From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: List of Australian, Kiwi, British or South African international players who could have imagined playing for their ancestral country as associate members:
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 18:41:36 +0000
 by: max.it - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 18:41 UTC

On Fri, 1 Dec 2023 21:16:56 -0800 (PST), Ahsanur R
<rashidman10@gmail.com> wrote:

>Jason Gillespie - Greece

How did he manage to have an Irish, or Ulster / Scots name?

max.it

Re: List of Australian, Kiwi, British or South African international players who could have imagined playing for their ancestral country as associate members:

<ZU2XlBBTGPblFwFM@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1248&group=rec.sport.cricket#1248

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2023 21:22:27 +0000
 by: John Hall - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 21:22 UTC

In message <bsipmihdrtl836aiphika64697tf9kn370@4ax.com>, max. it
<max@tea.time> writes
>On Fri, 1 Dec 2023 21:16:56 -0800 (PST), Ahsanur R
><rashidman10@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Jason Gillespie - Greece
>
>How did he manage to have an Irish, or Ulster / Scots name?
>

>max.it

According to Wikipedia:

"Jason Gillespie is a descendant on his father's side of the Kamilaroi
people of Indigenous Australians, and is the first acknowledged
Aboriginal male to become a Test cricketer. His mother has Greek
heritage and Jason is the eldest of the three children."

Which doesn't clear up the surname "Gillespie". I imagine that at some
point a few generations back, Australian bureaucrats probably decided
that all of the aboriginal people must have a surname and, whether by
the person's choice or at the whim of one of those bureaucrats, his
ancestor acquired the name "Gillespie".
--
John Hall
"Acting is merely the art of keeping a large group of people

Re: List of Australian, Kiwi, British or South African international players who could have imagined playing for their ancestral country as associate members:

<r82qmid874e5n0evovrevop238k8bhlkdn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1249&group=rec.sport.cricket#1249

From: max...@tea.time (max.it)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2023 23:14:50 +0000
 by: max.it - Sun, 3 Dec 2023 23:14 UTC

On Sun, 3 Dec 2023 21:22:27 +0000, John Hall <john_nospam@jhall.co.uk>
wrote:

>In message <bsipmihdrtl836aiphika64697tf9kn370@4ax.com>, max. it
><max@tea.time> writes
>>On Fri, 1 Dec 2023 21:16:56 -0800 (PST), Ahsanur R
>><rashidman10@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Jason Gillespie - Greece
>>
>>How did he manage to have an Irish, or Ulster / Scots name?
>>

>>max.it
>
>According to Wikipedia:
>
>"Jason Gillespie is a descendant on his father's side of the Kamilaroi
>people of Indigenous Australians, and is the first acknowledged
>Aboriginal male to become a Test cricketer. His mother has Greek
>heritage and Jason is the eldest of the three children."
>
>Which doesn't clear up the surname "Gillespie". I imagine that at some
>point a few generations back, Australian bureaucrats probably decided
>that all of the aboriginal people must have a surname and, whether by
>the person's choice or at the whim of one of those bureaucrats, his
>ancestor acquired the name "Gillespie".

It's a very common name around here. I think it means servant of a
priest or bishop or something.
It's been claimed that McAnespie means son of the bishop but more
likely means son of the servant of the bishop.

max.it