I would rather say that a desire to drive fast sports cars is what sets man apart from the animals.

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys / NFL EPA Statistic?

SubjectAuthor
* NFL EPA Statistic?observer
`* Re: NFL EPA Statistic?observer
 `* Re: NFL EPA Statistic?Eddie Grove
  `- Re: NFL EPA Statistic?observer

1
NFL EPA Statistic?

<d8169ed0-cfa3-4bcf-8dc3-db63db279412n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1373&group=alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys#1373

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 19:04:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: NFL EPA Statistic?
From: prohuman...@gmail.com (observer)
 by: observer - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 02:04 UTC

The following article, it used an EPA statistic
I was unfamiliar with until checking it out at
https://www.bing.com/search?q=EPA%20NFL%20statistic&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=epa%20nfl%20statistic&sc=1-17&sk=&cvid=E802096ACDD2443099FB971986E4B518

Expected Points Added (EPA) is a football statistic
that seeks to measure the value of individual plays
in terms of points. This is done by calculating the
Expected Points (EP) of the down, distance, & field
position situation at the start of a play and contrast-
ing it with the situation at the end of the play.

---
October 2 2021

Looking at the Dallas Cowboys remaining schedule
by offensive and defensive EPA disparity at Week 4
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/looking-at-the-dallas-cowboys-remaining-schedule-by-offensive-and-defensive-epa-disparity-at-week-4/ar-AAP4p5L?ocid=BingNewsSearch

The following graphics, maybe after a good night's
sleep I'll grasp what's being communicated, but right
now, I'm having trouble doing so.

The Cowboys Schedule Based on EPA
https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AAP4v6f.img?h=632&w=1123&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

The 2021 Cowboys Are the Most
Well-Rounded Dallas Team Since 2007
https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AAP4v6m.img?h=634&w=1123&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

--- --- ---

Re: NFL EPA Statistic?

<c875a1d0-cca5-40e7-8e20-9d43a2072a30n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1374&group=alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys#1374

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 08:58:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: NFL EPA Statistic?
From: prohuman...@gmail.com (observer)
 by: observer - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 15:58 UTC

Follow-up:

After a full night's rest & further analysis
of the graphics & the actual stats from the
mentioned rankings, I still don't get it. Per-
haps Eddie Grove understands it & can ex-
plain it to me, 'cause I can't grasp what
they're doing with those graphics.

Here's a link to actual stats for all Cowboys
seasons: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/

If someone understands their stats & can
tie their stats into actual Cowboys stats,
I'd appreciate their sharing how/what the
EPA statistical website is doing whatever
it is they're attempting to do with so-called
EPA disparity.

Otherwise, I won't be linking to their infor-
mation in the future.

On Saturday, October 2, 2021 at 9:04:23 PM UTC-5, observer wrote:

..> The following article, it used an EPA statistic
..> I was unfamiliar with until checking it out at
..> https://www.bing.com/search?q=EPA%20NFL%20statistic&qs=n&form=QBRE&sp=-1&pq=epa%20nfl%20statistic&sc=1-17&sk=&cvid=E802096ACDD2443099FB971986E4B518
..>
..> Expected Points Added (EPA) is a football statistic
..> that seeks to measure the value of individual plays
..> in terms of points. This is done by calculating the
..> Expected Points (EP) of the down, distance, & field
..> position situation at the start of a play and contrast-
..> ing it with the situation at the end of the play.
..>
..> ---
..> October 2 2021
..>
[...]
..> *--- --- ---*

Re: NFL EPA Statistic?

<87sfxhr5md.fsf@hotmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1380&group=alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys#1380

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 17:33:14 -0700
 by: Eddie Grove - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 00:33 UTC

observer <prohumanistfreelover@gmail.com> writes:

> If someone understands their stats & can
> tie their stats into actual Cowboys stats,
> I'd appreciate their sharing how/what the
> EPA statistical website is doing whatever
> it is they're attempting to do with so-called
> EPA disparity.
>
> Otherwise, I won't be linking to their infor-
> mation in the future.

ESPN has a bunch of in-house stats that depend upon the sensors in the
players' shoulder pads. I assume EPA is one of them. You won't be able to
correlate it to anything from a box score.

You must have seen them say silly things like "that TD reception had a
catch percentage of 2.7%". They certainly make my eyes roll.

It would be great if these stats were meaningful, but it all depends
upon how well you trust their analytics department. E.g. they came up
with QBR to replace the standard QB rating. I think QBR is less
meaningful. If you think it is a substantial improvement, then you
should pay attention to their other analytics I guess.

Re: NFL EPA Statistic?

<9f2c9e77-90f7-451f-b7a1-60ecbe6c3c93n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1382&group=alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys#1382

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 18:01:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: prohuman...@gmail.com (observer)
 by: observer - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 01:01 UTC

On Sunday, October 3, 2021 at 7:33:16 PM UTC-5, Eddie Grove wrote:

> observer writes:
/> > If someone understands their stats & can
/> > tie their stats into actual Cowboys stats,
/> > I'd appreciate their sharing how/what the
/> > EPA statistical website is doing whatever
/> > it is they're attempting to do with so-called
/> > EPA disparity.
/> >
/> > Otherwise, I won't be linking to their infor-
/> > mation in the future.

..> ESPN has a bunch of in-house stats that depend upon the sensors in the
..> players' shoulder pads. I assume EPA is one of them. You won't be able to
..> correlate it to anything from a box score.
..>
..> You must have seen them say silly things like "that TD reception had a
..> catch percentage of 2.7%". They certainly make my eyes roll.
..>
..> It would be great if these stats were meaningful, but it all depends
..> upon how well you trust their analytics department. E.g. they came up
..> with QBR to replace the standard QB rating. I think QBR is less
..> meaningful. If you think it is a substantial improvement, then you
..> should pay attention to their other analytics I guess.

I've never been impressed with QBR stats. I guess I'm
just a traditionalist who finds passer-rating suffices.

The websites I linked to didn't mention ESPN being
the source of EPA. The following ESPN article from
2012 appears to me to be their taking responsibility
for that stat. I guess I'd have to be much more into
stats than I am, as nothing they're saying means
anything to me. Seems like they're taking simple ...

.... ways to measure team's performances & mak-
ing it far more complicated than it should be, but
I suppose EPA, just as everything in life, has some
value for some individuals. Perhaps it may mean
something to me in some future where brain im-
plants dramatically increase human knowledge ...

.... & comprehension, but until that happens (if it
ever does), I'll shy away from using any EPA data.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8379024/nfl-explaining-expected-points-metric