Ever feel like life was a game and you had the wrong instruction book?

sport / rec.autos.sport.f1 / Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question Monza’s future

SubjectAuthor
* F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question Monzaa425couple
+* Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question MonNews
|`- Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question Mongeoff
+- Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, questionalister
`* Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question MoXYXPDQ
 `* Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, questionalister
  `* Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question Mon~misfit~
   +- Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question Motexas gate
   +* Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question MonzaPhil Carmody
   |`- Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question MonDarryl Johnson
   `- Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question Mongeoff

1
F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question Monza’s future

<s340J.3906$7U3.3046@fx24.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=12861&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#12861

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Subject: F1_bosses_disappointed_with_turnout,_question_Monza
’s future
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 09:27:05 -0700
 by: a425couple - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 16:27 UTC

from
https://www.planetf1.com/news/f1-bosses-question-monzas-future/

F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question Monza’s future
Date published: September 14 2021 - Michelle Foster

Max Verstappen drives by the grandstands. Italy September 2021

Failing to attract big crowds to the race, despite it being Ferrari’s
home event, F1 bosses admit the Italian GP’s place on the grid is not
guaranteed.

Formula 1 was back at Monza this past weekend, the circuit playing host
to the Italian Grand Prix.

Daniel Ricciardo clinched the victory ahead of Lando Norris as Max
Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton crashed out.

The Autodromo Nazionale di Monza, to give it its full name, has been on
the calendar since the very beginning of the Formula 1 World
Championship back in 1950, only relinquishing the race in 1980 to Imola.

The ‘Temple of Speed’ is a favourite amongst the driver but, for various
reasons, attendance numbers have fallen in recent years.

This year ticket sales were lower than expected with just 16,000 sold
for race day.

High ticket prices, poor promotion and doing away with grass seating are
believed to be the main causes although one cannot discount the Ferrari
effect with the Scuderia struggling, having not won a Drivers’ title
since 2007.

It begs the question whether Monza has a future on the Formula 1 calendar.

FIA president, and former Ferrari team boss, Jean Todt says he is unsure.

Charles Leclerc with Monza fans. Italy September 2021.

Check all the latest 2021 teamwear via the official Formula 1 store

“Why so little public in Monza? During Friday’s qualifying I was
disappointed looking at the stands,” Todt told Gazzetta dello Sport.

“I would be disappointed if there wasn’t at least one race in Italy on
the Formula 1 calendar for the next few years.

“But it is a question to ask Stefano Domenicali.”

Domenicali’s answer wasn’t very encouraging.

“We are discussing with the organisers precisely to understand how to
relaunch the grand prix,” said the Formula 1 CEO and former Ferrari team.

“I find it hard to think of an F1 without Monza, but events are also
business and there must be an economic return that justifies them.”

Monza is certain of its Formula 1 future until the end of 2024 having
signed a new five-year contract back in 2019.

Speaking at the time, then F1 chief Chase Carey said: “This is one of
four grands prix that were part of the 1950 championship and still
features in the calendar and along with the British Grand Prix, it is
the only one to have been held every year since then.

“History, speed and passion are words that motorsport fans associate
with Monza.”

That association may not be enough to save Monza unless fans start
attending the grand prix.

Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question Monza’s future

<shqikh$55a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=12862&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#12862

From: New...@Group.Name (News)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Subject: Re:_F1_bosses_disappointed_with_turnout,_question_Mon
za’s_future
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 12:29:05 -0400
 by: News - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 16:29 UTC

On 9/14/2021 12:27 PM, a425couple wrote:
> from
> https://www.planetf1.com/news/f1-bosses-question-monzas-future/
>
> F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question Monza’s future
> Date published: September 14 2021 - Michelle Foster
>
> Max Verstappen drives by the grandstands. Italy September 2021
>
> Failing to attract big crowds to the race, despite it being Ferrari’s
> home event, F1 bosses admit the Italian GP’s place on the grid is not
> guaranteed.
>
> Formula 1 was back at Monza this past weekend, the circuit playing host
> to the Italian Grand Prix.
>
> Daniel Ricciardo clinched the victory ahead of Lando Norris as Max
> Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton crashed out.
>
> The Autodromo Nazionale di Monza, to give it its full name, has been on
> the calendar since the very beginning of the Formula 1 World
> Championship back in 1950, only relinquishing the race in 1980 to Imola.
>
> The ‘Temple of Speed’ is a favourite amongst the driver but, for various
> reasons, attendance numbers have fallen in recent years.
>
> This year ticket sales were lower than expected with just 16,000 sold
> for race day.
>
> High ticket prices, poor promotion and doing away with grass seating are
> believed to be the main causes although one cannot discount the Ferrari
> effect with the Scuderia struggling, having not won a Drivers’ title
> since 2007.
>
> It begs the question whether Monza has a future on the Formula 1 calendar.
>
> FIA president, and former Ferrari team boss, Jean Todt says he is unsure.
>
> Charles Leclerc with Monza fans. Italy September 2021.
>
> Check all the latest 2021 teamwear via the official Formula 1 store
>
> “Why so little public in Monza? During Friday’s qualifying I was
> disappointed looking at the stands,” Todt told Gazzetta dello Sport.
>
> “I would be disappointed if there wasn’t at least one race in Italy on
> the Formula 1 calendar for the next few years.
>
> “But it is a question to ask Stefano Domenicali.”
>
> Domenicali’s answer wasn’t very encouraging.
>
> “We are discussing with the organisers precisely to understand how to
> relaunch the grand prix,” said the Formula 1 CEO and former Ferrari team.
>
> “I find it hard to think of an F1 without Monza, but events are also
> business and there must be an economic return that justifies them.”
>
> Monza is certain of its Formula 1 future until the end of 2024 having
> signed a new five-year contract back in 2019.
>
> Speaking at the time, then F1 chief Chase Carey said: “This is one of
> four grands prix that were part of the 1950 championship and still
> features in the calendar and along with the British Grand Prix, it is
> the only one to have been held every year since then.
>
> “History, speed and passion are words that motorsport fans associate
> with Monza.”
>
> That association may not be enough to save Monza unless fans start
> attending the grand prix.

It's not Monza, it's the 'racing', such as it is.

Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question Monza’s future

<shqj3m$ona$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=12863&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#12863

From: alister....@ntlworld.com (alister)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Subject: Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question
Monza’s future
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 16:37:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: alister - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 16:37 UTC

We are in the middle of a plauge ffs!

--
<MFGolfBal> rit/ara: There's somethting really demented about UNIX
underwear...

Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question Monza’s future

<c5813bce-209f-447e-96dc-923cc8e1f11dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=12864&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#12864

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 10:18:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_F1_bosses_disappointed_with_turnout,_question_Mo
nza’s_future
From: qwrtz...@gmail.com (XYXPDQ)
 by: XYXPDQ - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 17:18 UTC

Surprised that many showed with the "delta" paranoia.

Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question Monza’s future

<shqonl$as$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=12865&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#12865

From: alister....@ntlworld.com (alister)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Monza’s future
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:13:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: alister - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:13 UTC

On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 10:18:56 -0700, XYXPDQ wrote:

> Surprised that many showed with the "delta" paranoia.

i guess the Italians have more sense than some

--
Frankfort, Kentucky, makes it against the law to shoot off a policeman's
tie.

Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question Monza’s future

<ePadnbq0VsbepNz8nZ2dnUU7-cmdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=12876&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#12876

Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 12:07:30 +1200
za’s_future
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 00:07 UTC

On 15/09/2021 4:29 am, News wrote:
> [...]
>> relaunch the grand prix,” said the Formula 1 CEO and former Ferrari team.
>>
>> “I find it hard to think of an F1 without Monza, but events are also
>> business and there must be an economic return that justifies them.”
>>
>> Monza is certain of its Formula 1 future until the end of 2024 having
>> signed a new five-year contract back in 2019.
>>
>> Speaking at the time, then F1 chief Chase Carey said: “This is one of
>> four grands prix that were part of the 1950 championship and still
>> features in the calendar and along with the British Grand Prix, it is
>> the only one to have been held every year since then.
>>
>> “History, speed and passion are words that motorsport fans associate
>> with Monza.”
>>
>> That association may not be enough to save Monza unless fans start
>> attending the grand prix.
>>

> It's not Monza, it's the 'racing', such as it is.

And maybe the huge number of Covid deaths early on in Italy may have
encouraged watching broadcast.

geoff

Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question Monza’s future

<shrsbl$v3l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=12877&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#12877

From: shaun.at...@gmail.com (~misfit~)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
za’s_future
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 16:21:09 +1200
 by: ~misfit~ - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 04:21 UTC

On 15/09/2021 6:13 am, alister wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 10:18:56 -0700, XYXPDQ wrote:
>
>> Surprised that many showed with the "delta" paranoia.
>
> i guess the Italians have more sense than some

Yep. They did get hit hard by Covid-19 early on. Maybe it killed a bunch of the hard-core tifosi?

Also perhaps they, like me, aren't keen on supporting a team that keeps on cheating...
--
Shaun.

in the DSM"
David Melville

Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question Monza’s future

<8620cf3f-2aa0-4c9b-a787-86a0f902380an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=12879&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#12879

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 06:59:11 -0700 (PDT)
nza’s_future
From: texasg...@gmail.com (texas gate)
 by: texas gate - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 13:59 UTC

On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 10:21:11 PM UTC-6, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Also perhaps they, like me, aren't keen on supporting a team that keeps on cheating...

This from a thief that pirates sky f1.

Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question Monza’s future

<87pmt9ehm6.fsf@zotaspaz.fatphil.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=12881&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#12881

From: pc+use...@asdf.org (Phil Carmody)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
’s future
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 22:58:09 +0300
sha1:PTpb9pc4OKLw/Y9RcsHUWy7+uN8=
 by: Phil Carmody - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 19:58 UTC

~misfit~ <shaun.at.pukekohe@gmail.com> writes:
> On 15/09/2021 6:13 am, alister wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 10:18:56 -0700, XYXPDQ wrote:
>>
>>> Surprised that many showed with the "delta" paranoia.
>>
>> i guess the Italians have more sense than some
>
> Yep. They did get hit hard by Covid-19 early on. Maybe it killed a
> bunch of the hard-core tifosi?
>
> Also perhaps they, like me, aren't keen on supporting a team that
> keeps on cheating...

That's a positive spin. I was thinking that they're so fucking shallow
that they're only fans when their team's winning.

Phil
--
We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast

Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question Monza’s future

<shtkv2$mu0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=12882&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#12882

From: darryl_j...@rogers.com (Darryl Johnson)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
za’s_future
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 16:27:20 -0400
 by: Darryl Johnson - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 20:27 UTC

On 2021-09-15 3:58 PM, Phil Carmody wrote:
> ~misfit~ <shaun.at.pukekohe@gmail.com> writes:

>>> i guess the Italians have more sense than some
>>
>> Yep. They did get hit hard by Covid-19 early on. Maybe it killed a
>> bunch of the hard-core tifosi?
>>
>> Also perhaps they, like me, aren't keen on supporting a team that
>> keeps on cheating...
>
> That's a positive spin. I was thinking that they're so fucking shallow
> that they're only fans when their team's winning.
>
> Phil

Sadly, there are a significant number of people who are only fans when
their team is winning. Or when "their" driver is no longer competitive
(or even driving). Look at how German support dropped off when Michael
was no longer racing.

Although, in the case of this year's Monza, I suspect the on again/off
again schedule deterred some fans from booking tickets, travel and
accommodations.

Re: F1 bosses disappointed with turnout, question Monza’s future

<UZqdneh9StUK_d_8nZ2dnUU7-KOdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=12883&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#12883

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 09:07:33 +1200
za’s_future
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
From: geo...@nospamgeoffwood.org (geoff)
 by: geoff - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 21:07 UTC

On 15/09/2021 4:21 pm, ~misfit~ wrote:
> On 15/09/2021 6:13 am, alister wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 10:18:56 -0700, XYXPDQ wrote:
>>
>>> Surprised that many showed with the "delta" paranoia.
>>
>> i guess the Italians have more sense than some
>
> Yep. They did get hit hard by Covid-19 early on. Maybe it killed a bunch
> of the hard-core tifosi?
>
> Also perhaps they, like me, aren't keen on supporting a team that keeps
> on cheating...

I'd have thought that that would have been an *attraction*.

geoff