I would rather say that a desire to drive fast sports cars is what sets man apart from the animals.

sport / alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers / 4th down

SubjectAuthor
* 4th downReneG
`* Re: 4th downmax headroom
 `* Re: 4th downphlash74
  `- Re: 4th downEddie Grove

1
4th down

<6e7b1af2-2400-4393-8d28-5db09c628625n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1715&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1715

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 23:36:37 -0800 (PST)
Subject: 4th down
From: reneg1...@gmail.com (ReneG)
 by: ReneG - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 07:36 UTC

It felt like Staley was going on 4th down to prove a point, and not because it was the right thing to do. It cost the team the win. Going on 4th down shouldn't be his "thing". It's getting old.

And what's up with all the dropped passes?!

To finish, I hope Parham is ok. It was scary to see how he was shaking.

Re: 4th down

<spiinr$1n0$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1717&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1717

From: maximush...@gmx.com (max headroom)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Re: 4th down
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 08:08:36 -0800
 by: max headroom - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 16:08 UTC

In news:6e7b1af2-2400-4393-8d28-5db09c628625n@googlegroups.com, ReneG
<reneg1971@gmail.com> typed:

> It felt like Staley was going on 4th down to prove a point, and not because
> it was the right thing to do. It cost the team the win. Going on 4th down
> shouldn't be his "thing". It's getting old.

I don't think you'll get any argument from anybody this morning. Staley let the
team down.

> And what's up with all the dropped passes?!

I suspect it's the same reason for all the deflections at the line of
scrimmage-- Herbert's lost his touch for adjusting his velocity to the
situation.

Last year, he would toss easy lobs over the defensive line to his receivers;
this year every pass looks like a rocket with a lower tragectory resulting in
deflections and dropped passes.

> To finish, I hope Parham is ok. It was scary to see how he was shaking.

I liked that guy when he was playing for the Renegades and was delighted the
Chargers signed him.

Re: 4th down

<b27952fc-13f0-4f33-8fed-aeb8b5b61e11n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1720&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1720

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 11:45:00 -0800 (PST)
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 19:45 UTC

On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 9:51:58 AM UTC-8, max headroom wrote:
> In news:6e7b1af2-2400-4393...@googlegroups.com, ReneG
> <rene...@gmail.com> typed:
> > It felt like Staley was going on 4th down to prove a point, and not because
> > it was the right thing to do. It cost the team the win. Going on 4th down
> > shouldn't be his "thing". It's getting old.
> I don't think you'll get any argument from anybody this morning. Staley let the
> team down.

I'll argue against it. It's results oriented thinking. They had converted over 60% of their 4th down attempts this season prior to last night. If they had gone 3 for 5 rather than 2 for 5 last night, they win the game and no one is criticizing Staley this morning. The only one I thought was questionable was the last play of the first half, I thought it would be good to get at least some points off of the Mahomes fumble especially considering KC was getting the ball to start the 2nd half, but then again if they had scored the TD it would have been 21-10 and then they probably end up winning anyways.

One of their TDs came on a drive where they converted a fourth down rather than attempt a 50 yard FG, and another that was set up by Nwosu's INT came after they eschewed a 29 yard FG try and converted a fourth down to set up first and goal from the 4 before Kelley fumbled on the 3rd down run.

Michael

Re: 4th down

<87fsqqc3pz.fsf@hotmail.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1722&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1722

From: eddiegr...@hotmail.com (Eddie Grove)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 13:37:44 -0800
 by: Eddie Grove - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 21:37 UTC

phlash74 <phlash74@msn.com> writes:

> On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 9:51:58 AM UTC-8, max headroom wrote:
>> In news:6e7b1af2-2400-4393...@googlegroups.com, ReneG
>> <rene...@gmail.com> typed:
>> > It felt like Staley was going on 4th down to prove a point, and not because
>> > it was the right thing to do. It cost the team the win. Going on 4th down
>> > shouldn't be his "thing". It's getting old.
>> I don't think you'll get any argument from anybody this morning. Staley let the
>> team down.
>

> I'll argue against it. It's results oriented thinking.

I was stunned when Aikman said the analytics said to go for it from the
5 yard line. Sure you have a higher expectation [mean], but you have
higher variance as well. A team that is behind or thinks it is inferior
should go for it, but not a playoff team with a lead IMO.

Once again, the analytics don't include your opponent has best 3rd down
defense in the league, and you are missing a [I guess] pro bowl left tackle.

> They had
> converted over 60% of their 4th down attempts this season prior to
> last night.

If it is really odds on to go from the 5 with a lead, scoring from the 2
should be significantly easier and I don't understand kicking PATs when
behind. I heard 2 point conversions are over 50% this year, but could
not track down the statistic and it is team-vs-team dependent anyway. I
am not arguing against you, but this might be inconsistent.

I heard Staley say after the game that this was how they were going to
play, though I don't know what show it was. He was unapologetic and
confident in himself. He is sure it is the right thing to do. Get used
to it.

Eddie