From: sdmike...@gmail.com (Michael T)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Did Chargers misfire once again with a HC hire?
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 16:56:35 -0800
 by: Michael T - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 00:56 UTC

Ah ha, an old axiom from my days betting on NFL games (back in the 1990s)
apparently resurfaced during today's ugly, disappointing loss.

To wit:
Be wary of betting on a team coming off a huge disappointing loss, as was
the case with the Chargers embarrassing loss today to the Texans.

Footnote:
I ask in jest, "Has the once heralded second coming of Don Coryell sadly
become exposed as nothing more than the second coming of Mike McCoy?"

Re: Did Chargers misfire once again with a HC hire?

<j2sq7eFigpnU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1753&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1753

From: robin.mi...@invalid.invalid (Robin Miller)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Subject: Re: Did Chargers misfire once again with a HC hire?
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 22:28:45 -0500
 by: Robin Miller - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 03:28 UTC

Michael T wrote:
> Ah ha, an old axiom from my days betting on NFL games (back in the
> 1990s) apparently resurfaced during today's ugly, disappointing loss.
>
> To wit:
> Be wary of betting on a team coming off a huge disappointing loss, as
> was the case with the Chargers embarrassing loss today to the Texans.
>
> Footnote:
> I ask in jest, "Has the once heralded second coming of Don Coryell sadly
> become exposed as nothing more than the second coming of Mike McCoy?"

I have started to wonder a little bit. Staley seems great and says all
the right things, but the performance isn't there. Is it the players or
the coaches? The defense is completely dependent on Bosa and James. And
why was Herbert so off today?

--Robin

Re: Did Chargers misfire once again with a HC hire?

<3906b6fd-f441-4cf0-9aa9-0fce11093a8bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1760&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1760

Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 07:33:05 -0800 (PST)
From: phlas...@msn.com (phlash74)
 by: phlash74 - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 15:33 UTC

On Sunday, December 26, 2021 at 4:56:37 PM UTC-8, Michael T wrote:
> Ah ha, an old axiom from my days betting on NFL games (back in the 1990s)
> apparently resurfaced during today's ugly, disappointing loss.
>
> To wit:
> Be wary of betting on a team coming off a huge disappointing loss, as was
> the case with the Chargers embarrassing loss today to the Texans.
>
> Footnote:
> I ask in jest, "Has the once heralded second coming of Don Coryell sadly
> become exposed as nothing more than the second coming of Mike McCoy?"

Eh, it's a little early for that. I don't think anyone thought Staley was the new Coryell, but it definitely looked like they had hit on him early in the season. I predicted 10-7 and a 2nd place finish before the season, they still can reach that mark which fairly accurately reflects their talent level imo. I'd give him at least another year before passing judgement on whether he will prove to be a success or failure in the long run.

Michael

Re: Did Chargers misfire once again with a HC hire?

<sqjgn9$7cc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/sport/article-flat.php?id=1764&group=alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers#1764

From: sdmike...@gmail.com (Michael T)
Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.sd-chargers
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 21:39:51 -0800
 by: Michael T - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 05:39 UTC

"phlash74" wrote in message

On Sunday, December 26, 2021 at 4:56:37 PM UTC-8, Michael T wrote:
>> Ah ha, an old axiom from my days betting on NFL games (back in the 1990s)
>> apparently resurfaced during today's ugly, disappointing loss.
> >
>> To wit:
>>Be wary of betting on a team coming off a huge disappointing loss, as was
>> the case with the Chargers embarrassing loss today to the Texans.
>>
>> Footnote:
>> I ask in jest, "Has the once heralded second coming of Don Coryell sadly
>> become exposed as nothing more than the second coming of Mike McCoy?"

>Eh, it's a little early for that. I don't think anyone thought Staley was
>the new Coryell, but it definitely looked like they had hit on him ?>early
>in the season. I predicted 10-7 and a 2nd place finish before the season,
>they still can reach that mark which fairly accurately >reflects their
>talent level imo. I'd give him at least another year before passing
>judgement on whether he will prove to be a success or >failure in the long
>run.

>Michael
**********
Oh my.

I didn't know someone would take me quite so literally. I was speaking
metaphorically.

In my defense there have been articles mentioning Brandon Staley and Don
Coryell in the same breath.

To wit:
"How Brandon Staley can match Don Coryell legendary status"
https://boltbeat.com/2021/06/24/chargers-brandon-staley-don-coryell/

I do agree that they will likely keep him for another year.

MT