From: jwalsh...@gmail.com (John Walsh)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Subject: Giant take two out three against the Astros
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2021 14:03:02 -1000
 by: John Walsh - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 00:03 UTC

The Giants showed the Astros why the Giants are the best team in MLB.
And Kris Bryant was in the lineup today and his hit his first HR as a
Giant in the 3rd inning.

Logan Webb, who the writers gave a zero chance against the Astros,
held them to 2 runs over 6 innings.

Giants 5 Astros 3

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/astros-vs-giants/2021/08/01/633086#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=wrap,game=633086

Re: Giant take two out three against the Astros

<se8jm8$c50$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=155&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#155

From: pol...@kfu.com (poldy)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Subject: Re: Giant take two out three against the Astros
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2021 04:07:49 -0700
 by: poldy - Mon, 2 Aug 2021 11:07 UTC

On 8/1/21 5:03 PM, John Walsh wrote:
> The Giants showed the Astros why the Giants are the best team in MLB.
> And Kris Bryant was in the lineup today and his hit his first HR as a
> Giant in the 3rd inning.
>
> Logan Webb, who the writers gave a zero chance against the Astros,
> held them to 2 runs over 6 innings.
>
> Giants 5 Astros 3
>
> https://www.mlb.com/gameday/astros-vs-giants/2021/08/01/633086#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=wrap,game=633086

Must have some games against them on the road coming up.

Giants really haven't played the Brewers much, which looks like another
NL contender. Cardinals handled them pretty easily and Brewers are
leading the Cardinals, IIRC.

If Bryant has a big second half, I wonder if they try to sign him.
Boras will probably look for a some ridiculous contract.

However, Bryant will be 30 in January so he's not going to get a 10-year
contract -- the team that gives him such a contract would be making a
big mistake.

He might look for $150-200 million over 5-6 years though.

His best seasons though were 4-5 years ago or more and his OPS in the
playoffs is not close to his best OPS years.

So GIants could be looking at replacing Crawford after this season
though Bryant's main position is 3B. But Longoria is on the books for 2
more years.

Maybe not a good long term fit unless he can show some power at AT&T and
proficiency at 1B or maybe LF.

--
Serenity Now!

Re: Giant take two out three against the Astros

<gfrhgg9g9nboji5gk9bc4o1annleljq24v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=156&group=alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants#156

From: jwalsh...@gmail.com (John Walsh)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.baseball.sf-giants
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2021 11:10:00 -1000
 by: John Walsh - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 21:10 UTC

On Mon, 02 Aug 2021 04:07:49 -0700, poldy <poldy@kfu.com> wrote:

>On 8/1/21 5:03 PM, John Walsh wrote:
>> The Giants showed the Astros why the Giants are the best team in MLB.
>> And Kris Bryant was in the lineup today and his hit his first HR as a
>> Giant in the 3rd inning.
>>
>> Logan Webb, who the writers gave a zero chance against the Astros,
>> held them to 2 runs over 6 innings.
>>
>> Giants 5 Astros 3
>>
>> https://www.mlb.com/gameday/astros-vs-giants/2021/08/01/633086#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=wrap,game=633086
>>

>Must have some games against them on the road coming up.
>
>Giants really haven't played the Brewers much, which looks like another
>NL contender. Cardinals handled them pretty easily and Brewers are
>leading the Cardinals, IIRC.
>

>If Bryant has a big second half, I wonder if they try to sign him.
>Boras will probably look for a some ridiculous contract.
>
>However, Bryant will be 30 in January so he's not going to get a 10-year
>contract -- the team that gives him such a contract would be making a
>big mistake.
>
>He might look for $150-200 million over 5-6 years though.
>
>His best seasons though were 4-5 years ago or more and his OPS in the
>playoffs is not close to his best OPS years.
>

>So GIants could be looking at replacing Crawford after this season
>though Bryant's main position is 3B. But Longoria is on the books for 2
>more years.
>
>Maybe not a good long term fit unless he can show some power at AT&T and
>proficiency at 1B or maybe LF.

The Astros are American League, so the Giants don't necessarily play
them again. As it is, the Giants should be getting some major respect
from the league.

The Giants typically have problems with the Cardinals, it's been like
that even in the best years. That said, the Giants too two straight
series from division leading teams.

They made the deal knowing that Bryant was a one year wonder, no
problem. They got Gausman back after his one year deal. Who knows?
They both know how it stands, so Bryant can go on his way after the
World Series.

He showed some power yesterday when he lashed that home run into the
left field seats and his OPS stands at .864. Matter of fact,
Crawford's sporting an OPS .903 and Buster's is .968. For the most
part, the lineup is much better in all the stats this year.

Crawford owes a lot the new hitting team that Zaid and Kapler created.
As players age, they start batting differently. They took Crawford and
got him to open up his stance they way he batting when he was younger.
Amazing results, wouldn't you say?

Hard to say who they could replace Crawford with. He's pretty damn
good and whomever replaces him has to be that good. Is Belt done at
the end of this season?