Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.cart
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: here only - Road race - Ro9ger Ward with Offy Midget
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 19:16:54 -0700
 by: a425couple - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 02:16 UTC

Innovative, Banned, and Unique Racing Vehicles.
Ben Crowe ·
6d
·
This is the story of not-so-much a Unique race car, but certainly a
unique scenario, and one with an unfancied victor.

In July of 1959, the Sports Car Club of America promoted a Formula Libre
event at Lime Rock with a hefty event purse - something certainly not
associated with the S.C.C.A. at the time which largely promoted racing
at the amateur level.
As a result, the event lured a large scope of talented drivers and fast
machines, primarily of the European Sports Car variety. Amongst the
field was Rodger Ward, coming off the back of winning that years Indy
500. It was what he was driving however that raised eyebrows; a lowly
Kurtis-Kraft Offenhauser Midget, complete with in-out direct driveline,
and external hand-operated brake! Simply put, it had arrived just as if
it had come from the dirt track in Anywhereville, USA. Four other
Midgets had also entered, but it was Ward who captured the attention of
the paddock when he put the Kurtis Offy to the top in qualifying,
breaking the lap record in the process.
A third place and a win in the two heat races followed, but it was his
drive through the field in the 60 Lap main event that became part of the
Rodger Ward legend, as he humbled the greatest of Sports cars on their
own playground.
Perhaps buoyed by that success, Ward would enter that years U.S. Grand
Prix at Sebring in another Kurtis-Offy Midget, only to end up classified
as the final finisher.
Ward would later win another Indy 500 title in 1962, but it was his
efforts on the Salisbury, Connecticut road course that day that added an
interesting footnote to a storied career.
Reference:
https://bangshift.com/.../epic-win-the-story-behind-the.../
https://racer.com/.../insight-honoring-the-architect-of.../

Don Cooke
Nice to see my pictures out in the world instead of being dumpstered by
my kids when I croak. I was 17 and about to start college. I had bought
a Leica IIIc -- older than me -- with paper route money and did my own
wet-darkroom work. Here are a few more from that weekend; Dick Thompson
getting poached by Ward coming out of the left-hander:
May be an image of text
Reply6dEdited

Reply6dEdited
Don Cooke
Pedro Rodriguez, John Fitch and Chuck Daigh:
May be a black-and-white image of 4 people
Reply6d
Don Cooke
Lance Reventlow and another of the midgets. (Denise also drove in this
race!):
May be an image of car, rearview mirror, road and text that says 'MOTOR
SPORTS) EVERY TUESDAY in the.. Denise McCluggage N.Y MIRROR S S'
Reply6dEdited
Don Cooke
Not the first dirt-track episode for Ward!
May be a black-and-white image of text
Reply6d
Ben Crowe
Author
Top contributor
Don Cooke your photos are fantastic!
It's groups like this that are neat in having people that were there,
but having the person whom took the photos chime in is next level cool!
(and I sincerely hope that your kids one day realize the history
attached to your images 🙂)
Reply6d
R.C. Booth
Don Cooke this was the first road race for 15 year old me. I brought my
Kodak Tourist folder wishing I had your Leica!
Reply6d
David Smith
Later that same year, Ward brought another midget to Meadowdale for
another Formula Libre race. He qualified on the front row next to Jim
Jeffords in a Scarab and put up a good fight until dropping out with
suspension issues. I was there. Though just 5 years old at the time, I
remember Ward's midget vividly - it was so different than the other
cars. Here's a photo from that event, source unknown.
May be an image of text
Reply6d
Richard Scroggs
Rodger at the '59 US GP
May be an image of 5 people, car and text that says 'Safe LARK 1'
Reply6d
Doug Parker
Admin
Top contributor
This is such a cool story, cheers for the post, this sort of stuff is
like racing folklaw, you kinda here about it but great to get the full
story 😎
Reply6dEdited
Bill Morgan
Top contributor
I used to call on Rodger at his Firestone tire store in El Monte CA in
the 1970s.
Reply6d
Jimi Heyder
Whole reason I Hillclimb a midget. Everyone said it couldn’t be done.1st
time I drove the car was Mt Washington.
Reply6d
Rich Sweigart
Jimi Heyder , I ran my microsprint at a few hillclimbs.
May be an image of text
Reply6d
Delmar Long
What engine is that?
Reply6d
Rich Sweigart
Kawasaki 636
Reply6d
Jason Keffer
Man that is cool Thanks for sharing Ben Crowe😎👌👏👏👊🏁 I would love
to see it done with a USSAC silver crown car bet that would keep up with
most if not all the European cars of current!!
Reply6d
Alan Lane
I was there. Perched on the hill above the turn 2-3 "S's". My Dad was
racing a Ferrari Mondial. I was 12, and remember that pace lap vividly!
Reply6d
Mike Jiran
Top contributor
It definitely remains a piece of Lime Rock lore (and it’s cool to see
the pics and realize how little the track has changed…provided they’re
not using those circa 2009 optional chicanes at least)
Reply6d
Derek Sutton
If I recall, Roger could “drive normal” race cars quite well also! GT40s?
Reply6d
Leonard Fanelli
One of dad's happiest days!
Reply5d
Ray Saunders
Fitted with one of these?
May be an image of text
Reply5d
Bob Ball
That DBR1 tho mmm
Reply2d
Art Bone
Didn’t Ward also win “The Race of Two Worlds” at Monza, Italy with some
sort of Indy car?
Reply6d
Cas Willoughby
My Dad loved early midget or TQ racing in Australia.
Reply5d
Chris Roldan
Heck yeah, slaying giants!
Reply6d