Sailing is fun, but scrubbing the decks is aardvark. -- Heard on Noahs' ark

sport / rec.sport.soccer / Re: And In Concacaf [r]

SubjectAuthor
* Re: And In Concacaf [r]Werner Pichler
`* Re: And In Concacaf [r]MH
 `- Re: And In Concacaf [r]MH

1
Re: And In Concacaf [r]

<50e7c019-d0ff-4689-881c-95b91fbb35f7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=14769&group=rec.sport.soccer#14769

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 03:11:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: And In Concacaf [r]
From: wpich...@gmail.com (Werner Pichler)
 by: Werner Pichler - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 10:11 UTC

On Monday, June 19, 2023 at 8:09:13 AM UTC+2, The Doctor wrote:
> USA 2 Canada 0 , USA are CONCACAF NL champions.

105th and final cap for Atiba Hutchinson - I kind of expected a bit more, with his longevity?
In the USMNT the record players have 150+ caps.

Ciao,
Werner

Re: And In Concacaf [r]

<u6qauq$259q5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=14771&group=rec.sport.soccer#14771

From: MHnos...@ucalgary.ca (MH)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 13:40:08 -0600
 by: MH - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 19:40 UTC

On 2023-06-19 04:11, Werner Pichler wrote:
> On Monday, June 19, 2023 at 8:09:13 AM UTC+2, The Doctor wrote:
>> USA 2 Canada 0 , USA are CONCACAF NL champions.
>
> 105th and final cap for Atiba Hutchinson - I kind of expected a bit more, with his longevity?
> In the USMNT the record players have 150+ caps.

During much of Atiba's career we simply did not play that many games.
Nowhere near enough friendlies, and as we never got to the Hexagonal
after 1997-98 (before Atiba started) or went deep in the Gold cup, there
was no big opportunity to make a lot of appearances.

Anyway, he did not play yesterday, so I believe he ends on 104 caps.

Less said about yesterday's match the better. Canada were pretty awful,
though I think the US deserves a lot of the credit for that. Their back
4 played very well, and Balogun and Reyna looked very good at times.
Weah, too, although he is way down the pecking order at Lille compared
to Jonathan David.

Set pieces in particular were our undoing. Herdman's decision not to
start Vitoria ended up looking very suspect. And Borjan is simply not
good enough. A better keeper would have kept out that first goal fairly
easily. Davies was woefully bad, and the usually reliable Eustaquio
had the worst day I have seen him have.

Not sure what the squad will be for the Gold cup, but I would be quite
happy to see Osorio, Borjan, Vitoria, Hutchinson (a given), Larin,
Cavallini, Wotherspoon and Hoilett left out so that some younger players
can get a closer look.

Maybe somethiung like

St. Clair

Johnston Cornelius Miller Adekugbe

Laryea Koné Eustaquio Davies

Buchanan David

To start with, and then lots of game time as subs for Zator, Loturi,
Shaffelburg, Farsi (still inexplicably not called), and others/

> Ciao,
> Werner

Re: And In Concacaf [r]

<u6qk1p$26as0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=14774&group=rec.sport.soccer#14774

From: MHnos...@ucalgary.ca (MH)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2023 16:15:20 -0600
 by: MH - Mon, 19 Jun 2023 22:15 UTC

I spoke too soon. Gold cup squad is out, and does not include
Davies, David, Larin, Buchanan, Cornelius, Koné, Johnston (who was
injured) Atiba.

> Not sure what the squad will be for the Gold cup, but I would be quite
> happy to see Osorio, Borjan, Vitoria, Hutchinson (a given), Larin,
> Cavallini, Wotherspoon and Hoilett left out so that some younger players
> can get a closer look.

Cavallini is unfortunately in the group. Vitoria too but that is good
thing in this context since the less experienced defenders need his
influence.

Osorio is there - great player, but he has had so many injuries in the
last year that he might have been better of with only MLS to deal with.

Complete squad includes several uncapped players, some neo-Canadians,
some players I had never heard of. It does not seem that winning the
tournament is any kind of priority.

Complete list:

CANADA
GK- Milan Borjan | SRB / FK Crvena zvezda (Red Star Belgrade)
GK- Tom McGill | ENG / Brighton & Hove Albion FC
GK- Dayne St. Clair | USA / Minnesota United FC
CB- Moïse Bombito | USA / Colorado Rapids
CB- Scott Kennedy | GER / SSV Jahn Regensburg
CB- Zachary Mcgraw | USA / Portland Timbers
CB- Steven Vitória | POR / GD Chaves
CB- Dominick Zator | POL / Korona Kielce
FB- Samuel Adekugbe | TUR / Galatasaray SK
FB- Zachary Brault-Guillard | CAN / CF Montréal
FB- Richie Laryea | CAN / Toronto FC
FB- Kamal Miller | USA / Inter Miami FC
M- Ali Ahmed | Vancouver Whitecaps FC
M- Stephen Eustáquio | POR / FC Porto
M- Victor Loturi | SCO / Ross County FC
M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
M- David Wotherspoon | Unattached / sans club
F- David Junior Hoilett | ENG / Reading FC
F- Charles-Andreas Brym | NED / FC Eindhoven
F- Lucas Cavallini | MEX / Club Tijuana
F- Liam Millar | SUI / FC Basel
F- Jacen Russell-Rowe | USA / Columbus Crew
F- Jacob Shaffelburg | USA / Nashville SC

> Maybe somethiung like
>
> St. Clair
>
> Johnston  Cornelius  Miller Adekugbe
>
> Laryea   Koné  Eustaquio  Davies
>
>      Buchanan   David

revised:

St. Clair

Brault-Guillard Vitoria Miller Adekugbe

Laryea Osorio Eustaquio Shaffelburg

Hoilett Millar

Would like to see Loturi, Russell-Rowe, Bombito, and McGraw get a fair
amount of playing time.