From: pol...@kfu.com (poldy)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Subject: Giants potential trade targets
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 08:19:52 -0700
 by: poldy - Thu, 22 Jul 2021 15:19 UTC

Dodgers and Padres have said they will be buyers. Padres willing to pay
luxury taxes if necessary to add key players.

Giants have lower payroll than either but Zaidi said they won't trade
away best prospects.

However, the Giants' surprise performance may not hold up without
another good starter and more bullpen help.

Also with older roster, they may need insurance in the lineup.

Here are some potential targets:

"Because the Giants don't necessarily need another top-of-the-rotation
arm to complement Gausman and DeSclafani, this is one area where they
might actually get what they want without having to sacrifice
significant prospect or payroll capital.
But if they do want to go for broke, there are aces out there for the
taking.

Atop the list of those likely to be moved is Texas Rangers All-Star Kyle
Gibson, who ought to be well within even the Giants' most extreme price
range. Though they're less likely to get traded, San Francisco could
also potentially afford underrated Colorado Rockies right-hander German
Marquez, Atlanta veteran Charlie Morton, Minnesota Twins ace Jose
Berrios and even Max Scherzer, the Washington Nationals' three-time Cy
Young Award winner.
Yet as Will Smith reminded the Giants with his walk-off home run on
Tuesday, the club's biggest need is actually in a bullpen that lacks a
true closer. That's where they might have a shot at Pittsburgh Pirates
righty Richard Rodriguez or, even better, Chicago Cubs eight-time
All-Star Craig Kimbrel.

On the position player side, the Giants don't necessarily need to add to
the core they already have. Yet they might do it anyway because A) they
might not want to take anything for granted with the health of Crawford,
Belt, Longoria and other 30-somethings like Buster Posey and Donovan
Solano and B) because more is always better.

Which is to say that there may be something to a report from Craig Mish
of the Miami Herald that the Giants are a team to watch in the
sweepstakes for Marlins center fielder Starling Marte. They're even a
potential fit for Rangers slugger Joey Gallo, who would equip their
lineup with even more power and Gold Glove-winning defense in right field.

Any one of these players would put the Giants that much closer to
capping their surprising season in style. Accordingly, any combination
of them would practically put that outcome within reach."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10008271-forget-the-dodgers-giants-are-the-most-interesting-buyers-of-2021-mlb-trade-deadline

Danny Duffy of the Royals is anotehr starter who's played well but is
currently injured.

All 3 NL West teams are looking to acquire him.

Trade deadline is July 30. So far not much activity but could pick up
towards the deadline.

Re: Giants potential trade targets

<dapjfgp5katrg3ff8fdhcvb9rvmvecgbt8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=139&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#139

From: jwalsh...@gmail.com (John Walsh)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Subject: Re: Giants potential trade targets
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 11:43:37 -1000
 by: John Walsh - Thu, 22 Jul 2021 21:43 UTC

On Thu, 22 Jul 2021 08:19:52 -0700, poldy <poldy@kfu.com> wrote:

>Dodgers and Padres have said they will be buyers. Padres willing to pay
>luxury taxes if necessary to add key players.
>
>Giants have lower payroll than either but Zaidi said they won't trade
>away best prospects.
>
>However, the Giants' surprise performance may not hold up without
>another good starter and more bullpen help.
>
>Also with older roster, they may need insurance in the lineup.
>
>Here are some potential targets:
>

>"Because the Giants don't necessarily need another top-of-the-rotation
>arm to complement Gausman and DeSclafani, this is one area where they
>might actually get what they want without having to sacrifice
>significant prospect or payroll capital.
>But if they do want to go for broke, there are aces out there for the
>taking.
>
>Atop the list of those likely to be moved is Texas Rangers All-Star Kyle
>Gibson, who ought to be well within even the Giants' most extreme price
>range. Though they're less likely to get traded, San Francisco could
>also potentially afford underrated Colorado Rockies right-hander German
>Marquez, Atlanta veteran Charlie Morton, Minnesota Twins ace Jose
>Berrios and even Max Scherzer, the Washington Nationals' three-time Cy
>Young Award winner.
>Yet as Will Smith reminded the Giants with his walk-off home run on
>Tuesday, the club's biggest need is actually in a bullpen that lacks a
>true closer. That's where they might have a shot at Pittsburgh Pirates
>righty Richard Rodriguez or, even better, Chicago Cubs eight-time
>All-Star Craig Kimbrel.
>
>On the position player side, the Giants don't necessarily need to add to
>the core they already have. Yet they might do it anyway because A) they
>might not want to take anything for granted with the health of Crawford,
>Belt, Longoria and other 30-somethings like Buster Posey and Donovan
>Solano and B) because more is always better.
>
>Which is to say that there may be something to a report from Craig Mish
>of the Miami Herald that the Giants are a team to watch in the
>sweepstakes for Marlins center fielder Starling Marte. They're even a
>potential fit for Rangers slugger Joey Gallo, who would equip their
>lineup with even more power and Gold Glove-winning defense in right field.
>
>Any one of these players would put the Giants that much closer to
>capping their surprising season in style. Accordingly, any combination
>of them would practically put that outcome within reach."
>

>https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10008271-forget-the-dodgers-giants-are-the-most-interesting-buyers-of-2021-mlb-trade-deadline
>
>Danny Duffy of the Royals is anotehr starter who's played well but is
>currently injured.
>
>All 3 NL West teams are looking to acquire him.
>
>Trade deadline is July 30. So far not much activity but could pick up
>towards the deadline.

I don't think they need a true closer because they've got McGee and at
least two others that could fill the role. As a whole, the bullpen is
pretty good, compared to last season.

There is one big difference from last year though. The Giants are an
extremely good destination for free agents, so they can pick up a good
fourth starter in the off season .

They also promoted Heliot Rmos to AAA, so they're filling the
pipeline with good players.