I've only got 12 cards.

sport / rec.sport.cricket / Re: Another UPSET in WC2023 - Netherlands BEAT South Africa

SubjectAuthor
* Another UPSET in WC2023 - Netherlands BEAT South AfricaFBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
`* Re: Another UPSET in WC2023 - Netherlands BEAT South AfricaJohn Hall
 +* Re: Another UPSET in WC2023 - Netherlands BEAT South AfricaFBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
 |`- Re: Another UPSET in WC2023 - Netherlands BEAT South AfricaJohn Hall
 `* Re: Another UPSET in WC2023 - Netherlands BEAT South AfricaRobert Henderson
  `- Re: Another UPSET in WC2023 - Netherlands BEAT South Africaansh khandelwal

1
Another UPSET in WC2023 - Netherlands BEAT South Africa

<ugmfdo$3350l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1196&group=rec.sport.cricket#1196

From: FBInCIAn...@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket
Subject: Another UPSET in WC2023 - Netherlands BEAT South Africa
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 10:14:29 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 17:14 UTC

Netherlands vs South Africa WC 2023

Big Upset after Afghanistan beat defending Champion England a couple of
days ago.

Did South Africa make a mistake by choosing to bowl first after winning
the toss OR they just became complacent and lost.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2023-24-1367856/netherlands-vs-south-africa-15th-match-1384406/full-scorecard

Re: Another UPSET in WC2023 - Netherlands BEAT South Africa

<nEs5FbB57sLlFwT6@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1197&group=rec.sport.cricket#1197

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 19:14:17 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 18:14 UTC

In message <ugmfdo$3350l$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
<FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes

>Netherlands vs South Africa WC 2023
>
>Big Upset after Afghanistan beat defending Champion England a couple of
>days ago.

Yes, an even bigger upset when you compare the relative strength of the
Afghanistan and Dutch sides. Well done the men in orange! It's going to
make the match on Saturday between England and South Africa even more of
a crunch game, with both sides coming off shock defeats and both needing
to win if their chance of making the semis isn't to become close to
zero. (I know that if SA lose to England it will only be their second
defeat, but they still have India, NZ and Pakistan to play.)

>Did South Africa make a mistake by choosing to bowl first after winning
>the toss OR they just became complacent and lost.

Given that Netherlands fell to 140-7 off 33.5 overs in a match reduced
to 43 overs a side, it looks like bowling first was in theory the right
decision. There was no way that the Dutch should have scored another 105
runs off the last 9 overs and one ball while only losing one more
wicket, but the bowling fell apart.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: Another UPSET in WC2023 - Netherlands BEAT South Africa

<ugnr81$3fpvn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1198&group=rec.sport.cricket#1198

From: FBInCIAn...@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 22:42:25 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 05:42 UTC

On 10/17/2023 11:14 AM, John Hall wrote:
> In message <ugmfdo$3350l$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
> <FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes
>>

>> Netherlands vs South Africa WC 2023
>>
>> Big Upset after Afghanistan beat defending Champion England a couple
>> of days ago.
>
> Yes, an even bigger upset when you compare the relative strength of the
> Afghanistan and Dutch sides. Well done the men in orange! It's going to
> make the match on Saturday between England and South Africa even more of
> a crunch game, with both sides coming off shock defeats and both needing
> to win if their chance of making the semis isn't to become close to
> zero. (I know that if SA lose to England it will only be their second
> defeat, but they still have India, NZ and Pakistan to play.)
>

>> Did South Africa make a mistake by choosing to bowl first after
>> winning the toss OR they just became complacent and lost.
>
> Given that Netherlands fell to 140-7 off 33.5 overs in a match reduced
> to 43 overs a side, it looks like bowling first was in theory the right
> decision. There was no way that the Dutch should have scored another 105
> runs off the last 9 overs and one ball while only losing one more
> wicket, but the bowling fell apart.

But South Africa batting is so strong, shouldn't they have applied
themselves better and overhauled Netherlands 245?

South Africa scored 428 vs SL and 311 vs Australia which are much better
teams than Netherlands.

Bangladesh Chased down Afg with 158/4 in 30 overs and won on the same pitch.

England scored 364 on the same pitch vs Bangladesh

Dutch dudes played well though with more intensity than SA, it appeared.

Re: Another UPSET in WC2023 - Netherlands BEAT South Africa

<xwI8IaAr94LlFwTQ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1199&group=rec.sport.cricket#1199

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 08:55:23 +0100
 by: John Hall - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 07:55 UTC

In message <ugnr81$3fpvn$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
<FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes
>On 10/17/2023 11:14 AM, John Hall wrote:
<snip>
>> Given that Netherlands fell to 140-7 off 33.5 overs in a match
>>reduced to 43 overs a side, it looks like bowling first was in theory
>>the right decision. There was no way that the Dutch should have
>>scored another 105 runs off the last 9 overs and one ball while only
>>losing one more wicket, but the bowling fell apart.
>

>But South Africa batting is so strong, shouldn't they have applied
>themselves better and overhauled Netherlands 245?

Yes, they probably should have done. There was an interesting stat on
ESPN showing that in recent years SA have had a very poor record when
chasing in ODIs, only winning a third of those mmatches, so perhaps that
ought to have influenced them to bat first.

>South Africa scored 428 vs SL and 311 vs Australia which are much
>better teams than Netherlands.
>

>Bangladesh Chased down Afg with 158/4 in 30 overs and won on the same pitch.
>

>England scored 364 on the same pitch vs Bangladesh
>

>Dutch dudes played well though with more intensity than SA, it appeared.

Yep.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Another UPSET in WC2023 - Netherlands BEAT South Africa

<3bef5a0d-2b27-4929-abfa-ffec8136fc93n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1200&group=rec.sport.cricket#1200

Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 04:14:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Wed, 18 Oct 2023 11:14 UTC

On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 7:18:37 PM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <ugmfdo$3350l$1...@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
> <FBInCIAnNSATe...@america.com> writes
> >

> >Netherlands vs South Africa WC 2023
> >
> >Big Upset after Afghanistan beat defending Champion England a couple of
> >days ago.
> Yes, an even bigger upset when you compare the relative strength of the
> Afghanistan and Dutch sides. Well done the men in orange! It's going to
> make the match on Saturday between England and South Africa even more of
> a crunch game, with both sides coming off shock defeats and both needing
> to win if their chance of making the semis isn't to become close to
> zero. (I know that if SA lose to England it will only be their second
> defeat, but they still have India, NZ and Pakistan to play.)
> >
> >Did South Africa make a mistake by choosing to bowl first after winning
> >the toss OR they just became complacent and lost.
> Given that Netherlands fell to 140-7 off 33.5 overs in a match reduced
> to 43 overs a side, it looks like bowling first was in theory the right
> decision. There was no way that the Dutch should have scored another 105
> runs off the last 9 overs and one ball while only losing one more
> wicket, but the bowling fell apart.
> --
> John Hall
> "Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
> from coughing."
> Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

There is a fitting side to the Dutch success at cricket. The Dutch were the closest to England as administers of an empire and the evolution of having some system of political representation .

Hmmmm...I wonder if we are going to have get use to the likes of France v Germany and Spain v Portugal? RH

Re: Another UPSET in WC2023 - Netherlands BEAT South Africa

<ded4452a-3016-4fa1-8132-759ec8ce1793n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1223&group=rec.sport.cricket#1223

Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 22:24:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: anshkhan...@gmail.com (ansh khandelwal)
 by: ansh khandelwal - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 05:24 UTC