From: FBInCIAn...@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket,aus.sport.cricket
Subject: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 06:44:35 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 13:44 UTC

Defending Champion England is set to lose to South Africa today.

SA amassed 399/7

England is 24/3 in 5.1 overs now.

From now England HAS TO WIN every one of their remaining matches
including vs stronger teams Australia, Pakistan and India to make the
Semis UNLESS other stronger teams in the top 5 fuck up their chances
which is UNLIKELY.

I think it is pretty much CURTAINS for England in this World Cup 2023.

England mightily disappointed in this ODI World Cup.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2023-24-1367856/england-vs-south-africa-20th-match-1384411/full-scorecard

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<PEKy2NCP9ANlFwny@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1209&group=rec.sport.cricket#1209

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket,aus.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 18:50:07 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 17:50 UTC

In message <uh0kk6$1pgh7$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
<FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes

>Defending Champion England is set to lose to South Africa today.
>
>SA amassed 399/7
>
>England is 24/3 in 5.1 overs now.
>
>From now England HAS TO WIN every one of their remaining matches
>including vs stronger teams Australia, Pakistan and India to make the
>Semis UNLESS other stronger teams in the top 5 fuck up their chances
>which is UNLIKELY.
>
>I think it is pretty much CURTAINS for England in this World Cup 2023.
>
>England mightily disappointed in this ODI World Cup.
>

>https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2023-24-136785
>6/england-vs-south-africa-20th-match-1384411/full-scorecard

I can't disagree with any of that. Our NRR is marginally better than
Afghanistan's at this point, which is all that keeps us from the bottom
of the table.

Yet another mistaken decision at the toss. Buttler did admit after the
match that, given how hot and humid it was, it might have been better to
bat first. Topley's injury and Willey's cramp late on didn't help, but
SA were so massively superior that probably none of that affected the
result. England played well for the first 6 overs of the match and the
last 8 or so when Wood and Atkinson had some fun, but in between they
were pretty poor, with the last 10 overs of SA's innings being a total
horror show.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<uh14fc$1ss3s$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1210&group=rec.sport.cricket#1210

From: FBInCIAn...@america.com (FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer)
Newsgroups: uk.sport.cricket,rec.sport.cricket,aus.sport.cricket
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 11:15:08 -0700
 by: FBInCIAnNSATerrorist - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 18:15 UTC

On 10/21/2023 10:50 AM, John Hall wrote:
> In message <uh0kk6$1pgh7$1@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
> <FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer@america.com> writes
>>
>> Defending Champion England is set to lose to South Africa today.
>>
>> SA amassed 399/7
>>
>> England is 24/3 in 5.1 overs now.
>>
>> From now England HAS TO WIN every one of their remaining matches
>> including vs stronger teams Australia, Pakistan and India to make the
>> Semis UNLESS other stronger teams in the top 5 fuck up their chances
>> which is UNLIKELY.
>>
>> I think it is pretty much CURTAINS for England in this World Cup 2023.
>>
>> England mightily disappointed in this ODI World Cup.
>>

>> https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2023-24-136785
>> 6/england-vs-south-africa-20th-match-1384411/full-scorecard
>>

> I can't disagree with any of that. Our NRR is marginally better than
> Afghanistan's at this point, which is all that keeps us from the bottom
> of the table.
>
> Yet another mistaken decision at the toss. Buttler did admit after the
> match that, given how hot and humid it was, it might have been better to
> bat first. Topley's injury and Willey's cramp late on didn't help, but
> SA were so massively superior that probably none of that affected the
> result. England played well for the first 6 overs of the match and the
> last 8 or so when Wood and Atkinson had some fun, but in between they
> were pretty poor, with the last 10 overs of SA's innings being a total
> horror show.

I think Butler really fucked up with his decision to FIELD after winning
the toss.

It also APPEARS that England team management DIDN'T prepare well in
terms of tactics especially in a VERY CRUCIAL MUST WIN GAME for England
to stay in the semis race.

Butler chose to FIELD based on a sample of four matches and moreover he
DIDN'T EVEN CONSIDER the weather AS A FACTOR at all.

Columnist Matt Roller:

England were simply exhausted, and not for a lack of basic fitness. "It
certainly looked a bit like a warzone there at times," Mott said. The
problem stemmed from Buttler's choice to bowl first when he won the
toss, a decision he explained by saying: "[This is] generally a good
ground for chasing, so that's the reason behind it."

But like so many decisions England have made in this World Cup, the
explanation relied more on the past than the present and the future.
England wandered out to field at 2pm, when Mumbai's heat and humidity
were at their most oppressive. It was a simple recipe for disaster: 11
Englishmen, left in the pan for four hours until fried to a crisp.

The evidence underlying Buttler's assertion was scant. Chasing teams had
a 75% win record in men's ODIs at the Wankhede over the past decade, but
the sample size was all of four matches. There is a strong chasing bias
in the IPL, but the physical requirements of 90 minutes in the field in
the evening are hardly comparable to a full afternoon in the blazing sun.

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<b874c175-a4e7-4fcb-921e-0000644ab8d5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1214&group=rec.sport.cricket#1214

Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:25:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:25 UTC

On Saturday, October 21, 2023 at 6:53:34 PM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <uh0kk6$1pgh7$1...@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
> <FBInCIAnNSATe...@america.com> writes
> >
> >Defending Champion England is set to lose to South Africa today.
> >
> >SA amassed 399/7
> >
> >England is 24/3 in 5.1 overs now.
> >
> >From now England HAS TO WIN every one of their remaining matches
> >including vs stronger teams Australia, Pakistan and India to make the
> >Semis UNLESS other stronger teams in the top 5 fuck up their chances
> >which is UNLIKELY.
> >
> >I think it is pretty much CURTAINS for England in this World Cup 2023.
> >
> >England mightily disappointed in this ODI World Cup.
> >

> >https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2023-24-136785
> >6/england-vs-south-africa-20th-match-1384411/full-scorecard
> >

> I can't disagree with any of that. Our NRR is marginally better than
> Afghanistan's at this point, which is all that keeps us from the bottom
> of the table.
>
> Yet another mistaken decision at the toss. Buttler did admit after the
> match that, given how hot and humid it was, it might have been better to
> bat first.

theres a song only mad dogs and englishmen go out in the mid day sun.
Maybe it was past midday, but they certainly looked cooked by the end.
does buttler make these daft decisions on his own? i cant believe the
bolwers were queuing up shouting bowl first! I'm also surprised that
ali hasnt played in either of these last 2 games.

from world champions to whipping boys, its gonna be a tough
time for them. the rest will be waiting to stuff them for sure.

mike

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<3MN075ANPUNlFwgQ@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1215&group=rec.sport.cricket#1215

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 16:46:21 +0100
 by: John Hall - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 15:46 UTC

In message <b874c175-a4e7-4fcb-921e-0000644ab8d5n@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On Saturday, October 21, 2023 at 6:53:340 >> In message <uh0kk6$1pgh7$1...@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
>> <FBInCIAnNSATe...@america.com> writes
>> >
>> >Defending Champion England is set to lose to South Africa today.
>> >
>> >SA amassed 399/7
>> >
>> >England is 24/3 in 5.1 overs now.
>> >
>> >From now England HAS TO WIN every one of their remaining matches
>> >including vs stronger teams Australia, Pakistan and India to make the
>> >Semis UNLESS other stronger teams in the top 5 fuck up their chances
>> >which is UNLIKELY.
>> >
>> >I think it is pretty much CURTAINS for England in this World Cup 2023.
>> >
>> >England mightily disappointed in this ODI World Cup.
>> >

>> >https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2023-24-136785
>> >6/england-vs-south-africa-20th-match-1384411/full-scorecard
>> >

>> I can't disagree with any of that. Our NRR is marginally better than
>> Afghanistan's at this point, which is all that keeps us from the bottom
>> of the table.
>>
>> Yet another mistaken decision at the toss. Buttler did admit after the
>> match that, given how hot and humid it was, it might have been better to
>> bat first.
>
>theres a song only mad dogs and englishmen go out in the mid day sun.
>Maybe it was past midday, but they certainly looked cooked by the end.
>does buttler make these daft decisions on his own?

I imagine he would discuss it with Matthew Mott at the very least, and
perhaps with Moeen, Stokes and Root as well. None of them would have to
do any quick bowling, of course. It seems it was largely based on the
side batting second winning 75% of recent games at the venue, but that
was from a sample of just four games. I'm not even sure that they were
ODIs, and of course T20 games are very different.

> i cant believe the
>bolwers were queuing up shouting bowl first! I'm also surprised that
>ali hasnt played in either of these last 2 games.

In the game against Afghanistan, it seems they made a choice between him
and Livingstone. In the event, the pitch helped the spinners motre than
they anticipated, and they could have done with both of them. For the SA
game, it seems they decided to go with a pace-heavy attack, as the pitch
had some pace and bounce and didn't seem likely to assist the spinners
much. It meant that they had a short batting line-up, with Willey coming
in at 7. If he HAD played, then Atkinson might have been the one to miss
out, which wouldn't have been ideal. With a crystal ball, Moeen or
Livingstone would have played instead of Wood.

>from world champions to whipping boys, its gonna be a tough
>time for them. the rest will be waiting to stuff them for sure.

Indeed. They need to win all five remaining matches to have a good
chance of qualifying. Topley's broken finger doesn't help, as he's
looked their best pace bowler. They should beat SL and the Netherlands,
though even that is not guaranteed, but India, Australia and Pakistan
will be tough.

ATM, the four semi-finalists look likely to be India, NZ, SA and either
Australia or Pakistan.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<d1143b72-7ccb-4ef4-8c1f-4060038b1ad1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1216&group=rec.sport.cricket#1216

Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 13:04:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 20:04 UTC

On Sunday, October 22, 2023 at 4:48:12 PM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <b874c175-a4e7-4fcb...@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >On Saturday, October 21, 2023 at 6:53:340 >> In message <uh0kk6$1pgh7$1....@dont-email.me>, FBInCIAnNSATerroristSlayer
> >> <FBInCIAnNSATe...@america.com> writes

> >> I can't disagree with any of that. Our NRR is marginally better than
> >> Afghanistan's at this point, which is all that keeps us from the bottom
> >> of the table.
> >>
> >> Yet another mistaken decision at the toss. Buttler did admit after the
> >> match that, given how hot and humid it was, it might have been better to
> >> bat first.
> >
> >theres a song only mad dogs and englishmen go out in the mid day sun.
> >Maybe it was past midday, but they certainly looked cooked by the end.
> >does buttler make these daft decisions on his own?
> I imagine he would discuss it with Matthew Mott at the very least, and
> perhaps with Moeen, Stokes and Root as well. None of them would have to
> do any quick bowling, of course. It seems it was largely based on the
> side batting second winning 75% of recent games at the venue, but that
> was from a sample of just four games. I'm not even sure that they were
> ODIs, and of course T20 games are very different.
> > i cant believe the
> >bolwers were queuing up shouting bowl first! I'm also surprised that
> >ali hasnt played in either of these last 2 games.
> In the game against Afghanistan, it seems they made a choice between him
> and Livingstone. In the event, the pitch helped the spinners motre than
> they anticipated, and they could have done with both of them. For the SA
> game, it seems they decided to go with a pace-heavy attack, as the pitch
> had some pace and bounce and didn't seem likely to assist the spinners
> much. It meant that they had a short batting line-up, with Willey coming
> in at 7. If he HAD played, then Atkinson might have been the one to miss
> out, which wouldn't have been ideal. With a crystal ball, Moeen or
> Livingstone would have played instead of Wood.
> >
> >from world champions to whipping boys, its gonna be a tough
> >time for them. the rest will be waiting to stuff them for sure.
> Indeed. They need to win all five remaining matches to have a good
> chance of qualifying. Topley's broken finger doesn't help, as he's
> looked their best pace bowler. They should beat SL and the Netherlands,
> though even that is not guaranteed, but India, Australia and Pakistan
> will be tough.

if they keep fielding first theyll find it tough to beat anyone, although i
dont expect it be quite as hot and humid in bangelore

> ATM, the four semi-finalists look likely to be India, NZ, SA and either
> Australia or Pakistan.

yep, but afghans beating pakistan, which for me seems more of a surprise
than beating england in india, has given Oz a better chance, especially
if they pulverise the dutch and raise their NRR which acts like an extra point.

mike

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<FIGv5hDOXtNlFw23@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1217&group=rec.sport.cricket#1217

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:21:34 +0100
 by: John Hall - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 20:21 UTC

In message <d1143b72-7ccb-4ef4-8c1f-4060038b1ad1n@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On Sunday, October 22, 2023 at 4:48:120 <big snip>
>>
>> ATM, the four semi-finalists look likely to be India, NZ, SA and either
>> Australia or Pakistan.
>
>yep, but afghans beating pakistan, which for me seems more of a surprise
>than beating england in india, has given Oz a better chance, especially
>if they pulverise the dutch and raise their NRR which acts like an extra point.
>
>mike

Yep. And it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Afghanistan
could sneak into the top four. Their next two matches are against SL and
the Netherlands, both of which they are in with a good chance of
winning. If they do, they'll be feeling very confident. They will
probably need to win both of their last two games, against Australia and
SA, though, which is a very long shot. Still, the Dutch have already
beaten SA, so who knows?
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<77ee4642-bf81-4d07-beac-258b70385a04n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1218&group=rec.sport.cricket#1218

Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 14:59:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Mon, 23 Oct 2023 21:59 UTC

On Monday, October 23, 2023 at 9:30:04 PM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <d1143b72-7ccb-4ef4...@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >On Sunday, October 22, 2023 at 4:48:120 <big snip>
> >>
> >> ATM, the four semi-finalists look likely to be India, NZ, SA and either
> >> Australia or Pakistan.
> >
> >yep, but afghans beating pakistan, which for me seems more of a surprise
> >than beating england in india, has given Oz a better chance, especially
> >if they pulverise the dutch and raise their NRR which acts like an extra point.
> >
> >mike
> >
> Yep. And it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Afghanistan
> could sneak into the top four. Their next two matches are against SL and
> the Netherlands, both of which they are in with a good chance of
> winning. If they do, they'll be feeling very confident. They will
> probably need to win both of their last two games, against Australia and
> SA, though, which is a very long shot. Still, the Dutch have already
> beaten SA, so who knows?

this is why i like this format! the matches themselves may be 1 sided but
theres still everything to play for. probably the Dutch SL bangles and england
are now too far behind the rest and england have got so muddled by stats, theyve
lost all common sense it seems. Now Topleys out, theyve sent for Carse,
but Archer is in india with them i read, but presumably not fit; but why have
a reserve who is unfit? why not have carse with them instead?

mike

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<8NQxYkAXf4NlFwhV@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1221&group=rec.sport.cricket#1221

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2023 10:01:11 +0100
 by: John Hall - Tue, 24 Oct 2023 09:01 UTC

In message <77ee4642-bf81-4d07-beac-258b70385a04n@googlegroups.com>,
mike <dmike204@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>On Monday, October 23, 2023 at 9:30:040 >> In message <d1143b72-7ccb-4ef4...@googlegroups.com>,
>> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>> >On Sunday, October 22, 2023 at 4:48:120 <big snip>

>> >yep, but afghans beating pakistan, which for me seems more of a surprise
>> >than beating england in india, has given Oz a better chance, especially
>> >if they pulverise the dutch and raise their NRR which acts like an
>> >extra point.
>> >
>> >mike
>> >
>> Yep. And it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Afghanistan
>> could sneak into the top four. Their next two matches are against SL and
>> the Netherlands, both of which they are in with a good chance of
>> winning. If they do, they'll be feeling very confident. They will
>> probably need to win both of their last two games, against Australia and
>> SA, though, which is a very long shot. Still, the Dutch have already
>> beaten SA, so who knows?
>
>this is why i like this format! the matches themselves may be 1 sided but
>theres still everything to play for. probably the Dutch SL bangles and england
>are now too far behind the rest

Afghanistan must regret being beaten by the Bangles. It was always
likely that they would lose to India and NZ, but had they won against
Bangladesh they would now have 3 wins and 2 defeats rather than the
other way around, and would have been in with a real chance of making
the semis.

> and england have got so muddled by stats, theyve
>lost all common sense it seems. Now Topleys out, theyve sent for Carse,
>but Archer is in india with them i read, but presumably not fit; but why have
>a reserve who is unfit? why not have carse with them instead?
>
>mike

It does seem odd. Presumably they thought they could keep a better eye
on his rehab work if he was with them. Or maybe they were clinging to
the hope that he would improve enough over the first couple of weeks in
India to come into contention. Apparently he's now gone home.

It will be tough for Carse to quickly adapt to Indian conditions, and
he'll no doubt be fit but not match fit.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people
from coughing."
Sir Ralph Richardson (1902-83)

Re: Defending Champion England is mighty disappointing in this WC2023

<3d5e25fd-e658-4865-8bd9-9deeae2ce3bfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1225&group=rec.sport.cricket#1225

Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2023 08:45:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: dmike...@yahoo.co.uk (mike)
 by: mike - Wed, 25 Oct 2023 15:45 UTC

On Tuesday, October 24, 2023 at 10:06:59 AM UTC+1, John Hall wrote:
> In message <77ee4642-bf81-4d07...@googlegroups.com>,
> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >On Monday, October 23, 2023 at 9:30:040 >> In message <d1143b72-7ccb-4ef4...@googlegroups.com>,
> >> mike <dmik...@yahoo.co.uk> writes

well they certainly did just that. I thought the top 4 would be India, Oz,NZ and RSA,
although theres still enough matches left for some surprises. And lewis,s record finally
falls to Leede, mainly due to the mighty maxwell, and that was quite a shout.

mike