Most people's favorite way to end a game is by winning.

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / Re: Coaching

SubjectAuthor
* CoachingReneG
`* Re: Coachingphlash74
 `* Re: CoachingRobin Miller
  `* Re: CoachingReneG
   `- Re: CoachingRobin Miller

1
Coaching

<8d824a58-e82d-46cd-b669-799e86a3114cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1637&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1637

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 21:44:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Coaching
From: reneg1...@gmail.com (ReneG)
 by: ReneG - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 05:44 UTC

Constant penalties, and poor tackling...all point to coaching. I also didn't understand going for 2. Even if they got 8 points on each TD, it would still take 3 scores.

And I'm tired of all the dropped passes.

Re: Coaching

<937398c5-f333-4cd0-af5b-7bf4169d5104n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1639&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1639

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 08:47:29 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Coaching
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 16:47 UTC

On Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 9:44:15 PM UTC-8, ReneG wrote:
> Constant penalties, and poor tackling...all point to coaching. I also didn't understand going for 2. Even if they got 8 points on each TD, it would still take 3 scores.
>
> And I'm tired of all the dropped passes.

I think the going for 2 is thinking that if they get the 2 and then miraculously score two more TDs, they can win the game with PATs rather than tie it, and if they miss it like they did but score 2 more TDs, they'll have a chance to get the 2 pt. conversion back and still force OT. It's basically probably giving them a slightly better chance to win in a situation where they already had almost no chance.

The drops are absolutely killing them.

Michael

Re: Coaching

<j0l7j2Fqua1U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1644&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1644

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2021 18:55:11 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 29 Nov 2021 23:55 UTC

phlash74 wrote:
> On Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 9:44:15 PM UTC-8, ReneG wrote:
>> Constant penalties, and poor tackling...all point to coaching. I also didn't understand going for 2. Even if they got 8 points on each TD, it would still take 3 scores.
>>
>> And I'm tired of all the dropped passes.
>
> I think the going for 2 is thinking that if they get the 2 and then miraculously score two more TDs, they can win the game with PATs rather than tie it, and if they miss it like they did but score 2 more TDs, they'll have a chance to get the 2 pt. conversion back and still force OT. It's basically probably giving them a slightly better chance to win in a situation where they already had almost no chance.
>
> The drops are absolutely killing them.
>
> Michael

I thought the going for a two-point conversion made no sense. I took it
as a show of faith in the team (which then was not rewarded), but I
thought the kicker could have used it more (via an extra point attempt)
after missing the field goal.

The Chargers are near the bottom of the league (i.e. close to worst) in
drops, but I don't see that as coaching. I think the receivers may be
trying too hard to make big plays, and I think that Herbert's accuracy
isn't what it was last season. The pass that went off Ekeler's hands for
the pick-six could/should have been caught, but it was high and a little
behind him, for example.

--Robin

Re: Coaching

<16ba021b-3875-4fc3-9d1b-78bdb9237c6bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1648&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1648

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 16:33:59 -0800 (PST)
From: reneg1...@gmail.com (ReneG)
 by: ReneG - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 00:33 UTC

> The Chargers are near the bottom of the league (i.e. close to worst) in
> drops, but I don't see that as coaching. I think the receivers may be
> trying too hard to make big plays, and I think that Herbert's accuracy
> isn't what it was last season. The pass that went off Ekeler's hands for
> the pick-six could/should have been caught, but it was high and a little
> behind him, for example.
>
> --Robin

Penalties and bad tackling do point to coaching.

Ekeler's pass wasn't great but still catchable, especially for a guy who is supposed to be a premier pass catching RB. He's had a handful of those. One pass went through his hands for a TD. I thought it might have been tipped but it made it clear to him. He just whiffed on it.

I also thought Storm was horrible but the new left guard might be worse.

Re: Coaching

<j0o2eeFd1acU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1649&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1649

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 20:45:47 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 01:45 UTC

ReneG wrote:

>> The Chargers are near the bottom of the league (i.e. close to worst) in
>> drops, but I don't see that as coaching. I think the receivers may be
>> trying too hard to make big plays, and I think that Herbert's accuracy
>> isn't what it was last season. The pass that went off Ekeler's hands for
>> the pick-six could/should have been caught, but it was high and a little
>> behind him, for example.
>>
>> --Robin
>
> Penalties and bad tackling do point to coaching.
>
> Ekeler's pass wasn't great but still catchable, especially for a guy who is supposed to be a premier pass catching RB. He's had a handful of those. One pass went through his hands for a TD. I thought it might have been tipped but it made it clear to him. He just whiffed on it.
>
> I also thought Storm was horrible but the new left guard might be worse.

I agree that the bloom is off Staley a little bit, at least for me. I
thought things would be turning around a little more quickly than they have.

--Robin