Rossi, whose 6 goals in the decisive rounds of WC'82 carried Italy to the trophy
and his name to the top of goalscorer list with this number. Brasil brings Vavá
(1958), Roberto Dinamite (1978 and 1982), Bebeto (1998) and Firmino (2018), and
maybe may claim Ronaldo too, even though he didn't get to play in 1994. Other than
that, there's France's David Trezeguet, Germany's Oliver Bierhoff, Poland's
Zbigniew Boniek, Italy's Roberto Boninsegna and England's Michael Owen (in his
first WC) as honourable mentions. The player who carried it for most WC's was South
Korea's Hong Myung-bo, from 1990 to 2002.

And finally 19. This was Lionel Messi's first ever squad number in a WC, in 2006,
and also Daniel Passarella's number as he captained Argentina in their 1978
victory. I'd also like to mention Juninho Pernambucano (Brasil, 2006), because he
was one of my favorite players. The number's top goalscorer is Salvatore Schillaci,
due to his 6 goals in WC'90, and four players wore it in three World Cups: Julio
Salinas (Spain, 1986 to 1994), Freddy Rincón (Colombia, 1990 to 1998), Gianluca
Zambrotta (Italy, 2002 to 2010) and Yaya Touré (Ivory Coast, 2006 to 2014).

That should cover the "late" numbers but, as always, feel free to contribute to
the above or correct any eventual inaccuracies.

Best regards,

Lléo

Re: Shirts #19 to 23 in World Cups

<d74b1f9a-6e0d-404c-9153-10e23c53ec5an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10979&group=rec.sport.soccer#10979

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 06:06:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Shirts #19 to 23 in World Cups
From: jesus.pe...@gmail.com (Jesus Petry)
 by: Jesus Petry - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 13:06 UTC

Em quinta-feira, 3 de novembro de 2022 às 00:15:46 UTC-3, Lléo escreveu:
> Continuing the theme of my previous post, about squad numbers and how long we
> have to wait until WC kickoff, here's a quick rundown about the previous numbers
> (19 to 23), from highest to lowest.

Great idea!

> 23 is the youngest number of the lot, used only from 2002 onwards. It's often a
> not very interesting one, as it tends to end up with a reserve goalkeeper, who
> is not likely to see much action. This is the case of its most frequent user,
> Spanish goalkeeper Pepe Reina, who carried it from 2006 to 2018, though he only
> played one game (a meaningless first round game against Australia in 2014, when
> both sides were out of contention). Uruguayan goalkeeper Martín Silva also fits
> this bill, having featured three WC's as his country's #23, but never playing
> a minute. From those who took up the field, there are Switzerland's Xherdan
> Shaqiri (2010 to 2018, also the number's top goalscorer, with 4 goals) and
> Australia's Mark Bresciano (2006 to 2014) with three WC's with #23 in their backs.
>
> Other notable users: Italy's Marco Materazzi (2006), who beyond winning that WC
> also got Zidane sent off in that final; the Netherlands' Tim Krul, who came from
> the subs bench at the end of extra time to stop Costa Rica on the penalty shootout
> in the 2014 quarterfinals; and rss old favorite "Super" Mario Gomez, who used it
> in 2010 and 2018, having missed 2014 after an injury-plagued season (as well as
> carrying it in Euros 2012 and 2016).

Kaká was #23 in his first World Cup (the one Brazil won).

> 22, like 23, usually ended up in the back of reserve keepers. But in that capacity,
> it lays claim to fame as it was worn by Faryd Mondragón in his three games for
> Colombia in 1998 and, 16 years later, for five minutes of Colombia's first round
> clash with Japan, as Pekerman subbed him in to become the oldest player to ever
> feature in a WC (a record broken four years later by another goalie, Egyptian Essam
> El Hadary). Other than that, little to write home about what is basically a list of
> backup keepers, some of which would feature for their countries in future WC's.
> Most frequent user is Uruguayan defender Martín Cáceres (2010 to 2018), and other
> honourable mentions go to Alexi Lalas (1994 and 1998), Franck Ribery (2002), and
> the top goalscorer using number 22, Russia's Artem Dzyuba (3 goals in 2018).
>
> 21 is a more interesting one. You get all kinds of players here: forwards, such as
> Christian Vieri (the number's top goalscorer, with 9 goals), Gianluca Vialli,
> Gianfranco Zola, Edinson Cavani and David Silva; midfielders, such as Luis Enrique,
> Michel, Andrea Pirlo and Jose Daniel Valencia ; defenders, such as Christoph
> Metzelder and Mauro Galvão; and even goalkeepers, such as Ramón Quiroga (once
> booked in the opponent's half of the pitch in Peru's 1-0 loss to Poland in 1978)
> and Stere Adamache (Romanian, first goalkeeper to be substituted during open play
> in a World Cup match, Romania's 3-2 loss to Brasil in 1970). There are four players
> who used it for three WC's: Jesus Arellano (Mexico, 1998 to 2006), David Silva
> (Spain, 2010 to 2018), Luis Enrique (Spain, 1994 to 2002) and Andrea Pirlo (Italy,
> 2006 to 2014). Of course, we should make an honourable mention to another rss
> favorite, Marko Marin, who used it for Germany in 2010.
>
> 20 gets a lot of action with forwards. Most famous example of course is Paolo
> Rossi, whose 6 goals in the decisive rounds of WC'82 carried Italy to the trophy
> and his name to the top of goalscorer list with this number. Brasil brings Vavá
> (1958), Roberto Dinamite (1978 and 1982), Bebeto (1998) and Firmino (2018), and
> maybe may claim Ronaldo too, even though he didn't get to play in 1994. Other than
> that, there's France's David Trezeguet, Germany's Oliver Bierhoff, Poland's
> Zbigniew Boniek, Italy's Roberto Boninsegna and England's Michael Owen (in his
> first WC) as honourable mentions. The player who carried it for most WC's was South
> Korea's Hong Myung-bo, from 1990 to 2002.

Amarildo, the man who had to replace Pelé, was #20 in 1962!

> And finally 19. This was Lionel Messi's first ever squad number in a WC, in 2006,
> and also Daniel Passarella's number as he captained Argentina in their 1978
> victory. I'd also like to mention Juninho Pernambucano (Brasil, 2006), because he
> was one of my favorite players. The number's top goalscorer is Salvatore Schillaci,
> due to his 6 goals in WC'90, and four players wore it in three World Cups: Julio
> Salinas (Spain, 1986 to 1994), Freddy Rincón (Colombia, 1990 to 1998), Gianluca
> Zambrotta (Italy, 2002 to 2010) and Yaya Touré (Ivory Coast, 2006 to 2014).
>
> That should cover the "late" numbers but, as always, feel free to contribute to
> the above or correct any eventual inaccuracies.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lléo

Re: Shirts #19 to 23 in World Cups

<cf4cb3b8-0289-469b-bc21-ac983fd8a183n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10985&group=rec.sport.soccer#10985

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 06:49:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: llb.mo...@gmail.com (Lléo)
 by: Lléo - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 13:49 UTC

Jesus Petry escreveu:
> Em quinta-feira, 3 de novembro de 2022 às 00:15:46 UTC-3, Lléo escreveu:
> >
> > [snip #23]
> > Other notable users: Italy's Marco Materazzi (2006), who beyond winning that WC
> > also got Zidane sent off in that final; the Netherlands' Tim Krul, who came from
> > the subs bench at the end of extra time to stop Costa Rica on the penalty shootout
> > in the 2014 quarterfinals; and rss old favorite "Super" Mario Gomez, who used it
> > in 2010 and 2018, having missed 2014 after an injury-plagued season (as well as
> > carrying it in Euros 2012 and 2016).
>
> Kaká was #23 in his first World Cup (the one Brazil won).

I definitely should have mentioned him here. I remember Scolari trying to
sub him in at injury time in the final, but the referee blew final whistle
before he could get in. For some reason I remember it as a somewhat comical
moment. In my mind's eye, he was desperate to go in (maybe so that he could
claim having played in a WC final, even if for a few seconds :-)), but then
there goes Denilson again hiding the ball in the left wing to run down the
clock :-)

> > [snip #22 and #21]
> > 20 gets a lot of action with forwards. Most famous example of course is Paolo
> > Rossi, whose 6 goals in the decisive rounds of WC'82 carried Italy to the trophy
> > and his name to the top of goalscorer list with this number. Brasil brings Vavá
> > (1958), Roberto Dinamite (1978 and 1982), Bebeto (1998) and Firmino (2018), and
> > maybe may claim Ronaldo too, even though he didn't get to play in 1994. Other than
> > that, there's France's David Trezeguet, Germany's Oliver Bierhoff, Poland's
> > Zbigniew Boniek, Italy's Roberto Boninsegna and England's Michael Owen (in his
> > first WC) as honourable mentions. The player who carried it for most WC's was South
> > Korea's Hong Myung-bo, from 1990 to 2002.
>

> Amarildo, the man who had to replace Pelé, was #20 in 1962!

I am severely kicking myself right now: Amarildo was the very first name I
thought after Paolo Rossi, I could have sworn I had written him in! Thanks
for spotting that!

Best regards,

Lléo

Re: Shirts #19 to 23 in World Cups

<bbc46e8b-0f45-4057-becd-509cedc119c2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10986&group=rec.sport.soccer#10986

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 06:57:36 -0700 (PDT)
From: daniele....@gmail.com (Futbolmetrix)
 by: Futbolmetrix - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 13:57 UTC

On Wednesday, November 2, 2022 at 11:15:46 PM UTC-4, Lléo wrote:
> Other notable users: Italy's Marco Materazzi (2006), who beyond winning that WC
> also got Zidane sent off in that final;

Poor Materazzi. Scored a goal in a WC final, was reponsible for one of the most iconic moments in WC history, and even cooly buried his penalty kick (the second of the series, after Trezeguet's mistake), so nominally scoring Italy's go-ahead goal...and all he gets is an "other notable users"?

> 21 is a more interesting one. You get all kinds of players here: forwards, such as
> Christian Vieri (the number's top goalscorer, with 9 goals),

Paolo Rossi wore 21 in 1978.

> Gianluca Vialli,
> Gianfranco Zola, Edinson Cavani and David Silva; midfielders, such as Luis Enrique,
> Michel, Andrea Pirlo and Jose Daniel Valencia ; defenders, such as Christoph
> Metzelder and Mauro Galvão; and even goalkeepers, such as Ramón Quiroga (once
> booked in the opponent's half of the pitch in Peru's 1-0 loss to Poland in 1978)

Definitely the only thing Quiroga is famous for...

> And finally 19. This was Lionel Messi's first ever squad number in a WC, in 2006,
> and also Daniel Passarella's number as he captained Argentina in their 1978
> victory. I'd also like to mention Juninho Pernambucano (Brasil, 2006), because he
> was one of my favorite players. The number's top goalscorer is Salvatore Schillaci,
> due to his 6 goals in WC'90, and four players wore it in three World Cups: Julio
> Salinas (Spain, 1986 to 1994), Freddy Rincón (Colombia, 1990 to 1998), Gianluca
> Zambrotta (Italy, 2002 to 2010) and Yaya Touré (Ivory Coast, 2006 to 2014).
>
> That should cover the "late" numbers but, as always, feel free to contribute to
> the above or correct any eventual inaccuracies.

Great thread!

> Lléo

Re: Shirts #19 to 23 in World Cups

<e08102bc-6357-4652-b9b8-dab5147c9c73n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10987&group=rec.sport.soccer#10987

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 08:37:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: wpich...@gmail.com (Werner Pichler)
 by: Werner Pichler - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 15:37 UTC

On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 2:57:38 PM UTC+1, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 2, 2022 at 11:15:46 PM UTC-4, Lléo wrote:
>

> > 21 is a more interesting one. You get all kinds of players here: forwards, such as
> > Christian Vieri (the number's top goalscorer, with 9 goals),
>
> Paolo Rossi wore 21 in 1978.
>
> > Gianluca Vialli,
> > Gianfranco Zola, Edinson Cavani and David Silva; midfielders, such as Luis Enrique,
> > Michel, Andrea Pirlo and Jose Daniel Valencia ; defenders, such as Christoph
> > Metzelder and Mauro Galvão; and even goalkeepers, such as Ramón Quiroga (once
> > booked in the opponent's half of the pitch in Peru's 1-0 loss to Poland in 1978)
>
> Definitely the only thing Quiroga is famous for...

Well it beats what Metzelder is unfortunately most famous for these days.

Ciao,
Werner

Re: Shirts #19 to 23 in World Cups

<2891e34c-2bec-4bbc-b05d-afccce6a8826n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10988&group=rec.sport.soccer#10988

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 08:41:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: wpich...@gmail.com (Werner Pichler)
 by: Werner Pichler - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 15:41 UTC

On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 4:15:46 AM UTC+1, Lléo wrote:
> Continuing the theme of my previous post, about squad numbers and how long we
> have to wait until WC kickoff, here's a quick rundown about the previous numbers
> (19 to 23), from highest to lowest.
>
> 21 is a more interesting one. You get all kinds of players here: forwards, such as
> Christian Vieri (the number's top goalscorer, with 9 goals), Gianluca Vialli,
> Gianfranco Zola, Edinson Cavani and David Silva; midfielders, such as Luis Enrique,
> Michel, Andrea Pirlo and Jose Daniel Valencia ; defenders, such as Christoph
> Metzelder and Mauro Galvão; and even goalkeepers, such as Ramón Quiroga (once
> booked in the opponent's half of the pitch in Peru's 1-0 loss to Poland in 1978)

And people act as if Manuel Neuer had invented the sweeper keeper.

Ciao,
Werner

Re: Shirts #19 to 23 in World Cups

<17a1e3b6-b754-4a61-8a17-2ade4cd0efd7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10989&group=rec.sport.soccer#10989

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 09:17:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: llb.mo...@gmail.com (Lléo)
 by: Lléo - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 16:17 UTC

Futbolmetrix escreveu:
> On Wednesday, November 2, 2022 at 11:15:46 PM UTC-4, Lléo wrote:
>
> > Other notable users: Italy's Marco Materazzi (2006), who beyond winning that WC
> > also got Zidane sent off in that final;
>
> Poor Materazzi. Scored a goal in a WC final, was reponsible for one of the most
> iconic moments in WC history, and even cooly buried his penalty kick (the second
> of the series, after Trezeguet's mistake), so nominally scoring Italy's go-ahead
> goal...and all he gets is an "other notable users"?

Fair enough, I definitely should have given him more credit. Indeed, he is a much
better example of a #23 than some others I mentioned. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa
for missing that.

> > 21 is a more interesting one. You get all kinds of players here: forwards, such as
> > Christian Vieri (the number's top goalscorer, with 9 goals),
> Paolo Rossi wore 21 in 1978.
> > Gianluca Vialli,
> > Gianfranco Zola, Edinson Cavani and David Silva; midfielders, such as Luis Enrique,
> > Michel, Andrea Pirlo and Jose Daniel Valencia ; defenders, such as Christoph
> > Metzelder and Mauro Galvão; and even goalkeepers, such as Ramón Quiroga (once
> > booked in the opponent's half of the pitch in Peru's 1-0 loss to Poland in 1978)
>
> Definitely the only thing Quiroga is famous for...

There's the 6-0 too, but I actually don't think it's fair to put that one on his
back. He got picked on because of his nationality. I never watched the full game,
but looking at the goals, I don't think any of them was his fault.

Plus, Peruvians themselves didn't seem to think he was in anyone's pockets as he
also started WC'82.

Funnily enough, later on his career he went on to substitute another goalkeeper who
had to face accusations of taking bribes from an opponent (those were probably born
out of frustration, as it often happens in such cases). Peru came close to qualifying
directly to WC'86, but a late goal by Gareca the last qualifier, in Buenos Aires, put
Argentina through and sent Peru to the repechage, where they were to face Chile in the
semifinals. In the first leg, in Santiago, starting goalkeeper Eusebio Acasuzo had a
disastrous game and conceded three very soft goals to the hosts in 20 minutes, being
then immediately subbed off by coach Roberto Challe. The keeper brought in to replace
the disgraced Acasuzo was... Quiroga.

Best regards,

Lléo

Re: Shirts #19 to 23 in World Cups

<f0b9a12b-d910-4562-92ec-fb175aefecf2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=10990&group=rec.sport.soccer#10990

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 09:17:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: llb.mo...@gmail.com (Lléo)

Werner Pichler escreveu:
> On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 2:57:38 PM UTC+1, Futbolmetrix wrote:
> > On Wednesday, November 2, 2022 at 11:15:46 PM UTC-4, Lléo wrote:
> >
> > > [about #21]
> > > defenders, such as Christoph
> > > Metzelder and Mauro Galvão; and even goalkeepers, such as Ramón Quiroga (once
> > > booked in the opponent's half of the pitch in Peru's 1-0 loss to Poland in 1978)
> >
> > Definitely the only thing Quiroga is famous for...
>
> Well it beats what Metzelder is unfortunately most famous for these days.

I didn't know what this was about and just googled it. Man, I had NO idea.

Best regards,

Lléo