So I'm ugly. So what? I never saw anyone hit with his face. -- Yogi Berra

sport / rec.sport.cricket / Re: PC World - Warner Stand at Lord's may be renamed owing to slavery links

SubjectAuthor
* PC World - Warner Stand at Lord's may be renamed owing to slavery linksRobert Henderson
`* Re: PC World - Warner Stand at Lord's may be renamed owing to slavery linksJohn Hall
 `- Re: PC World - Warner Stand at Lord's may be renamed owing to slavery linksRobert Henderson

1
PC World - Warner Stand at Lord's may be renamed owing to slavery links

<788b69a0-ed55-4ba8-9db4-f45c5db7da0an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1230&group=rec.sport.cricket#1230

Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 10:22:12 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: PC World - Warner Stand at Lord's may be renamed owing to slavery links
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 17:22 UTC

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/11/01/mcc-considers-renaming-lords-warner-stand-slavery-links/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr

Warner Stand at Lord's may be renamed owing to slavery links
Exclusive: MCC conscious that Warner's family made money from Caribbean plantations, though Pelham Warner was born long after abolition

ByNick Hoult, CHIEF CRICKET CORRESPONDENT
1 November 2023 • 10:59am
Sir Pelham Warner
Sir Pelham Warner's association with MCC spanned almost 70 years and is commemorated with the stand in his name
The Warner Stand at Lord’s could be renamed owing to Sir Pelham Warner’s historic links to slavery as MCC reacts to a damning report into discrimination in cricket.

Bruce Carnegie-Brown, the MCC chairman, said in an exclusive interview with Telegraph Sport that the naming of the Warner stand is something the club “ought to keep under review” and that links to the slave trade are a “live” challenge which organisations have to be “very thoughtful” about.

“It’s something I’d like to take away and for us to keep under review as a club. Seeing Stuart Broad have a stand named after him at Trent Bridge shows the merit of connecting younger audiences to some of the current greats,” he said.

Warner, who died in 1963, was known as the Grand Old Man of English Cricket and his association with the club spanned almost 70 years. He played 15 Tests for England, served as chairman of selectors and managed the Bodyline tour of 1932-33.

The Warner Stand has stood at Lord’s since 1958. The current building was revamped at a cost of £25 million and reopened in 2017 by Prince Philip. It hosts a restaurant called Pelham’s, with sweeping views of the playing area.
[...]

Read more at https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/11/01/mcc-considers-renaming-lords-warner-stand-slavery-links/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr

RH

Re: PC World - Warner Stand at Lord's may be renamed owing to slavery links

<vBR789B7VpQlFwb9@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1231&group=rec.sport.cricket#1231

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 18:14:19 +0000
 by: John Hall - Wed, 1 Nov 2023 18:14 UTC

In message <788b69a0-ed55-4ba8-9db4-f45c5db7da0an@googlegroups.com>,
Robert Henderson <anywhere156@gmail.com> writes
>https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/11/01/mcc-considers-renaming-lo
>rds-warner-stand-slavery-links/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr
>
>Warner Stand at Lord's may be renamed owing to slavery links
>Exclusive: MCC conscious that Warner's family made money from Caribbean
>plantations, though Pelham Warner was born long after abolition
<snip>

That does seem daft. You can't choose who your ancestors were. There
might be valid reasons for renaming the stand, but that isn't one of
them.
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: PC World - Warner Stand at Lord's may be renamed owing to slavery links

<766bb9e7-8b59-4763-80da-49c00db0b79bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1232&group=rec.sport.cricket#1232

Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 01:00:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: anywhere...@gmail.com (Robert Henderson)
 by: Robert Henderson - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 08:00 UTC

On Wednesday, November 1, 2023 at 6:24:03 PM UTC, John Hall wrote:
> In message <788b69a0-ed55-4ba8...@googlegroups.com>,
> Robert Henderson <anywh...@gmail.com> writes
> >https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/11/01/mcc-considers-renaming-lo
> >rds-warner-stand-slavery-links/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr
> >
> >Warner Stand at Lord's may be renamed owing to slavery links
> >Exclusive: MCC conscious that Warner's family made money from Caribbean
> >plantations, though Pelham Warner was born long after abolition
> <snip>
>
> That does seem daft. You can't choose who your ancestors were. There
> might be valid reasons for renaming the stand, but that isn't one of
> them.
> --
> John Hall )

That's pc at full blast , John. slavery was abolished throughout the Empire in 1834 Slavery Abolition Act, (1833), in British history, act of Parliament that abolished slavery in most British colonies, freeing more than 800,000 enslaved Africans in the Caribbean and South Africa as well as a small number in Canada. It received Royal Assent on August 28, 1833, and took effect on August 1, 1834.

Taking 20 years to be a generation between 1834 and today ( 187 years ) that gives roughly 9 generations.

The largest group of deprived people in any society is of course the poor. RH