From: milive...@gmail.com (milivella)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Subject: Fantasy Scout - Chat thread, August 2023
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2023 04:13:55 +0200
 by: milivella - Mon, 7 Aug 2023 02:13 UTC

[The rules of this thread are simple: write what you want, reply if you
want, ignore if you have to.]

---

I have updated the graphs of the evolution of the rankings:
http://fantasyscout.altervista.org/rankingsevolution.htm

--
Cheers
milivella

Re: Fantasy Scout - Chat thread, August 2023

<ub1lc8$8oit$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=15253&group=rec.sport.soccer#15253

From: milive...@gmail.com (milivella)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Subject: Re: Fantasy Scout - Chat thread, August 2023
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2023 05:25:58 +0200
 by: milivella - Thu, 10 Aug 2023 03:25 UTC

I have updated the archive:

Rankings:
http://fantasyscout.altervista.org/rankingsarchive.htm

Players:
http://fantasyscout.altervista.org/playersarchive.htm

Predicted head-to-heads:
http://fantasyscout.altervista.org/predictedheadtoheadsarchive.htm

--
Cheers
milivella

Re: Fantasy Scout - Chat thread, August 2023

<ub8t9a$1ghh2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=15286&group=rec.sport.soccer#15286

From: milive...@gmail.com (milivella)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 23:23:52 +0200
 by: milivella - Sat, 12 Aug 2023 21:23 UTC

The 2022-23 season

The data I used: http://fantasyscout.altervista.org/rankingsarchive.htm
Previous season:
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.sport.soccer/c/I3Yg3jyFLRU/m/3cdxYIYrAQAJ

Cycle 1: Last season, Daniele gained some real hope of keeping his place
on the podium, because he outscored both Michael H. and Jesus. This
season, fortunately, Neymar scored more points than Thomas Mueller (and
the latter's points weigh less because of the incredible number of duds
in Daniele's squad anyway); the result is that Jesus leapfrogged
Daniele, who is now out of the podium. The big questions are: Will
Neymar retire from the NT? Will Flick be so stupid to call up Mueller
again? If these two keep scoring, will they be able to catch up MH's
presumably stationary score? ...Or maybe Gabbiadini will be subbed on 16
times and dark horse Vasilij will get on the podium instead of two of
the three duelists (double the number of the substitutions, and even Sid
Debgupta should be afraid!).

Cycle 2: Last season, Depay scored so many points that Tom could have a
long shot at the podium. This season, Depay got back to non-superhuman
level, and Tom got back to virtually no hope of reaching top 3.
Therefore, the algorithm has the podium as almost locked, and the story
of this cycle has ended---no, stop the presses! 4th-placed Daniele
scored twice as many points as 2nd-placed Andrea and 3rd-placed Binder!
And (OK, the algorithm does not know this) Andrea's main scorer Varane
retired from the NT! It's almost impossible that Andrea=Goetze will
score more points than Binder=Gundogan, so Binder can't get worse than
3rd. On the other hand, Daniele=Casemiro+Walker can _easily_ close the
33 point gap between him and Andrea. All in all, the story of the cycle
from now on is Daniele vs. Andrea. ...Where have I heard this before?

Cycle 3: The focus was on Nigel vs. Michael H.'s race for 3rd place, and
the guys delivered, scoring more than anyone but impossible-to-match
leader Andrea---notably, scoring more than twice as points as mediocre
runner-up Daniele. Anyway, both Nigel and Michael H. scored 30ish points
thanks to three players aged 27/28/29 (OK, 28/28/29 in Michael's case).
To me, this sounds like the race is _on_. However, to (my attempt to
replicate) the prediction algorithm, this sounds like moving from
58%-44% to 80%-24% (chances of podium, Nigel first). Hmm. It looks like
the algorithm has been positively impressed by Nigel's Ake's step up and
by Michael's Digne and Laporte's step down. I don't know, but I would
bet on Michael at the algorithm's odds. The players to focus on should
be: Ake, Coman and Stones (Nigel); Shaw, Goretzka and Laporte (Michael).

Cycle 4: Another race for the 3rd place: Abubakr vs. Alberto. And,
again, they did their best to entertain us. Alberto was the best scorer
in the cycle, thanks to the usual Kimmich and the finally delivering
Dembele and Asensio. Abubakr was the third best scorer, thanks to "1 cap
and 1 goal a match" Mbappe. Indeed, Alberto and Abubakr were so good
that now Andrea's place on the podium begins to wobble...

Cycle 5: One year ago, I wrote that 2021-22 _may_ have been the season
Jackson won the cycle. This season, Jackson:
- got the 2nd best performance across all cycles;
- got to 1st place;
- moved from 77% to 93% chances of winning the cycle.
With Michael H. (35 points) and Alberto (26 points) unable to keep
Jackson's pace, it looks like the 5th cycle is _really_ over. Barring
surprises, next year we'll have to focus on the race for the podium,
here too. Let's celebrate Jackson's four horsemen, all level at 11
points scored this season: Theo Hernandez, Maguire, Lautaro Martinez,
Vinicius Junior.

Cycle 6: Hey, it looks Jackson won two cycles in a year! But let's start
from the beginning. This season, ten scouts scored between 34 and 22
points. This is evidently what one should expect from a cycle 6 scout.
Well... Jackson scored 77 points. Or, in other words, Jackson would be a
normal scout if he only picked on one day. On January 30, 2020, Jackson
picked Grealish and Bellingham, who scored 10 points each this season.
Unfortunately for everyone else, he didn't took 730 days off, and he
also picked Lucas Paqueta, Diogo Dalot, Diogo Costa, Camavinga, Pedri...

Cycle 7: Actually, Jackson did his best to win _three_ cycles in a year!
He scored a noteworthy 60 points, with the 3rd best performance of the
season after... Jackson and Jackson. Fortunately, Leon scored 59 and got
everybody's hopes for some entertainment up! ...Unless you listen to the
algorithm, that will make you notice that Jackson's main scorers (Julian
Alvarez and Tchouameni) are just 23, while Leon has---yes, Pino and
Timber, but also Cristian Romero (25 year old) and Simon (26). This
seems suspiciously similar to what Algo said last year about the same
scouts in the previous cycle. Evidently, Leon prefers to pick slightly
older players, and this lets him match Jackson' stellar performance in
the short term, but could mean that he will be short of breatch before
his opponent. Anyway, even Algo would admit that this race is still open.

Cycle 8: Let me quote what I wrote two years ago about cycle 7 (which
was in the same mid-picking state as cycle 8 is now): "Leon's strategy
of picking a lot of players early in the cycle seems to work better than
in the 6th cycle (also 23 picks in the first year of the cycle): 41
points vs. 20." This time, Leon scored more points per match (3.64 vs.
2.48), with more picks left (6 vs. 1) [the age is practically the same,
21.0 vs. 21.2]. Leon is clearly improving his game, and this could
finally be his cycle.

--
Cheers
milivella

Re: Fantasy Scout - Chat thread, August 2023

<f8cca3d3-8b2b-48d6-aa2f-027b9334e5dbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=15428&group=rec.sport.soccer#15428

Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 23:12:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: wpich...@gmail.com (Werner Pichler)
 by: Werner Pichler - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 06:12 UTC

On Saturday, August 12, 2023 at 11:23:57 PM UTC+2, milivella wrote:
> The 2022-23 season
>
> The data I used: http://fantasyscout.altervista.org/rankingsarchive.htm
> Previous season:
> https://groups.google.com/g/rec.sport.soccer/c/I3Yg3jyFLRU/m/3cdxYIYrAQAJ
>
> Cycle 3: The focus was on Nigel vs. Michael H.'s race for 3rd place, and
> the guys delivered, scoring more than anyone but impossible-to-match
> leader Andrea---notably, scoring more than twice as points as mediocre
> runner-up Daniele. Anyway, both Nigel and Michael H. scored 30ish points
> thanks to three players aged 27/28/29 (OK, 28/28/29 in Michael's case).
> To me, this sounds like the race is _on_. However, to (my attempt to
> replicate) the prediction algorithm, this sounds like moving from
> 58%-44% to 80%-24% (chances of podium, Nigel first). Hmm. It looks like
> the algorithm has been positively impressed by Nigel's Ake's step up and
> by Michael's Digne and Laporte's step down. I don't know, but I would
> bet on Michael at the algorithm's odds. The players to focus on should
> be: Ake, Coman and Stones (Nigel); Shaw, Goretzka and Laporte (Michael).

Laporte off to Saudi-Arabia - does this rule him out of the Spanish NT?

Ciao,
Werner

Re: Fantasy Scout - Chat thread, August 2023

<ucbdor$88r3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=15435&group=rec.sport.soccer#15435

From: milive...@gmail.com (milivella)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 01:33:46 +0200
 by: milivella - Fri, 25 Aug 2023 23:33 UTC

Werner Pichler:
> On Saturday, August 12, 2023 at 11:23:57 PM UTC+2, milivella wrote:
>> The 2022-23 season
>>
>> The data I used: http://fantasyscout.altervista.org/rankingsarchive.htm
>> Previous season:
>> https://groups.google.com/g/rec.sport.soccer/c/I3Yg3jyFLRU/m/3cdxYIYrAQAJ
>>
>> Cycle 3: The focus was on Nigel vs. Michael H.'s race for 3rd place, and
>> the guys delivered, scoring more than anyone but impossible-to-match
>> leader Andrea---notably, scoring more than twice as points as mediocre
>> runner-up Daniele. Anyway, both Nigel and Michael H. scored 30ish points
>> thanks to three players aged 27/28/29 (OK, 28/28/29 in Michael's case).
>> To me, this sounds like the race is _on_. However, to (my attempt to
>> replicate) the prediction algorithm, this sounds like moving from
>> 58%-44% to 80%-24% (chances of podium, Nigel first). Hmm. It looks like
>> the algorithm has been positively impressed by Nigel's Ake's step up and
>> by Michael's Digne and Laporte's step down. I don't know, but I would
>> bet on Michael at the algorithm's odds. The players to focus on should
>> be: Ake, Coman and Stones (Nigel); Shaw, Goretzka and Laporte (Michael).
>
> Laporte off to Saudi-Arabia - does this rule him out of the Spanish NT?
Ooor... given Saudi Arabia's and the Spanish Federation's views on
women, does this make him captain of the Spanish NT?
--
Cheers
milivella

Re: Fantasy Scout - Chat thread, August 2023

<ucc4h9$f9dt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=15438&group=rec.sport.soccer#15438

From: MHnos...@ucalgary.ca (MH)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.soccer
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 00:02:15 -0600
 by: MH - Sat, 26 Aug 2023 06:02 UTC

On 2023-08-25 00:12, Werner Pichler wrote:
> On Saturday, August 12, 2023 at 11:23:57 PM UTC+2, milivella wrote:
>> The 2022-23 season
>>
>> The data I used: http://fantasyscout.altervista.org/rankingsarchive.htm
>> Previous season:
>> https://groups.google.com/g/rec.sport.soccer/c/I3Yg3jyFLRU/m/3cdxYIYrAQAJ
>>
>> Cycle 3: The focus was on Nigel vs. Michael H.'s race for 3rd place, and
>> the guys delivered, scoring more than anyone but impossible-to-match
>> leader Andrea---notably, scoring more than twice as points as mediocre
>> runner-up Daniele. Anyway, both Nigel and Michael H. scored 30ish points
>> thanks to three players aged 27/28/29 (OK, 28/28/29 in Michael's case).
>> To me, this sounds like the race is _on_. However, to (my attempt to
>> replicate) the prediction algorithm, this sounds like moving from
>> 58%-44% to 80%-24% (chances of podium, Nigel first). Hmm. It looks like
>> the algorithm has been positively impressed by Nigel's Ake's step up and
>> by Michael's Digne and Laporte's step down. I don't know, but I would
>> bet on Michael at the algorithm's odds. The players to focus on should
>> be: Ake, Coman and Stones (Nigel); Shaw, Goretzka and Laporte (Michael).
>
> Laporte off to Saudi-Arabia - does this rule him out of the Spanish NT?

It might. But he seems to have been first choice at centre back for a
while so they might give him a chance or two while away.

Brazil and Belgium have still picked players playing in far-off, less
prestigious leagues (China, Japan for example). I am not sure any of
the other heavyweights have ever done something like that apart from
sympathy caps for Beckham and Rooney when they were with MLS.