From: stevehag...@gmail.com (Steve Hague)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Subject: Psst! Don't mention Afghanistan.
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 10:21:17 +0100
 by: Steve Hague - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:21 UTC

So what went wrong? I suspect England were overconfident, and
underestimated the Afghans.

Re: Psst! Don't mention Afghanistan.

<kH6u3rB1plLlFwDd@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1194&group=rec.sport.cricket#1194

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Psst! Don't mention Afghanistan.
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 10:57:09 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:57 UTC

In message <ugljmc$2sc3r$1@dont-email.me>, Steve Hague
<stevehague82@gmail.com> writes
>So what went wrong? I suspect England were overconfident, and
>underestimated the Afghans.

It could have been that, but the tentative way they played suggested
rather a strange LACK of confidence. I wonder if they've been missing
the machismo of Stokes and Roy. Most of the current eleven - with the
most notable exception of Bairstow - seem more the shy and retiring
type. Even in the 2019 World Cup, England wobbled badly when Roy was out
of the side through injury.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: Psst! Don't mention Afghanistan.

<c45a1211-9a6e-4553-97d6-2c63e252a26fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1204&group=rec.sport.cricket#1204

Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 14:27:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 21:27 UTC

On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 10:59:22 AM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <ugljmc$2sc3r$1...@dont-email.me>, Steve Hague
> <steveh...@gmail.com> writes
> >So what went wrong? I suspect England were overconfident, and
> >underestimated the Afghans.
> It could have been that, but the tentative way they played suggested
> rather a strange LACK of confidence. I wonder if they've been missing
> the machismo of Stokes and Roy. Most of the current eleven - with the
> most notable exception of Bairstow - seem more the shy and retiring
> type. Even in the 2019 World Cup, England wobbled badly when Roy was out
> of the side through injury.
> --

England are missing Archer from the 2019 bunch and it was only back
in february that he took 6-40 against RSA, but how effective he would be
in India even if he was fit is unknown. But you are right, under Buttler
they do seem a bit tame, which is surprsing given that they won the t20
just a year ago. And when interviewd all Mr B could offer was that he
hoped things would be different and they could restart their campaign.

Perhaps the Messiah will play, but if so they have to leave out Brook
which seems daft since he was the only 1 who made any runs in the last.
The pitch at Mumble is usually a belter so I fear for our bowlers after
the hiding WOakes and Curran got last time.

mike

Re: Psst! Don't mention Afghanistan.

<thc7jipqhacuivb2ir1na2of9cpahg5i41@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1205&group=rec.sport.cricket#1205

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 12:15:50 +0100
 by: max.it - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 11:15 UTC

On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 14:27:01 -0700 (PDT), mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Tuesday, October 17, 2023 at 10:59:22?AM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <ugljmc$2sc3r$1...@dont-email.me>, Steve Hague
>> <steveh...@gmail.com> writes
>> >So what went wrong? I suspect England were overconfident, and
>> >underestimated the Afghans.
>> It could have been that, but the tentative way they played suggested
>> rather a strange LACK of confidence. I wonder if they've been missing
>> the machismo of Stokes and Roy. Most of the current eleven - with the
>> most notable exception of Bairstow - seem more the shy and retiring
>> type. Even in the 2019 World Cup, England wobbled badly when Roy was out
>> of the side through injury.
>> --
>
>England are missing Archer from the 2019 bunch and it was only back
>in february that he took 6-40 against RSA, but how effective he would be
>in India even if he was fit is unknown. But you are right, under Buttler
>they do seem a bit tame, which is surprsing given that they won the t20
>just a year ago. And when interviewd all Mr B could offer was that he
>hoped things would be different and they could restart their campaign.
>
>Perhaps the Messiah will play, but if so they have to leave out Brook
>which seems daft since he was the only 1 who made any runs in the last.
>The pitch at Mumble is usually a belter so I fear for our bowlers after
>the hiding WOakes and Curran got last time.
>
>mike

He hasn't bowled yet

max.it