I just know I'm a better manager when I have Joe DiMaggio in center field. -- Casey Stengel

sport / rec.autos.sport.f1 / Re: OT - moan, whinge, complain

SubjectAuthor
* OT - moan, whinge, complainGeoff May
`* Re: OT - moan, whinge, complaina425couple
 +* Re: OT - moan, whinge, complainCS
 |`* Re: OT - moan, whinge, complainGeoff May
 | `* Re: OT - moan, whinge, complainCalum
 |  `* Re: OT - moan, whinge, complainGeoff May
 |   `- Re: OT - moan, whinge, complainGeoff May
 +* Re: OT - moan, whinge, complainSir Tim
 |`- Re: OT - moan, whinge, complainNews
 `- Re: OT - moan, whinge, complainPhil Carmody

1
OT - moan, whinge, complain

<t1q3dq$nh7$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=16474&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#16474

From: GeoffMay...@nospam.com (Geoff May)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Subject: OT - moan, whinge, complain
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:29:45 +0100
 by: Geoff May - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 16:29 UTC

I've been watching and enjoying Formula-E since it started but, this
weekend's race in Rome is not covered on any of my available TV
channels. If I want to watch live, I have to watch on the YouTube channel.

I have several complaints about this:
1 - YouTube has more adverts than QVC.

2 - They keep telling us that the future of motoring and racing is going
to be electric and yet they witless wonders that are in charge cannot be
bothered to cover the electric racing series.

Cheers

Geoff

Re: OT - moan, whinge, complain

<zO60K.478188$LN2.180065@fx13.iad>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=16487&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#16487

Subject: Re: OT - moan, whinge, complain
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
From: a425cou...@hotmail.com (a425couple)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 16:54:12 -0700
 by: a425couple - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 23:54 UTC

On 3/27/2022 9:29 AM, Geoff May wrote:
> I've been watching and enjoying Formula-E since it started but, this
> weekend's race in Rome is not covered on any of my available TV
> channels. If I want to watch live, I have to watch on the YouTube channel.

I'm happy if you are enjoying it.

> 2 - They keep telling us that the future of motoring
> and racing is going
> to be electric and yet they witless wonders that are in
> charge cannot be
> bothered to cover the electric racing series.
> Cheers
> Geoff

I do not see the draw for spectators.
They are slower than Formula Ford.
They can not run for very long.
No real sound.
How is this supposed to draw new fans?
And / Or How is this supposed to draw sponsors
to pay the costs to put it on decent TV?

Re: OT - moan, whinge, complain

<09cd155a-8d2f-47f4-8bec-469e83fda021n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=16489&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#16489

Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 04:07:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: crmst...@gmail.com (CS)
 by: CS - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 11:07 UTC

Don't think there was an FE Rome race the w/e just gone?? I have 9 April for the 2022 race.
Sam Bird, who drives Jaguar #10, was in Jeddah commentating for BBC Radio.

Re: OT - moan, whinge, complain

<t1t24j$fp0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=16495&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#16495

From: GeoffMay...@nospam.com (Geoff May)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 20:26:10 +0100
 by: Geoff May - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 19:26 UTC

On 28/03/2022 12:07, CS wrote:
> Don't think there was an FE Rome race the w/e just gone?? I have 9 April for the 2022 race.
> Sam Bird, who drives Jaguar #10, was in Jeddah commentating for BBC Radio.

Sorry, that was a mistype, I meant the weekend after (i.e. the 9th April).

I was looking on the official FE page and they have links to where the
races will be shown but for the UK, it is only available on YouTube.

Cheers

Geoff

Re: OT - moan, whinge, complain

<t1t3ga$12td$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=16497&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#16497

From: com.gm...@nospam.scottishwildcat (Calum)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 20:49:29 +0100
 by: Calum - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 19:49 UTC

On 28/03/2022 20:26, Geoff May wrote:
> On 28/03/2022 12:07, CS wrote:
>> Don't think there was an FE Rome race the w/e just gone??  I have 9
>> April for the 2022 race.
>> Sam Bird, who drives Jaguar #10, was in Jeddah commentating for BBC
>> Radio.
>
> Sorry, that was a mistype, I meant the weekend after (i.e. the 9th April).
>
> I was looking on the official FE page and they have links to where the
> races will be shown but for the UK, it is only available on YouTube.

"All 16 races on the 2022 calendar will be shown live on Channel 4
platforms including its main channel, online via All4 and the Channel 4
YouTube channel."

<https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sport/formula-e-tv-2022-calendar-schedule/>

Re: OT - moan, whinge, complain

<jaejj4F79tsU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=16498&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#16498

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Sir Tim)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: 28 Mar 2022 20:19:48 GMT
 by: Sir Tim - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 20:19 UTC

a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/27/2022 9:29 AM, Geoff May wrote:
>> I've been watching and enjoying Formula-E since it started but, this
>> weekend's race in Rome is not covered on any of my available TV
>> channels. If I want to watch live, I have to watch on the YouTube channel.
>>

> I'm happy if you are enjoying it.
>
>> 2 - They keep telling us that the future of motoring
>> and racing is going
>> to be electric and yet they witless wonders that are in
>> charge cannot be
>> bothered to cover the electric racing series.
>> Cheers
>> Geoff
>>

> I do not see the draw for spectators.
> They are slower than Formula Ford.
> They can not run for very long.
> No real sound.
> How is this supposed to draw new fans?
> And / Or How is this supposed to draw sponsors
> to pay the costs to put it on decent TV?

I think that the FIA is soon going to have to consider seriously the
direction it intends F1 to take in the future.

Grands Prix originally took the form of races for road going cars. They
were enthusiastically supported by manufacturers as a showcase for their
products and it has always been argued that racing, particularly F1, drove
development which could later be used to improve road cars. Of course there
is a huge difference between the family saloon and an F1 car but they still
both have four wheels and an internal combustion engine. However it is now
pretty clear that the future of road cars is electric so it is likely that
even the most tenuous connection to F1 will be lost.

For the reasons that you state I find it difficult to image that, if it
were to go electric, F1 could attract the massive audience that it
currently enjoys. To maintain its position as the premier racing category
F1 needs to be seen to involve the fastest, most highly developed cars
driven by the world’s finest drivers, but these cars could still be powered
by internal combustion engines even though any connection to road going
cars would be lost.

--
Sir Tim

Re: OT - moan, whinge, complain

<t1t68f$4nm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=16499&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#16499

From: New...@Group.Name (News)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 16:36:30 -0400
 by: News - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 20:36 UTC

On 3/28/2022 4:19 PM, Sir Tim wrote:
> a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3/27/2022 9:29 AM, Geoff May wrote:
>>> I've been watching and enjoying Formula-E since it started but, this
>>> weekend's race in Rome is not covered on any of my available TV
>>> channels. If I want to watch live, I have to watch on the YouTube channel.
>>>

>> I'm happy if you are enjoying it.
>>
>>> 2 - They keep telling us that the future of motoring
>>> and racing is going
>>> to be electric and yet they witless wonders that are in
>>> charge cannot be
>>> bothered to cover the electric racing series.
>>> Cheers
>>> Geoff
>>>

>> I do not see the draw for spectators.
>> They are slower than Formula Ford.
>> They can not run for very long.
>> No real sound.
>> How is this supposed to draw new fans?
>> And / Or How is this supposed to draw sponsors
>> to pay the costs to put it on decent TV?
>>

> I think that the FIA is soon going to have to consider seriously the
> direction it intends F1 to take in the future.
>
> Grands Prix originally took the form of races for road going cars. They
> were enthusiastically supported by manufacturers as a showcase for their
> products and it has always been argued that racing, particularly F1, drove
> development which could later be used to improve road cars. Of course there
> is a huge difference between the family saloon and an F1 car but they still
> both have four wheels and an internal combustion engine. However it is now
> pretty clear that the future of road cars is electric so it is likely that
> even the most tenuous connection to F1 will be lost.
>
> For the reasons that you state I find it difficult to image that, if it
> were to go electric, F1 could attract the massive audience that it
> currently enjoys. To maintain its position as the premier racing category
> F1 needs to be seen to involve the fastest, most highly developed cars
> driven by the world’s finest drivers, but these cars could still be powered
> by internal combustion engines even though any connection to road going
> cars would be lost.

Bring back an unlimited competition class, an updated Group 7 series.

Re: OT - moan, whinge, complain

<t1t6qq$iki$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=16500&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#16500

From: GeoffMay...@nospam.com (Geoff May)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 21:46:17 +0100
 by: Geoff May - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 20:46 UTC

On 28/03/2022 20:49, Calum wrote:
> On 28/03/2022 20:26, Geoff May wrote:
>> On 28/03/2022 12:07, CS wrote:
>>> Don't think there was an FE Rome race the w/e just gone??  I have 9
>>> April for the 2022 race.
>>> Sam Bird, who drives Jaguar #10, was in Jeddah commentating for BBC
>>> Radio.
>>
>> Sorry, that was a mistype, I meant the weekend after (i.e. the 9th
>> April).
>>
>> I was looking on the official FE page and they have links to where the
>> races will be shown but for the UK, it is only available on YouTube.
>
> "All 16 races on the 2022 calendar will be shown live on Channel 4
> platforms including its main channel, online via All4 and the Channel 4
> YouTube channel."
>
> <https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sport/formula-e-tv-2022-calendar-schedule/>

I shall withdraw my whinge if that turns out to be the case :)

Thank you

Geoff

Re: OT - moan, whinge, complain

<87r16llo16.fsf@zotaspaz.fatphil.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=16501&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#16501

From: pc+use...@asdf.org (Phil Carmody)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 01:17:57 +0300
sha1:rZvKuxqHq0izh2BfZlAgCYpcy7M=
 by: Phil Carmody - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 22:17 UTC

a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com> writes:
> On 3/27/2022 9:29 AM, Geoff May wrote:
>> I've been watching and enjoying Formula-E since it started but, this
>> weekend's race in Rome is not covered on any of my available TV
>> channels. If I want to watch live, I have to watch on the YouTube
>> channel.
>
> I'm happy if you are enjoying it.
>
>> 2 - They keep telling us that the future of motoring and racing is
>> going to be electric and yet they witless wonders that are in
>> charge cannot be bothered to cover the electric racing series.
>> Cheers
>> Geoff
>
> I do not see the draw for spectators.
> They are slower than Formula Ford.
> They can not run for very long.
> No real sound.
> How is this supposed to draw new fans?

Open and part-filled bottles strapped to the chassis, so that as they
drive they play notes.

> And / Or How is this supposed to draw sponsors
> to pay the costs to put it on decent TV?

Could bring in more beer sponsorship?
Or milk?

Phil
--
We are no longer hunters and nomads. No longer awed and frightened, as we have
gained some understanding of the world in which we live. As such, we can cast

Re: OT - moan, whinge, complain

<t2kqri$sbs$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=16595&group=rec.autos.sport.f1#16595

From: GeoffMay...@nospam.com (Geoff May)
Newsgroups: rec.autos.sport.f1
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2022 20:49:06 +0100
 by: Geoff May - Wed, 6 Apr 2022 19:49 UTC

On 28/03/2022 21:46, Geoff May wrote:
> On 28/03/2022 20:49, Calum wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry, that was a mistype, I meant the weekend after (i.e. the 9th
>>> April).
>>>
>>> I was looking on the official FE page and they have links to where
>>> the races will be shown but for the UK, it is only available on YouTube.
>>
>> "All 16 races on the 2022 calendar will be shown live on Channel 4
>> platforms including its main channel, online via All4 and the Channel
>> 4 YouTube channel."
>>
>> <https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sport/formula-e-tv-2022-calendar-schedule/>
>
> I shall withdraw my whinge if that turns out to be the case :)

Appears as though I have to withdraw my whinge but, in my defence, I was
expecting the official site to this for all races. Looks like the only
update the week before the race.

Cheers

Geoff