From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: USA Today: Everything we know about Chargers' 41-22 victory over
Bengals
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2021 20:28:07 -0500
Firefox/68.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.10
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 01:28 UTC

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2021/12/05/chargers-bengals-recap-justin-herbert-joe-burrow/

Everything we know about Chargers' 41-22 victory over Bengals
Gavino Borquez

December 5, 2021 2:00 pm PT

That was fun.

After taking a massive 24-0 lead, the Chargers started to see the game
slip out of their hands when the Bengals scored 22 unanswered points.

It was then when both sides of the ball stepped up when it mattered the
most to close out the game.

To recap Week 13, here is everything we know:

It was over when…

At the beginning of the fourth quarter, Joe Mixon fumbled the football,
and it was recovered by Tevaughn Campbell, who returned it for a
touchdown. That was the much-needed momentum swing that the Chargers needed.

Notable numbers

Joe Mixon was held to 54 yards on 19 carries (2.8 yards per carry).

Joe Burrow was sacked six times.

The Chargers produced four turnovers (two interceptions, two forced
fumbles).

Los Angeles was 3-of-3 in the red zone.

Stars of the game

QB Justin Herbert: 316 passing yards, three touchdowns, catch, tackle.

WR Keenan Allen, Mike Williams & Jalen Guyton: Combined for 14
receptions, 234 receiving yards, and three touchdowns.

Defense: Four turnovers

Quick takes

– After a down performance a week ago, Justin Herbert turned the page
and delivered in a big way. Herbert let loose, completing passes of 41,
47, 44, and 33 yards on the afternoon.

– Herbert was a lot more efficient going through his reads and with his
decisiveness. In addition, he benefited from the play designs from Joe
Lombardi, which opened things up and let his true skillset show.

– Keenan Allen was a threat in the red zone. Big-play Mike Williams came
to play, responsible for the first two explosive plays. After being
relatively quiet this season, Jalen Guyon was accountable for the other
two, one of which was a touchdown on an impressive contested catch in
the end zone.

– In an unusual manner, Austin Ekeler fumbled the ball twice.
Nonetheless, he still had 104 yards of offense and a score on 19 touches.

– Despite there being four active running backs, Justin Jackson was the
only other who touched the football (six carries for 15 yards).

– Credit goes to Brandon Staley for perfectly designing twists/stunts,
pressure packages, + schemed 1-on-1s to mask the absence of Joey Bosa,
who went down with a head injury.

– Aside from getting to Joe Burrow, the defensive line was a lot more
disciplined against the run. Joe Gaziano and Breiden Fehoko got more
playing time, and Christian Covington stepped up in place of Justin Jones.

– Asante Samuel Jr. was missed once again, and the lack of depth at the
cornerback position showed as a result, as there were way too many chunk
plays given up and a couple of big gains.

– Kyzir White and Drue Tranquill continued to establish themselves as
one of the most underrated linebacker duos in the league. The two
combined for 20 tackles, two for loss, a pass defended, and a sack.

– To win on the road against a Bengals team that was red-hot and not far
off from the No. 1 seed was huge for the Chargers and might’ve been
their biggest win of the season.
What’s next?

The Chargers return home to take on the Giants on Dec. 12 at 1:05 pm PT.

Re: USA Today: Everything we know about Chargers' 41-22 victory over Bengals

<84903e15-f240-4f9b-b81b-92f46e0e5a86n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1666&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1666

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 09:31:59 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: USA Today: Everything we know about Chargers' 41-22 victory over Bengals
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 17:31 UTC

On Sunday, December 5, 2021 at 5:28:10 PM UTC-8, Robin Miller wrote:
> https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2021/12/05/chargers-bengals-recap-justin-herbert-joe-burrow/
>
> – To win on the road against a Bengals team that was red-hot and not far
> off from the No. 1 seed was huge for the Chargers and might’ve been
> their biggest win of the season.

Only competition was the KC win, and that may be less impactful in the long run as the Chiefs have regained their footing and first place in the AFC West. This was huge because of tiebreaker, it may very well make the difference between the Chargers making the playoffs or not.

> What’s next?
>
> The Chargers return home to take on the Giants on Dec. 12 at 1:05 pm PT.

Heard on the radio that the Chargers haven't won back to back games since October 10, so avoiding looking past the Giants is crucial.

Michael